NFL: 2024 NFL draft discussion thread, Draft begins 4/25 8pm, 4/26 6pm, 4/27 12pm

Donnie740

May 28, 2021
NFL teams finally understood that it’s completely illogical to draft a RB at the top of the 1st round and even more nonsensical to give big money to a RB after his rookie deal.

The RBs even had an emergency symposium to discuss the “crisis” of them not getting $20M+ contracts.

Sooner of later the league the NFL is going to come to the same realization about WRs.

In reality, RBs have much more of an impact than WRs - - way more touches and also block to protect the QB when they’re not getting the ball.

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
There are multiple different ways to measure the likelihood of getting a good player at a position in a certain round in the NFL draft. Garbage analysis is never the answer.

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL

Eagerly awaiting people to overreact to this despite the fact that WE ALL KNOW that Nabers is insanely fast and explosive. It's all over his tape. That's not to say it's unimportant, just that people shouldn't push him up their boards because they're double counting his athleticism.

AD Mitchell having similar testing numbers (same-ish 40, lower vert, longer broad) is much more interesting to me, since it's not obvious on the tape that he's that insanely fast and explosive.

red devil

Oct 14, 2004
What's going on with Daniels elbow?

This seems like the explanation for it

Last edited:

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014

200w.gif

@Blackhawkswincup thoughts?

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Some noise out there that Darius Robinson is going to end up in round 1 because of how he's performed during the draft process

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
UW and Penix Jr. had their pro day. He ran the 40 in under 4.6 seconds and did a 35 inch vertical. Not that either one really does anything for a QB. No one really going to ask him to do any RPOs in the pros.

It's more whether he crafted his throwing session to make some on the move throws. They've seen him spin in with a clean pocket. Question is more how he does if he has to reset his feet then make the throw. Plus take snaps under center.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017

We know that the price is super high. Raiders, just don't have enough on the roster to move up. And there is really zero reason for either Was or NE to pass on a QB when there is no guarantee that they would be back there again.

I mean, if Carolina wasn't terrible and maybe ran it back with Wilks and gave up pick 4 vs 1, is Chicago in any better position now? At 4, could draft McCarthy and sit him behind Fields who would need to ball to get a contract for 2025. Or they take MHJr and sign Fields.

So, really, dropping out of 2/3 means that in another year or two when you are ready to get a QB, it will cost you roughly the same package to go back up.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
We know that the price is super high. Raiders, just don't have enough on the roster to move up. And there is really zero reason for either Was or NE to pass on a QB when there is no guarantee that they would be back there again.

I mean, if Carolina wasn't terrible and maybe ran it back with Wilks and gave up pick 4 vs 1, is Chicago in any better position now? At 4, could draft McCarthy and sit him behind Fields who would need to ball to get a contract for 2025. Or they take MHJr and sign Fields.

So, really, dropping out of 2/3 means that in another year or two when you are ready to get a QB, it will cost you roughly the same package to go back up.
The reason to pass up on the quarterbacks is because you’ve identified that you do not want to build around any of them.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
The reason to pass up on the quarterbacks is because you’ve identified that you do not want to build around any of them.
Correct, if you view them as red flags, but so far, nothing I've seen/read would indicate a red flag. Everything is just something that can be a negative for a QB, be it footwork, frame, release, etc.

but, the reality is that there is really no perfect QB coming out of college. Even the highly regarded Luck and Lawrence. With Burrow, it was nothing atheletically that made you go wow. I thought the Romo comp physically was accurate. About the same size, arm strength, mobility. Burrow just has ice in his veins and a cool confident attitude.

You can't really go anywhere without a good QB. Not sure how NE/Was would solve their QB situations as running Brissett/Mariotta for multiple years isn't the answer.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Correct, if you view them as red flags, but so far, nothing I've seen/read would indicate a red flag. Everything is just something that can be a negative for a QB, be it footwork, frame, release, etc.

but, the reality is that there is really no perfect QB coming out of college. Even the highly regarded Luck and Lawrence. With Burrow, it was nothing atheletically that made you go wow. I thought the Romo comp physically was accurate. About the same size, arm strength, mobility. Burrow just has ice in his veins and a cool confident attitude.

You can't really go anywhere without a good QB. Not sure how NE/Was would solve their QB situations as running Brissett/Mariotta for multiple years isn't the answer.
If they’re not your guy, then that’s the evaluation. You shouldn’t be drafting quarterbacks just because you think you’re supposed to.

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
If they’re not your guy, then that’s the evaluation. You shouldn’t be drafting quarterbacks just because you think you’re supposed to.
To be in a place to get a top QB but to also believe your evaluations to pass on one requires complete buy in from ownership. Otherwise, going this route very well could lead to a housecleaning the next season if the owner sees the team still suck and one of those QBs playing well.

The QB draft choice is becoming very different. Teams are now bailing out after three and fewer seasons of watching a young QB struggle.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Penix ran a 4.46 at his pro day. I would be fine with him being the QB3 in this draft.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Pats need to do the smart thing and trade with the Vikings. 11, 23, and a 1st next year for the 3rd pick. I'll take any of the top four QBs but I really want Maye.

Being rid of Kirk and replacing him with Maye in one offseason would be like my Super Bowl as a Vikings fan.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016

If you feel like Maye/Daniels are overhyped and are at the same quality level of the sort of QB who's available around 10 most years -

Or if you think your infrastructure is so bad that it's likely to cause a QB to bust if put in there -

Those seem like good reasons to trade down.

Tbh, I'm beginning to think that in a rational NFL with the emotions stripped out of it, it would be routine for high drafters to trade down to acquire a lot of assets and then trade back up in a couple of years once they're a stronger team that's a QB away.

But I don't think you can sell that sort of decision making to owners/players/fans, so guys will take their shots when they can and hope the rest of the team is up to it.

Penix ran a 4.46 at his pro day. I would be fine with him being the QB3 in this draft.

Can't say I get this take. His injury history probably makes him the last QB who should be encouraged to run more.

Reactions: Melrose Munch

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
If you feel like Maye/Daniels are overhyped and are at the same quality level of the sort of QB who's available around 10 most years -

Or if you think your infrastructure is so bad that it's likely to cause a QB to bust if put in there -

Those seem like good reasons to trade down.

Tbh, I'm beginning to think that in a rational NFL with the emotions stripped out of it, it would be routine for high drafters to trade down to acquire a lot of assets and then trade back up in a couple of years once they're a stronger team that's a QB away.

But I don't think you can sell that sort of decision making to owners/players/fans, so guys will take their shots when they can and hope the rest of the team is up to it.

Can't say I get this take. His injury history probably makes him the last QB who should be encouraged to run more.
I was already of that opinion before, not because of the 40 time. Anyone can get injured at any time.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I was already of that opinion before, not because of the 40 time. Anyone can get injured at any time.

Fair enough then. I thought the two were linked for you.

Penix does get injured a hell of a lot more often than other guys though, and there are situations that increase the QB injury risk a bunch though. Not having the two meet seems as reasonable a point as "don't eat raw chicken".

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad