2024 NHL Draft Picks 11, 43, 75, 107, 108, 171, 203, 222

toddkaz

Nov 25, 2022
Morreale -- Konsta Helenius: He's skilled, quick and has a high compete level. The right-handed shot's 36 points were the fourth-most points in a Liiga season by an under-18 player. He also scored five power-play goals, went 50.2 percent on face-offs and averaged 16:57 of ice time in 51 games.

Sounds good.

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
Usually around this time of the year I'm looking at all the draft mocks and feeling like everybody I really want is almost definitely going to be gone by the time we pick. This year, not so much...it's a deep 1st round and no one knows what any other team is going to do (other than SJ) so pretty much no matter what there will be quality to choose from at #11. It's going to be a fun draft night, much less stressful than last year when I was begging the TV to let ZB9 fall to us at #13.

Old Navy Goat

Apr 24, 2003
Pattaya Thailand aka adult Disneyland
Steve at DA with his take on things:

His rankings are a bit controversial, but I think that's because pretty much 2 - 15 you could toss in a blender as there's little separation outside of personal preferences

dickiedunnwrotethis

It's gotta be true.
May 16, 2009
saskatoon
His rankings are a bit controversial, but I think that's because pretty much 2 - 15 you could toss in a blender as there's little separation outside of personal preferences
I enjoy his ability to resist groupthink. Nice to see that he likes two of my favorite Russian prospects after Demidov: Chernyshov and Surin. If the the Sabres reach, those are two who I would be most comfortable with. Since Catton won't be taken (because I'm not allowed nice things) my list of candidates who I would be happy with is down to Helenius, Nygard, Chernyshov, Surin and Greentree. Sennecke doesn't make my list because he will be long gone.

Old Navy Goat

Apr 24, 2003
Pattaya Thailand aka adult Disneyland
I enjoy his ability to resist groupthink. Nice to see that he likes two of my favorite Russian prospects after Demidov: Chernyshov and Surin. If the the Sabres reach, those are two who I would be most comfortable with. Since Catton won't be taken (because I'm not allowed nice things) my list of candidates who I would be happy with is down to Helenius, Nygard, Chernyshov, Surin and Greentree. Sennecke doesn't make my list because he will be long gone.
I'm not a Greentree fan, his footspeed will be a tough obstacle in the NHL. I love Surin for his meanstreak but I think his offense is too limiting. Saying that, watching him take a number and then destroy that player later puts a big smile on my face.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation

Surin would be a dream pick but I figure he's going in the mid-20's or so at this point. They need that sort of aggressive physical play in the top 6 and he provides... oh man does he provide.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
I respect his viewpoints a lot because he watches a ton and pays very little attention to the noise and biases at draft time.

My only minor criticism is that be pretty much stays locked into his opinions by christmas (if not earlier) and doesn’t seem to change much after that.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY

11. Buffalo Sabres (Pick by Wheeler): Carter Yakemchuk, RHD, Calgary Hitmen

The Sabres have drafted a lot of smaller, skilled forwards like Catton and Helenius, and while they’d surely still consider both here and their NHL roster has a strong (and young) nucleus with Owen Power, Rasmus Dahlin, Mattias Samuelsson and Bowen Byram, their pool does lack a premium D prospect and they go get it with Yakemchuk. Sennecke would make some sense and offer something a little different here as well.

43. Buffalo Sabres (Pick by Wheeler): Aron Kiviharju, LHD, HIFK

Once viewed as one of the top D prospects in the class, Kiviharju’s lost draft year to a knee injury, smaller stature and fine-but-unspectacular U18 worlds push him into the second round. With the Sabres blue line well-positioned, they can afford to play the long game with him and make sure he gets lots of game action before coming over.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Last edited:

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I view Kiviharju in the same light as Eiserman: Do. Not. Want.

Even in the 2nd round.

Looking at the cupboard and thinking "yeah, another offensive defenseman --- and this one is undersized! --- is what they need at that point is mindboggling. But thinking anyone can have a handle on every team's prospect depth is also hard so I can understand that a bit. Yet I pay for that coverage. Bleh.

Reactions: SECRET SQUIRREL

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
Kiviharju looks weird, I'd look for a player like Wahlberg in the second round.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Kiviharju looks weird, I'd look for a player like Wahlberg in the second round.

Depends on the skill you want most. Basha isn't small (6') and is eager on the puck. Howe is tenacious. Jecho is big but inconsistent. Stiga is tiny but competes for pucks and beats bigger players all over the ice.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
Depends on the skill you want most. Basha isn't small (6') and is eager on the puck. Howe is tenacious. Jecho is big but inconsistent. Stiga is tiny but competes for pucks and beats bigger players all over the ice.
Well, that means there are options there, which is already good.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad