2024 NHL Draft: Play Like a Sieve So We Can Draft Zeev

Erep

Jul 17, 2019
I'm kinda feeling Buium as a top 5 guy now. If we have 3 or even 2 and pick Buium, I think I'd be okay with that. I think the top 4 being Celebrini, Demidov, Levshunov, and Buium makes sense.
I know all the amateur scouts love him, but I don't expect Demidov to go in the top 4. I think Pronman having him around 7 is a pretty accurate prediction of where teams will have him.

Whether or not it is right (I don't have a strong opinion), he just feels like that type of player teams will have much lower than fans.

Reactions: Sandisfan

Boy Hedican

Homer Jr, friends call me Ho-Ju
Jul 12, 2006
Earff
Especially a draft like this where there is so much uncertainty in the middle range. Only way I would advocate moving up is if you package 33 and 42 to sneak back into the back end of the 1st round if a guy like Eiserman falls into the early 20's and you want to take a big swing on a boom or bust prospect with an elite trait that could be a gamechanger or a flop.

I wouldn't hate moving a pick though to get a young roster player though if the right situation arises. Doesn't have to be all draft picks if you can find a guy for the right price that fits the age window of the rest of the new core group (though it also hinges upon winning the lottery as there is next to no circumstance I'm doing it without Celebrini in hand).
If DW was GM’ing another team, he’d for sure trade a 20 for that. That’s such a DW move.

coooldude

Jul 25, 2007
Final odds:
"This is f***ing bull***" tier: CHI, ANA, UTA: 32.5%
"Contender or squander" tier: BUF, MTL, NJD, OTT: 21.5%
"meh": CGY, SEA, CBJ: 20.5%

Best odds are for a team that we will be really pissed about, second best odds are for the Sharks.

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013
If DW was GM’ing another team, he’d for sure trade a 20 for that. That’s such a DW move.
Puckpedia has 33+42 = 22nd overall in their tool. Seems about right as a way to move up and nab that guy you had high on your board that slipped a few spots but you don't expect to slip 11 more spots. Be nice if you could pull a move like that while still having ammunition in the way of more picks coming from taking on a couple of bad contracts from other teams.

Habitant#1

Feb 15, 2006
Brisbane
Habs fan here.

Just trying to get a vibe from the teams picking ahead of us!
Reading a few pages it looks like the consensus is a defenceman?

Also, how exciting that you guys also get the 13th pick! There will for sure be someone good left at 13.

Good luck in the lottery, if it's not the Habs, then I hope it's the Sharks!

Cheers!

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California
Habs fan here.

Also, how exciting that you guys also get the 13th pick! There will for sure be someone good left at 13.

Cheers!

We’re getting the 14th, but still very excited. I think if not Celebrini, our assumption is Levshunov or possibly Lindstrom but his injury history is concerning. Our defensive prospects aren’t amazing, so I’d personally consider two swings at a defenseman in the top 15.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Habs fan here.

Cheers!
It’s hard to say. I suspect Levshunov and Lindstrom (assuming his injury isn’t concerning) will be high on our list, but I have no real basis for that other than that we know Grier has traveled to see them play in person and they feel like Grier players. I don’t feel like we’d take Demidov or Catton top-3, but who knows. I hope they’d at least be considered.

Cas

Conversational Black Hole
Sponsor
Jun 23, 2020
OK, barring lottery changes and compensatory picks, the Sharks have the following picks:

1 (own), 14 (PIT)
33 (own), 42 (NJ)
TB 3rd round pick (position to be determined by playoffs)
VGK 4th round pick
130 (ish - Chicago pick), 142 (PIT)
(no 6th round pick)
193 (own 7th)
The Tampa Bay and Vegas picks won't move. They're #85 and #116, respectively. The Chicago pick is also #131, that's been decided (we got the better of the two 5ths they had).

Reactions: Sandisfan

YUPPY

Oct 5, 2020
They should do the lottery live, and as soon as the picks are determined, the team at #1 overall is on the clock
So if they do it live, then the NHL can't give CHI 1st OA again this year. conspiracy are there because all these secrecy.

Cas

Conversational Black Hole
Sponsor
Jun 23, 2020
@Cas so you're assuming they are eliminated in the opening round? If they go further, the picks get later in the round.
I could have sworn that was only for the first round, and apparently it's not. I have no idea why I thought that.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
The only change in order (based on where teams finish in playoffs/RS ranking for non-playoff teams) is the lottery which only impacts 1st round of draft.

So even if the Sharks lose the lottery, their pick will be first in draft round for 2nd through 7th.

Reactions: Erep and Sandisfan

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
First two rounds right? I thought it was only the 3rd and 4th round that changes order.
Draft order is set by RS finish (1-16) and playoff results (17-32). This basic order is the same for all 7 rounds.

The draft lottery only impacts positioning of first round.

(Compnsatory picks, if any, add picks in the 2nd round.)

Reactions: CupfortheSharks

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad