NFL: 2024 NFL draft discussion thread, Draft begins 4/25 8pm, 4/26 6pm, 4/27 12pm

Donnie740

May 28, 2021
It might be important to have an elite QB and an elite WR when you’re playing Madden’24 video games, but that formula doesn’t work in the NFL.

There’s a much higher probability of winning a championship with a great defense and a very good OLine.

A great coach like Andy Reid understands this. That’s why he dumped Tyreke Hill on Miami so that he could load up on defense and OLine.

Look at the mediocre QB/WR combinations that have won championships because the team had a defense and an OLine that controlled the game. Dilfer, Foles, Johnson, Simms, Hostetler, Russ Wilson.

Guys like Roethlisberger, Eli Manning and Stanford will never be considered elite all time great QBs but they were able to win a championship because they had a defence and an OLi that could carry them.

It’s impossible for any QB and WR combo to carry a mediocre defence and mediocre OLine. You’ll never win with that combination. Unless you’re playing Madden’24 video games.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
It might be important to have an elite QB and an elite WR when you’re playing Madden’24 video games, but that formula doesn’t work in the NFL.

There’s a much higher probability of winning a championship with a great defense and a very good OLine.

A great coach like Andy Reid understands this. That’s why he dumped Tyreke Hill on Miami so that he could load up on defense and OLine.

Look at the mediocre QB/WR combinations that have won championships because the team had a defense and an OLine that controlled the game. Dilfer, Foles, Johnson, Simms, Hostetler, Russ Wilson.

Guys like Roethlisberger, Eli Manning and Stanford will never be considered elite all time great QBs but they were able to win a championship because they had a defence and an OLi that could carry them.

It’s impossible for any QB and WR combo to carry a mediocre defence and mediocre OLine. You’ll never win with that combination. Unless you’re playing Madden’24 video games.

Really?

Then why are Chiefs/Bengals/Bills the consistent favourites to come out of AFC?

Chiefs vs Ravens
Chiefs vs Bengals
Chiefs vs Bengals
Chiefs vs Bills

& your Chiefs point doesn’t stand when they have likely a top2 QB of all time on the roster and TE many see as Goat TE

Nobody here has said you want elite QB+ 5 elite offensive players

Last edited:
Reactions: DaaaaB's

cheechoo

˗ˋˏ ♡ ˎˊ˗ Tomas Hertl #48 ˗ˋˏ ♡ ˎˊ˗
Dec 13, 2018
suspended in gaffa
Malik Nabers is so so impressive. He's on the same level as MHjr imo and a top five WR prospect since 2010.

If him or Alt make it to 7 then I'd be really happy.

Keep that Odunze nonsense away.

Tony Romo

Sep 25, 2011
Did MHJ get hurt and I missed it? I know he’s basically a top 5 pick but not participating at pro day either?

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Really?

Chiefs vs Ravens
Chiefs vs Bengals
Chiefs vs Bengals
Chiefs vs Bills

& your Chiefs point doesn’t stand when they have likely a top2 QB of all time on the roster and TE many see as Goat TE

Kelce isn’t paid like a top receiver though. His current deal only had a $20m guarantee. He’ll make $13m in 2024.

His point about paying top receivers isn’t wrong, though, but quarterbacks usually still need them to attain their top levels. When they leave, hopefully the QB is great enough to pull others up with him.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Supposedly he asked 9 different teams at the combine if it would add anything to their evaluation if he participated in his pro day. They all said no, so he decided not to.
He has 3 years of film. Is there a question regarding his speed? Could he break 4.4 in the 40? Is that really going to move the needle if he runs 4.36 vs 4.46 based on what teams have seen of him?

Combine drill are a measure of athleticism of how they can move/speed/strength. Film shows how they translate that onto the field. If you run fast, do you play fast and get separation. If you run slow, how are you getting separation on the field?

His film is good enough to not need to do a workout. Even if it drops him to WR2, he's going top 9. More about which team he'd like to go to with the QB. Drake London & Garrett Wilson were the 2 top WR off the board in 2022. Look at their QBs in the NFL so far.

Best spot for a WR is either in AZ (Kyler and on grass), LAC (Herbert), ATL (Cousins now, though with London, Pitt, Bijan, not likely to go offense). Caleb and Levis with Chi/Ten offer a young QB whom those 2 teams are going to try to groom.

Reactions: Romang67

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
He has 3 years of film. Is there a question regarding his speed? Could he break 4.4 in the 40? Is that really going to move the needle if he runs 4.36 vs 4.46 based on what teams have seen of him?

Combine drill are a measure of athleticism of how they can move/speed/strength. Film shows how they translate that onto the field. If you run fast, do you play fast and get separation. If you run slow, how are you getting separation on the field?

His film is good enough to not need to do a workout. Even if it drops him to WR2, he's going top 9. More about which team he'd like to go to with the QB. Drake London & Garrett Wilson were the 2 top WR off the board in 2022. Look at their QBs in the NFL so far.

Best spot for a WR is either in AZ (Kyler and on grass), LAC (Herbert), ATL (Cousins now, though with London, Pitt, Bijan, not likely to go offense). Caleb and Levis with Chi/Ten offer a young QB whom those 2 teams are going to try to groom.
Yeah, I think that's what he's getting at (and Williams was getting at about throwing at the combine as well). If a team has looked at his game film, including the tracking that let's teams measure his in game speed, and is questioning his speed, so be it.

Tony Romo

Sep 25, 2011
he's doing it to tank his draft stock to fall to 24. I for one, respect it and admire it.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Yeah, I think that's what he's getting at (and Williams was getting at about throwing at the combine as well). If a team has looked at his game film, including the tracking that let's teams measure his in game speed, and is questioning his speed, so be it.
Caleb really nothing athletically that will change. Decision making isn’t something you can analyze in a workout.

Tony Romo

Sep 25, 2011
Caleb Williams apparently shrunk an inch from the combine to his pro day?

Don't know if the tweet I saw had a typo in but wtf?

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017

Is it a hair thing with him. I think I've heard a couple of former TE turned Influencers say that the combine people try to press down hard on the player's head when measuring. Not really an exact science. I do believe that you shrink as the day goes along a bit, but an inch is quite a bit.

Reactions: Tony Romo

Sad People

Jun 4, 2021
In before MHJ is a arrogant, self loving diva for not participating at the combine or his pro day.

/s

Unholy Diver

Oct 13, 2002
in the midnight sea
Is it a hair thing with him. I think I've heard a couple of former TE turned Influencers say that the combine people try to press down hard on the player's head when measuring. Not really an exact science. I do believe that you shrink as the day goes along a bit, but an inch is quite a bit.

He was wearing high heels at the combine

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL

Did you read it correctly? He was 6011 (6 feet, one inch, 1/8 of an inch) at the combine, and 6007 (6 feet, zero inches, 7/8 of an inch) at the pro day. So 1/4 inch shorter, not one inch.

To the NFL, you guys COULD just use the metric system and give us the height in centimeters instead, you know.
JT Sanders most people TE2 getting outperformed by the Texas punter at pro day
I don't think he impressed at the combine either, did he?

Tony Romo

Sep 25, 2011
Did you read it correctly? He was 6011 (6 feet, one inch, 1/8 of an inch) at the combine, and 6007 (6 feet, zero inches, 7/8 of an inch) at the pro day. So 1/4 inch shorter, not one inch.

To the NFL, you guys COULD just use the metric system and give us the height in centimeters instead, you know.

Yeah I quickly glanced over it and messed it up. My bad

No he didn’t. Ran a 4.69 at the combine. Benched 8 reps today and had a 29 inch vertical.

Donnie740

May 28, 2021

Anytime a man announces his height including a “fraction of an inch” it automatically means the little fellow is self conscious about his stature.

As I explained previously, Cal Williams is an undersized QB, similar to Bryce Young last year.

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
Yeah I quickly glanced over it and messed it up. My bad

No he didn’t. Ran a 4.69 at the combine. Benched 8 reps today and had a 29 inch vertical.
Oof. Slow, weak, and non-explosive isn't the descriptors you want in a TE. Between his testing and Bowers complete lack of testing, the tight end class is having a great off season.:laugh:

Anytime a man announces his height including a “fraction of an inch” it automatically means the little fellow is self conscious about his stature.

As I explained previously, Cal Williams is an undersized QB, similar to Bryce Young last year.
I didn't think it needed explaining, but that wasn't Williams announcing his measurements at the combine and college pro day. It's the standardized method of announcing the measurements.

Height in feet (1 digit) -- Height in inches (2 digits) -- Height in eight of an inch (one digit)

Every NFL prospect that got measured either at the combine or their pro day has their height include a fraction of an inch. Eights, to be specific.

Williams is 3 inches taller than Bryce Young.

DaaaaB's

Apr 24, 2004
How does a punter outperform a tight end?
I would assume by testing better at speed, agility and jumping. If a tight end is less athletic than a punter that's certainly saying something.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017

Combine is down to an 1/8 of an inch. Finer details for nfl scouts.

After this they will just round up or down at the pro level. Most times people call Russ 5’11 vs 5’10 since he was 1/4 of an inch under 5’11.

Donnie740

May 28, 2021
Really?

Chiefs vs Ravens
Chiefs vs Bengals
Chiefs vs Bengals
Chiefs vs Bills

As I’ve explained numerous times, the Chiefs don’t waste their cap room on WRs. That’s why they dumped Tyreke Hill on Miami. And it’s why they pick up trash like Kadarius Toney and Meek Hardman off the scrap heap.

Bengals caught lightening in a bottle when they lucked out with Joe Burr and Chase on rookie contracts. Keyword: ROOKIE CONTRACTS. Once they had to start paying Joe Burr his big contract in addition to Tee Higgins bloated contract, they disappeared. As I mentioned previously, the Bengals situation is only going to get worse when they appease Chase with a $30M boat anchor.

Buffalo has been getting progressively worse and they barely squeaked into the playoffs this year. You may be delusional enough to still believe the Bills are “contenders” but the cold hard reality is that until they divest themselves of that cancer Stef Diggs and his ridiculous contract, Buffalo is a borderline fringe playoff team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad