2024 NHL Draft: WE DID IT, CELEBRINI IS OURS!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

one2gamble

Dec 24, 2007
You are right about most development happening outside of the actual game itself, but what these families are in it for is A) the higher level of competition that the So. Cal market can produce, and B) the practices and ice time they get outside of games.

If you join a club, you don't just play games, you get on ice practice with the club, off ice practice with the club etc.

The big advantage of the So. Cal teams, is that their NHL counterparts have invested heavily into youth hockey. The amount of rinks that both the Kings and the Ducks have in So. Cal compared to the Sharks is staggering. San Jose has 3 facilities, and only one of them produces the higher end teams that compete with the So. Cal teams.

They also have a MUCH larger population of kids to pull from, so the talent level is automatically going to be better. Not to mention former NHL players who retire and move to So. Cal. There isn't a ton of ex NHL'ers who decide to retire to the Bay Area.

Also, it makes much more sense to hop on a Southwest flight to Orange County a few times a month than travel across the country to Boston for your Childs youth hockey, so this is why a lot of parents do this.
This argument is much different than the one made earlier and would make sense for Macklin and his family. "There isnt enough high end talent or competition" is different than "actively harmed his development".

It's a legitimate gripe that the Sharks have not done more to foster hockey growth in northern California, the front office has been inept and without a clear vision since inception. Southern California hockey though is not exactly a historical development area either. The Kings didn't do a whole lot for most of their existence. The Sharks are behind but hockey on the west coast has only started getting serious over the last 10-15 years at most. The state hasn't even gotten their universities serious about Hockey.

That said, you could probably add 10 sheets of ice around San Jose/Sout Bay/Central Coast tomorrow and they would be full.

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013
A buddy from Livermore has a kid that is a pretty talented hockey player, and they drive him to SoCal every weekend rather than have him play with the Jr Sharks.
Almost like the area that has better hockey players in a larger quantity is going to be more desirable for the very good players than the place with fewer good hockey players. This happens in all different types of sports at that level.

cydjericho

Jul 15, 2006
This argument is much different than the one made earlier and would make sense for Macklin and his family. "There isnt enough high end talent or competition" is different than "actively harmed his development".

It's a legitimate gripe that the Sharks have not done more to foster hockey growth in northern California, the front office has been inept and without a clear vision since inception. Southern California hockey though is not exactly a historical development area either. The Kings didn't do a whole lot for most of their existence. The Sharks are behind but hockey on the west coast has only started getting serious over the last 10-15 years at most. The state hasn't even gotten their universities serious about Hockey.

That said, you could probably add 10 sheets of ice around San Jose/Sout Bay/Central Coast tomorrow and they would be full.
This actually is not true. The Jr. Kings were rated #1 in the country not long ago for youth development. Which is surprising that they beat out all the East Coast youth organizations.

cydjericho

Jul 15, 2006
I’m happy for the fact that San Jose even has three facilities for this. I mean this is the Silicon Valley. I see it growing.
There are more than 3 rinks in the Bay Area, its just the Sharks are in control of 3 of them. However they spend ZERO money in Fremont and Oakland, and only focus on Sharks Ice in San Jose.

Their "contrabution" of the Fremont and Oakland rinks consist of throwing up a few banners of players (most of which have been traded long ago).

It's quite a site to see banners of Brent Burns and Timo Mier hanging on the walls of these rinks.

Hell, they just RECENTLY pulled the huge mural of Martin Jones down at Sharks Ice in San Jose so.

Alaskanice

Sep 23, 2009
1 1/2 hours away
There are more than 3 rinks in the Bay Area, its just the Sharks are in control of 3 of them. However they spend ZERO money in Fremont and Oakland, and only focus on Sharks Ice in San Jose.

Their "contrabution" of the Fremont and Oakland rinks consist of throwing up a few banners of players (most of which have been traded long ago).

It's quite a site to see banners of Brent Burns and Timo Mier hanging on the walls of these rinks.

Hell, they just RECENTLY pulled the huge mural of Martin Jones down at Sharks Ice in San Jose so.
The only rink around this area when I was growing up was in the Sunvalley Mall. I didn’t even know what hockey was at that time.

cydjericho

Jul 15, 2006
This is very true, can't do much about that. Also they have two franchises

What? A lot of former Sharks retire to the Bay Area. Are you saying that a lot of former NHLers who didn't play for the Ducks or Kings retire to LA? I would be surprised, unless their spouses/families are from there. Lots of NHLers retire to Canada or the East Coast cities their families are in.

Look, maybe you're right and Macklin has a bias against the Sharks. Do we think Adam Fantilli, in a vaguely ducks-colored suit, was stoked to fall to the Columbus Blue Jackets, whose actual big league NHL club is a cluster*** and has been for decades? But he signed and reported. I just would be amazed if one year of a bad junior experience is enough to cause this kind of reaction.
If there are a lot of ex NHL'ers in the Bay Area, they do not participate in youth hockey I can tell you that much. The only ones I've come in contact with are Cheecho, Hannan, and Mark Smith. Where as a large percentage of the So. Cal teams have an ex NHL'er apart of their coaching staff (not all played with the Kings or the Ducks).

And like I said before, this all could be for moot, my main point is that this is just the Sharks way. For the FIRST time in this Franchise's history, they have an opportunity to finally draft a franchise talent, and that talent has baggage with the club ahead of time.

We all love to claim that the NHL hates the Sharks, but if they end up winning the draft lottery, there is a bit of spite with Macklin and his family towards the Sharks, and that just sucks.

I'm sure in the history of the NHL this has happened before, but it is so like the Sharks that this could happen with their very first 1OA draft pick.

CaptainShark

Sep 25, 2004
Fulda, Germany
I want everyone to know I constantly read this thread as Slacklin' for Macklin.
As this guy thinks telling us about his reading disability is more important than tooting his own horn, i will gladly do the latter (though tooting someone else’s horn sounds oh so wrong to me):

Haven’t listened to it yet, but I am looking forward to it.

gaucholoco3

Jun 22, 2015
With regards to So Cal youth hockey not only do they have a dramatically larger population to pull from but the so cal teams also billet players from farther away than nor cal even at the 10 year old level. So the best players also didn’t grow up in so cal.

Reactions: Sandisfan

Shark Finn

∀dministrator
Jan 5, 2012
Herwood
Off-topic from the previous topic but certainly on-topic regarding the thread itself..

I like the fact that now that finishing last is a real option, the growing concern is now the mere 25.5% odds of winning the lottery. No matter what, it's still the best odds and would secure a top-3 pick. Last season I set my expectations at 7th overall and they got to pick 4th. This season I set my expectations on yet another 4th overall pick and they might just improve on that.

I get that everyone wants Celebrini. I want too. This year is probably, hopefully, the ultimate low point of this rebuild and Celebrini would ease the pain of it and make the future brighter. But there's always going to be a team that sweeps the Sharks in the Conference Finals, so who cares who we pick, ever. :sarcasm:

Reactions: coooldude

jMoneyBrah

Jan 10, 2013
South Bay
I mean, if Rick is tryna boost youth hockey in the Bay Area, I can think of no one thing that could help that more than a superstar homegrown kid playing for the home franchise. If Macklin has the goods it gives so many kids an example of someone from their town that made it to the show. Now that would still be the case if Macklin plays for SJ or not, but it’s certainly amplified if he does play in San Jose.

That being said, I hope it doesn’t turn into a situation here or anywhere else Macklin gets drafted where his dad’s opinion becomes the story. I can’t think of anything less enjoyable for a young athlete trying to break into their league than having not only to hear your parents opinions on everything directly from them, but also on the front page too. Having to “aww shucks, they mean well” while your parent come off the top rope with their hot takes… let’s hope the kid gets to be the star of his own story.

As a filmmaker who left San Francisco to move to LA, I’m sorry…
jim-carrey-liar-liar.gif

Kcoyote3

Half-wall Hockey - link below!
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2012
www.half-wallhockey.com
As this guy thinks telling us about his reading disability is more important than tooting his own horn, i will gladly do the latter (though tooting someone else’s horn sounds oh so wrong to me):

Haven’t listened to it yet, but I am looking forward to it.
Hahah I was going to update the thread tomorrow! Thanks for the shout out

Reactions: coooldude

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California
What I'm learning here is that my hockey career was derailed not by my lack of skill or athleticism but the coaching I received at Sharks ice. I will be suing the them

Sort of similarly, the Sharks have been trying to sign me and I’d like to but my dad doesn’t like the Barracuda so I’m going to stay with my Wednesday night intermediate beer league roller hockey team.

SjMilhouse

Jul 18, 2012
I'd be shocked if anything came from this story. When was the last time a 1st overall pick actually held out/demanded to not go to the team picking 1st overall? Lindros?

Edit: Especially when it seems to be (assuming it's true) his dad that has issues. Always a risk, but definitely different when it's a parent vs the player themselves in the rumors. Plus how bad could his development have been impacted? He's a consensus 1st overall pick

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Lecce vs Udinese
    Lecce vs Udinese
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $100.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Czechia vs Switzerland