2024 NHL Draft Picks 11, 43, 75, 107, 108, 171, 203, 222

Faceboner

Jan 6, 2022
At 11 if things go kinda like they're predicted and he's there I like Helenius.
Him or MBN for me I like how nygard projects safely as a mid six utility wing that can do it all good defensive zone game and a good forecheck while helenius has higher upside I feel like Brandsegg-Nygard has more elements to his game.

Reactions: Misko

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
Call me a stat watcher (I am), but Nygard's point totals combined with his early birthday don't inspire me. You're really banking that he's the player from the playoffs/U20 and not HA.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Call me a stat watcher (I am), but Nygard's point totals combined with his early birthday don't inspire me. You're really banking that he's the player from the playoffs/U20 and not HA.

No, having watched about 10 of his Allsvenskan games, I am very interested in that guy.

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
No, having watched about 10 of his Allsvenskan games, I am very interested in that guy.

How is he so good but unable to produce offensively? He's an october birthday, he's more than half a year older than Helenius.

This isn't attacking your appraisal. I'm genuinely confused.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Having not paid any real attention to this year’s draft class, what seems to be the general consensus on “tiers” this year? It seems like Celebrini has cemented himself as the clear #1, but what kind of brackets are we looking at after that?

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
Having not paid any real attention to this year’s draft class, what seems to be the general consensus on “tiers” this year? It seems like Celebrini has cemented himself as the clear #1, but what kind of brackets are we looking at after that?

There's about 2 other players in a tier and then about 8 in tier 3. After Celebrini it gets pretty fluid imo

Reactions: Chainshot

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA

I don't think there's a clear definition of general consensus tiers yet. You're right that Celebrini is in a tier on his own.

But after that? There's a big mush of players from 2 to somewhere in the late teens (like 17/18/19). You could look at 5 different rankings and get 5 different tier delineations.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
How is he so good but unable to produce offensively? He's an october birthday, he's more than half a year older than Helenius.

This isn't attacking your appraisal. I'm genuinely confused.

He's the most productive of what is Mora's 2nd line of kids despite being the youngest. Steen(19), Vesterheim(20) and him are sort of a discount version of the Djurgarden Lekkerimaki-Ostlund-Ohgren trio with BM as the Ohgren role. He was third on their team in playoff scoring, a point behind a 34 year-old and a 27 year-old, and is mid-range in terms of draft eligible guys coming out of Allsvenskan in points/points-per-game related to a bunch of others. I wouldn't call that unable to produce. MBN could be described as boring. He goes up and down the wing and does his job, particularly on how he hunts pucks on the forecheck.

Perhaps he's not 11OA worthy given what is around him, but I have fewer questions about him being a mid-line glue guy than I do if Yakemchuk is smarter than a box of rocks or Parekh ever decides to defend without just clubbing someone in the head or if Lindstrom's back is already shot at 17.

Helenius is an excellent prospect. It sounds like he's getting a look for the WC team and might play both the U18's and that which seems like a great way to showcase what he can do and answer any questions people have about him. I honestly like him a smidge better than Ostlund because he seems to be stocker in the lower body so him filling out to NHL size seems like less of a concern.

*shrug*

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation

I. Celebrini

II. Demidov
Levshunov

III. Lindstrom
Catton
Parekh
Dickinson
Silayev
Buium
Helenius
Yakemchuk
(Eiserman)

Seems to be the breakdown though I have seen Lev down in the threes and Lindstrom up in the twos.

Edit - Tij Iginla is climbing and had a great playoff. He's probably in the tier III and Eiserman may not be any more.

Last edited:

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
I. Celebrini

II. Demidov
Levshunov

III. Lindstrom
Catton
Parekh
Dickinson
Silayev
Buium
Helenius
Yakemchuk
(Eiserman)

Seems to be the breakdown though I have see Lev down in the threes and Lindstrom up in the twos.

Edit - Tij Iginla is climbing and had a great playoff. He's probably in the tier III and Eiserman may not be any more.

That's what I'm tracking as well. Personally I'd just include Iginla and expand III

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
That's what I'm tracking as well. Personally I'd just include Iginla and expand III

I think Tij is in there and pushes Eiserman out. Teams may be wary of one-trick NTDP goal scorers at this point with how Wahlstrom and Bellows have struggled to add to their games with how Eiserman just hasn't done the work IMO to be a more complete player. Doesn't mean he won't turn out, just that buyer beware.

Reactions: Doug Prishpreed

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
He's the most productive of what is Mora's 2nd line of kids despite being the youngest. Steen(19), Vesterheim(20) and him are sort of a discount version of the Djurgarden Lekkerimaki-Ostlund-Ohgren trio with BM as the Ohgren role. He was third on their team in playoff scoring, a point behind a 34 year-old and a 27 year-old, and is mid-range in terms of draft eligible guys coming out of Allsvenskan in points/points-per-game related to a bunch of others. I wouldn't call that unable to produce. MBN could be described as boring. He goes up and down the wing and does his job, particularly on how he hunts pucks on the forecheck.

Perhaps he's not 11OA worthy given what is around him, but I have fewer questions about him being a mid-line glue guy than I do if Yakemchuk is smarter than a box of rocks or Parekh ever decides to defend without just clubbing someone in the head or if Lindstrom's back is already shot at 17.

Helenius is an excellent prospect. It sounds like he's getting a look for the WC team and might play both the U18's and that which seems like a great way to showcase what he can do and answer any questions people have about him. I honestly like him a smidge better than Ostlund because he seems to be stocker in the lower body so him filling out to NHL size seems like less of a concern.

*shrug*

Thanks Chain. That explains some of my hesitation, I wasn't particularly keen on Ostlund for similar reasons. The more of the same vs something new argument is compelling but dangerous.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
I. Celebrini

II. Demidov
Levshunov

III. Lindstrom
Catton
Parekh
Dickinson
Silayev
Buium
Helenius
Yakemchuk
(Eiserman)

Seems to be the breakdown though I have see Lev down in the threes and Lindstrom up in the twos.

I like most of these players, plus a bunch others for the #11 pick.

The only ones who frighten me are: Silayev, Parekh, and Eiserman, though I wouldn't complain if we picked them. The two defenders would probably be considered a steal at 11.

I think Tij is in there and pushes Eiserman out. Teams may be wary of one-trick NTDP goal scorers at this point with how Wahlstrom and Bellows have struggled to add to their games with how Eiserman just hasn't done the work IMO to be a more complete player. Doesn't mean he won't turn out, just that buyer beware.
Even when scouts like Eiserman, they compare him to players I don't really love, which is rare.

Fly Boy

Aye Sir!
Jul 29, 2009
Michigan

*shrug*
He brings almost everything the rest of the prospect pool doesn't have. I also remember seeing somewhere that statistically he profiles as very similar to Filip Forsberg in his draft year. That's a damn good player.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
He brings almost everything the rest of the prospect pool doesn't have. I also remember seeing somewhere that statistically he profiles as very similar to Filip Forsberg in his draft year. That's a damn good player.

Yeah, there is some similarity in production. I like him because he is the sort of guy who can mine pucks and work the walls while still being effective in an offensive sense which is very much a missing from the prospect pool. That is probably what drew me to him early - same thing with But last year (which lead to finding out Simashev is really, really good) being BIG. And not for nothing, Jecho this year for sure is someone to look at because they need some variety into the pool.

Fly Boy

Aye Sir!
Jul 29, 2009
Michigan
Speaking of MBN. Considering how much Adams and co. seemed to like Kasper a few years ago, I could see Nygard being pretty high on their list. Similar traits there although not a center.

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
Speaking of MBN. Considering how much Adams and co. seemed to like Kasper a few years ago, I could see Nygard being pretty high on their list. Similar traits there although not a center.

So far I would not consider Kasper to be a great use of a top 10 pick. That could change in the future.
I'd have wanted him if available. Was big on him and Nazar (and Snuggerud for obvious and also hockey reasons).

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
Are any of our current prospects really good at faceoffs? I looked on Quanthockey but their AHL coverage doesn't include that stat and neither does the AHL website.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
So far I would not consider Kasper to be a great use of a top 10 pick. That could change in the future.
I'd have wanted him if available. Was big on him and Nazar (and Snuggerud for obvious and also hockey reasons).
I liked Nazar more than Kasper but I liked Kasper. I missed on Snuggerud

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I like most of these players, plus a bunch others for the #11 pick.

The only ones who frighten me are: Silayev, Parekh, and Eiserman, though I wouldn't complain if we picked them. The two defenders would probably be considered a steal at 11.

Even when scouts like Eiserman, they compare him to players I don't really love, which is rare.

One of my issues with Eiserman is who is the transition guy to get him the puck in scoring position and use his biggest strength? I would be bothered by that pick because my spidey sense tingles that he's kind of lazy and wants someone else to deliver the puck. In another era, there could be some Brett Hull comps (not all, some) as a guy who is going to let someone else do all the work but he's going to cut the opposite way from how everyone else tracks to get to an open patch to deliver his shot. Ugh, I hate direct comps... :laugh:

Parekh could be Erik Karlsson. He could be Mintykov 2.0(ish). His d-zone game though is something that one would have to extrapolate to find sufficient and while defense can be taught, looking at what from Buffalo's standpoint that it would be another offenseman for a team with a bunch of guys who are already that. Best player available though, could be him there and it's hard to pass that up. We never know how fast a roster position is going to churn - trades, injury, free agency, development stagnation.

Silayev straight up scares me. He's enormous. He moves so well. And I missed his early season offensive production so what I've watched I have not been impressed. He doesn't give me Simashev vibes, I'm not seeing d-zone stuff that makes me warm and fuzzy. But at 11? Yeah, that would be a solid choice but of the three, he is the one I have the most trepidation about.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Are any of our current prospects really good at faceoffs? I looked on Quanthockey but their AHL coverage doesn't include that stat and neither does the AHL website.

Hell, the AHL doesn't even track TOI.

Faceoffs are a teachable skill but the student has to be willing to learn. Kozak is probably the best, but shy of going back to review old games (and with his brittleness this year, those are fewer than I would want), I don't have actual counting stats to point to.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Thanks Chain. That explains some of my hesitation, I wasn't particularly keen on Ostlund for similar reasons. The more of the same vs something new argument is compelling but dangerous.

Welcome. I'm just watching and trying to quantify what I see. And I get that I f***ing struggle with getting that point across. :biglaugh:

I am trying to remove the more of the same to my thoughts at 11OA. ONG has been long on the Helenius wagon and watching a bit of his playoff, yeah, that guy is going to be something. Then it's using another of the sub-six footers to make the team better elsewhere. The rosters are so fluid, it's hard to even think "yeah, all of the NHL guys are going to soak up minutes for years and years" and then realize the pipeline is empty in just a couple of seasons while guys are hurt or traded or don't improve.

It is super dangerous to draft purely for size. I appreciate that they went with more jam in the 2nd round last year, the Strbak and Wahlberg picks are that sort of thing but both fit right where they were selected. I would hate to see Buffalo go MBN (or Greentree or even Senecke) and see Parekh turn out to be EK 2.0 taken a pick later. How much though...

Reactions: Old Navy Goat

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Hey @Fjordy Nabokov has himself a championship. 1.86 GAA and .941 save percentage going into today's 2-1 win I would imagine have teams beside themselves thinking about what they could have in one more year.

Reactions: Fjordy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad