2024 NHL Draft: Play Like a Sieve So We Can Draft Zeev

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
Considering his height is listed differently throughout a few websites someone is clearly lying. Even if it's not intentional, someone has false information. He definitely doesn't look 6'2 out there tho.
He is the same height as Miko Matikka who is listed as 6'3.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
He is listed as a center on every stat site including nhl.com
Should show you that everything is wrong and to trust no one. :sarcasm:

Hoffman has never played C in his NHL career. Sharks website is literally NHL.com. Also you’re just wrong. Capfriendly, elite prospects are the first two I looked at and both say he’s a LW.

TheWayToRefJose

Oct 30, 2017
There’s risk with any pick after Celebrini. I’m pretty indifferent about who we pick if we don’t win the lotto. Seems all have similar upsides (#1D, 1st liner) with equally as scary bust potential.

Lev could be all tools no toolbox, ala Merkley.

Lindstrom could be the next Nolan Patrick.

Zeev could be the next Ryan Murray. Decent player, but not who you want in a top 5 pick.

Demidov could be Kaprizov or Gusev.

Reactions: coooldude

coooldude

Jul 25, 2007
There’s risk with any pick after Celebrini. I’m pretty indifferent about who we pick if we don’t win the lotto. Seems all have similar upsides (#1D, 1st liner) with equally as scary bust potential.

Lev could be all tools no toolbox, ala Merkley.

Lindstrom could be the next Nolan Patrick.

Zeev could be the next Ryan Murray. Decent player, but not who you want in a top 5 pick.

Demidov could be Kaprizov or Gusev.
Perhaps it's a reason to pick Sam "Least Offensive" Dickinson, who could be as good as a Brent Seabrook, but probably won't be a Pietrangelo.

Reactions: Sandisfan

timorous me

Gristled Veteran
Apr 14, 2010
Yes. He’s been listed as 6’2” since the beginning of the season but if you look at WJC content he’s basically the same height as 6’0” Will Smith. I would maybe buy 6’1”, but there’s no chance he’s really 6’2”. I don’t think his brother is 6’4” either, but the point is that there is absolutely a benefit to lying. Being taller helps your draft position. Even if he gets caught at the combine if people have been thinking you’re 6’2” all year, it affects their perception of your ability.
Hey, if Collin Graf can grow five inches between 18 and 21, maybe Zeev can grow one and we can then at least round him up to 6'2"!

dmcccdmn

Dec 10, 2005
UC Davis
Okay guys, let's say we win 1OA but Grier unexpectedly trades down instead of picking Celebrini but instead hauling in multiple first round picks instead with one being a very high 1st rounder. What are your thoughts? Would you do it? If so, what package would you be willing to give up for someone like Celebrini?

CaptainShark

Sep 25, 2004
Fulda, Germany
Okay guys, let's say we win 1OA but Grier unexpectedly trades down instead of picking Celebrini but instead hauling in multiple first round picks instead with one being a very high 1st rounder. What are your thoughts? Would you do it? If so, what package would you be willing to give up for someone like Celebrini?

Everyone who thinks this through needs to get a life as it is never ever gonna happen.

coooldude

Jul 25, 2007
Pronman's April rankings are out. Still two months to go, of course. Reminder, Pronman is typically criticized for his bland descriptions but he is generally seen to be pretty good on predicting how NHL scouts are actually ranking the prospects.

Overall evaluation: "Average draft class", but hold on to your butts.

High level summary focusing on where we'll probably pick:
1. Celebrini, "not quite Bedard level" but a good bet at an elite 2 way centerman
2. Levshunov.
3. Yakemchuk.
4. Buium.
5. Silayev.
6. Catton.

OK. So now that's out of the way, if we take the bold above as true, then the fallers we might be able to pick up on:

11. Lindstrom.
12. Sennecke. Huge riser.
13. Jiricek.
14. Eiserman.
15. Iginla. (Apparently has had a disappointing playoffs).

And for our Round 2 pick:
23. RD Elick (probably won't fall to the range).
27. RD Badinka. I'm guessing he's high on Grier's list, 6'3" big boy.
33. C Jecho. 6'4", maybe Grier takes another shot at the "big center boy" like he already has 2x.

Assuming this is accurate and it stays this way (and other rankings move this way), I'm actually pretty pro jumping for Yak early. I am no pro, but I get the feeling about him that others get about Lev. And if we did that, and then the tier above is available, I think I put them as Lindstrom (who could end up as a power wing, but injury concerns), Jiricek (who could be a solid 2-way RD, but injury concerns), Sennecke, Iginla. Iggy I think got a lot of hype but Sennecke has been getting a ton of buzz last 3 months.

If we ended up with Lev/Yak and Lindstrom, or Lev/Yak and Jiricek, that's a prospect pool transforming draft. I would personally argue that any of those 3 D will be our top D prospect, so having 2 new ones above Mukh would be amazing. Lindstrom given injury concerns would probably slot in behind Smith as a prospect. Honestly kind of a Musty-style prospect - big, mobile, a little nasty, goal scorer, can be a playmaker.

Last edited:

Stewie Griffin

What the deuce
May 9, 2019
Canada
Let's look at some likely options now:

Our pick (1): Celebrini
(2/3): Levshunov seems to be the most consistent ranked in the top 3 (other than macklin), I think the other would depend on the team picking.

(13/14): Parekh, Eiserman, Greentree, Helenius, Sennecke. I think we'd have to trade up for Dickinson, Silayev, Catton, or Lindstrom.

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
Pronman's April rankings are out. Still two months to go, of course. Reminder, Pronman is typically criticized for his bland descriptions but he is generally seen to be pretty good on predicting how NHL scouts are actually ranking the prospects.

Overall evaluation: "Average draft class", but hold on to your butts.

High level summary focusing on where we'll probably pick:
1. Celebrini, "not quite Bedard level" but a good bet at an elite 2 way centerman
2. Levshunov.
3. Yakemchuk.
4. Buium.
5. Silayev.
6. Catton.

OK. So now that's out of the way, if we take the bold above as true, then the fallers we might be able to pick up on:

11. Lindstrom.
12. Sennecke. Huge riser.
13. Jiricek.
14. Eiserman.
15. Iginla. (Apparently has had a disappointing playoffs).

And for our Round 2 pick:
23. RD Elick (probably won't fall to the range).
27. RD Badinka. I'm guessing he's high on Grier's list, 6'3" big boy.
33. C Jecho. 6'4", maybe Grier takes another shot at the "big center boy" like he already has 2x.

Assuming this is accurate and it stays this way (and other rankings move this way), I'm actually pretty pro jumping for Yak early. I am no pro, but I get the feeling about him that others get about Lev. And if we did that, and then the tier above is available, I think I put them as Lindstrom (who could end up as a power wing, but injury concerns), Jiricek (who could be a solid 2-way RD, but injury concerns), Sennecke, Iginla. Iggy I think got a lot of hype but Sennecke has been getting a ton of buzz last 3 months.

If we ended up with Lev/Yak and Lindstrom, or Lev/Yak and Jiricek, that's a prospect pool transforming draft. I would personally argue that any of those 3 D will be our top D prospect, so having 2 new ones above Mukh would be amazing. Lindstrom given injury concerns would probably slot in behind Smith as a prospect. Honestly kind of a Musty-style prospect - big, mobile, a little nasty, goal scorer, can be a playmaker.
Pronman is the only internet scout worth a damn because A) like you said, seems to have his finger on the pulse of what NHL scouting departments actually think and B) he had the rare humility to realize evaluating players based on flash and puck skills was stupid and reversed course.

knu

Feb 28, 2012
Fremont CA
I will continue to shout "Trade up!" from the rafters. I do see it as difficult though, the teams below us don't seem like they are in a "quantity over quality" mode.

Stewie Griffin

What the deuce
May 9, 2019
Canada
I will continue to shout "Trade up!" from the rafters. I do see it as difficult though, the teams below us don't seem like they are in a "quantity over quality" mode.
The problem is every team wants to trade up using their quantity for quality. I regularly visit other team's 2024 draft threads and they all say this. If every wants to trade up...who is going to trade down

Jul 10, 2010
maybe we can convince NJ to swap 13/their 2nd for their 1st if a Dickinson falls. I think NJ would value assets to improve their team now

Makoshark

Sep 19, 2018
Humboldt County
Screw it lets trade back a few spots from 3rd and draft our future first line pairing in Silayev and Parekh. Grab Freij in the early 20's. D prospect pool re-stacked. Focus on forwards next draft.

Reactions: Roasted Nuts

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Dickinson as Pronman’s 6th ranked defenseman shocked me at first but I kinda agree with him.

2. Levshunov
3. Yakemchuk
4. Buium
5. Silayev
7. Parekh
9. Dickinson
13. Jiricek (big RHD)
23. Elick (big RHD)
27. Badinka (big RHD)
29. Kiviharju
30. Sahlin-Wallenius
31. Kleber (big RHD)

He has Sennecke and Jiricek up alongside the tier of 13 that I feel cuts off the high-end talent. I originally had Jiricek up there but without seeing him play after that major knee injury, I just can’t commit to it.

I think there will be some good players available at 33 and 42.

themelkman

Always Delivers
Apr 26, 2015
Calgary, Alberta
I like Yak a lot. I’m a little biased but I think he’s one of the better choices in that group. If we get 2 I would try to trade down to 4-5 personally.

I want to steer very clear of Silayev. Seems like the guy who ends up just being a meh nhl player but loved because he’s massive rather than talent based

Reactions: DG93

sharski

Jun 4, 2012
I just had the most gross tankathon run. Out of ten times, Sharks won 1st overall once, 2nd overall not at all, and 3rd 9 times. But the worst thing of all is Chicago won 1st 4 times in a row and 5 times all together. 🤮🤮🤮
you were definitely playing in Realism mode

Stewie Griffin

What the deuce
May 9, 2019
Canada
I know the overwhelming idea is to get a defenseman with the Pittsburgh pick but if Eisermsn is available, I think you have to take him for his goal scoring prowess. We lack that after trading Timo.
We'd obviously consider Eiserman given the BU thing and our need of a sniper. Even if he becomes our own Cole Caufield (but bigger) that's a huge add.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I know the overwhelming idea is to get a defenseman with the Pittsburgh pick but if Eisermsn is available, I think you have to take him for his goal scoring prowess. We lack that after trading Timo.
I don't think you have to because we drafted Musty and Halttunen. If he's the best available at the time then I'd consider it but I'd also consider trading back if that's the case and see what we can get.

• Wow
Reactions: DG93 and Sandisfan

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad