2024 NHL Draft: Play Like a Sieve So We Can Draft Zeev

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California
I’ve been reading about Yakemchuk and he and Levshunov seem like identical players. Giant, highly skilled, Burns-like, hockey sense issues. Are they clones?

Also, the idea of one of them and Muhk as our 1st pairing is quite exciting.

Reactions: Sandisfan

coooldude

Jul 25, 2007
I’ve been reading about Yakemchuk and he and Levshunov seem like identical players. Giant, highly skilled, Burns-like, hockey sense issues. Are they clones?

Also, the idea of one of them and Muhk as our 1st pairing is quite exciting.
I think Yak is more Burns-like. They're both big. Lev is probably more mobile. Yak plays with a bit more of an edge. I personally think Yak is a bit more of a play driver in the OZ, and a bit more of a shooter, Burns like in that way, where Lev feels more like a net crasher/rush joiner / PP QB.

They both have their deficiencies in D zone positioning but they are different flavors. Yak seems like he is quick but gets totally lost. Lev to me can look like he's behind the play and not processing it fully.

I don't think Yak's skating is as much of a problem as some. It mostly seems like as he gets used to his body and focuses on mobility, he'll be able to improve it.

I personally like Yak more but I wouldn't put any money on being right vs. the consensus, which is currently that Lev is higher. Both are raw with high potential.

Stewie Griffin

What the deuce
May 9, 2019
Canada
I still think Levshunov is better than Yak.

He's the better athlete, skating is much better, and he was playing in a higher league. His development curve coming from Belarus is insane. Yakemchuk is still a very good player, big right shot, great wrister from the blue line like Burns, but the skating is choppy, and while he's scoring like Burns, he's doing it in the WHL...will his shot be that good in the NHL, idk. Levshunov gets points by stepping up (sometimes it's questionable) and joining the play. I think he'll piss some coaches off by doing that, but he has the size/skating/talent to do so atleast.

That said, Yakemchuk also plays mean. Either way they're both great prospects. I've just had Levshunov as my 2OA basically all year. He has warts in his game, but you can plug a solid defensive/two-way guy beside him and the pairing would work.

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
Yakemchuk would have been eligible for last year's draft if he were born like two weeks earlier...hard to be impressed with his season given that.

Reactions: Friday

CupfortheSharks

Sponsor
Mar 31, 2008
San Jose
I’m thinking about going to the draft. No tickets available on Ticketmaster or The Sphere website. I know some posters here went last year. Where did you get the tickets?

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
I’m thinking about going to the draft. No tickets available on Ticketmaster or The Sphere website. I know some posters here went last year. Where did you get the tickets?
I was thinking about it too. I saw tickets at one point that were ~$500+. I think they’re sold out now. Could very well be wrong but it was excessively expensive and on ticket master. Now it’s not there at all.

dmcccdmn

Dec 10, 2005
UC Davis

Whoa whoa whoa, Silayev is ranked higher than Demidov?? Does anyone rank Silayev higher than Demidov too? So if we don't win 1OA, we're picking a D, either Lev or Silayev? How does Silayev compared to Lev or even Buium for that matter?

2OA and 3OA picks are even more worrisome now after this final rankings.

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013
Moving up is usually always a bad idea when rebuilding. Quantity of NHL prospects will be the most important.
Especially a draft like this where there is so much uncertainty in the middle range. Only way I would advocate moving up is if you package 33 and 42 to sneak back into the back end of the 1st round if a guy like Eiserman falls into the early 20's and you want to take a big swing on a boom or bust prospect with an elite trait that could be a gamechanger or a flop.

I wouldn't hate moving a pick though to get a young roster player though if the right situation arises. Doesn't have to be all draft picks if you can find a guy for the right price that fits the age window of the rest of the new core group (though it also hinges upon winning the lottery as there is next to no circumstance I'm doing it without Celebrini in hand).

gaucholoco3

Jun 22, 2015
I would consider moving one or both of the 2nds with the Pens pick to move into the top 10 to grad one of the 6 top D. Especially if the Sharks win the lottery and grab Celebrini. All of those D would instantly be our top D prospect and we would have our 1C, 2C and top pairing in the pipeline.

I’m scared that they will all be off the table at 13.

knu

Feb 28, 2012
Fremont CA
I would consider moving one or both of the 2nds with the Pens pick to move into the top 10 to grad one of the 6 top D. Especially if the Sharks win the lottery and grab Celebrini. All of those D would instantly be our top D prospect and we would have our 1C, 2C and top pairing in the pipeline.

I’m scared that they will all be off the table at 13.
That's the tricky part, your fear they will be gone is because they are valued. The fact they are valued makes it very unlikely a team would want to trade back up and switch with us. Especially because high end talent seems to dip quickly and aggressively.

Stewie Griffin

What the deuce
May 9, 2019
Canada
I'm just gonna list guys off the top of my head who should go in an order somewhat similar to this:

Celebrini
Levshunov
Demidov
Silayev
Dickinson
Yakemchuk
Lindstrom
Buium
Catton
Parekh
Helenius
Eiserman
Iginla

That's 13. If we get 13 I'm 100% okay with taking whoever is left out of this group, it's probably Eiserman/Helenius/Parekh. If we get 14 it's a little tougher, but I would be okay with a MBN, Greentree, or Sennecke...maybe Jiricek but the injury makes him a wildcard. After these OHL playoffs I could see Sennecke rise and Eiserman fall even more.

U18s will play a huge factor too.

gaucholoco3

Jun 22, 2015
That's the tricky part, your fear they will be gone is because they are valued. The fact they are valued makes it very unlikely a team would want to trade back up and switch with us. Especially because high end talent seems to dip quickly and aggressively.
Oh that is why with Celebrini I would overpay to move up and grab one of those D. The extra 2nds are not as valuable as the high end talent of the top 6 D.

Reactions: knu

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
I'm kinda feeling Buium as a top 5 guy now. If we have 3 or even 2 and pick Buium, I think I'd be okay with that. I think the top 4 being Celebrini, Demidov, Levshunov, and Buium makes sense.

• Wow

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad