NFL: 2024 NFL draft discussion thread, Draft begins 4/25 8pm, 4/26 6pm, 4/27 12pm

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
I don't hate the pick but I don't really like it either. He seems like good value based on how many had him ranked top 10 but TE's drafted this high tend to not live up to the hype. That may not happen to Bowers but I thought Mayer showed some promise last year after a slow start. Doesn't seem like good asset management to use another high pick on a TE especially for a team that will likely run the ball quite often and Bowers can't run block. Going with Arnold, Mitchell or Fuaga would've been smarter imo.

Can't have too many weapons right? Bowers looks like a stud Tight End and I'm glad we got him. That being said, our biggest issue last season and the year before was going through the middle. Renfrow was supposed to be that guy but he got hurt for the past 2 years. McDaniels barely used his tight ends, once his ass got fired, AP started to use them thoroughly.

So for blocking, there's always an improvement but as for that receiving threat? I'm good for it.

Reactions: DaaaaB's and Daz28

Daz28

Nov 1, 2010
Does anyone remember when it was CB and Edge that were the coveted? The league has changed so much to the offense, that great D is no longer what "wins championships". Now, the what used to be crapshoot WR is king.

Doubling down on stupidity?

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Can't have too many weapons right? Bowers looks like a stud Tight End and I'm glad we got him. That being said, our biggest issue last season and the year before was going through the middle. Renfrow was supposed to be that guy but he got hurt for the past 2 years. McDaniels barely used his tight ends, once his ass got fired, AP started to use them thoroughly.

So for blocking, there's always an improvement but as for that receiving threat? I'm good for it.
Adams likes to work the middle as well. That's my main concern. But, if they scheme it up properly and ultimately run to Mayer's side, they will be fine in 2024 until/if Bowers improves his blocking.

But, was it the biggest need for LV? No... I didn't love the remaining OT, as I think most were inside guys at the NFL level. I do wonder if swapping with the Rams to 19 and taking Mitchell/Arnold would have been better and gaining a 3rd this draft and another mid rounder in 2025 might be better in the end. But, it's done. Need to grab CB/OL on day 2.

Daz28

Nov 1, 2010

At some point you're going to need a top TE. He will help the new franchise QB a lot.

Daz28

Nov 1, 2010
Safeties and corners have to start dropping soon. The draft class can't possibly be this bad can it?

Donnie740

May 28, 2021
Added DJ Moore last season

Added Sweat mid season and got him signed
Signed Johnson

Added Swift
Added Allen
All it took was a 4th

Added Williams
Addee Odunze

Poles has changed the entire dynamics and feel around the roster

Top talent wants to go to Chicago today, they have wealth of elite talent on offense

Anybody who doesn’t see times are changing in Chicago are just too stuck on the past

I believe in Harbaugh for sure but that Chargers roster right now is all over the place and will take time to fix

Watch what happens this year, my friend. Don’t call it “hindsight” when Cal Williams is a catastrophic bust.

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
Adams likes to work the middle as well. That's my main concern. But, if they scheme it up properly and ultimately run to Mayer's side, they will be fine in 2024 until/if Bowers improves his blocking.

But, was it the biggest need for LV? No... I didn't love the remaining OT, as I think most were inside guys at the NFL level. I do wonder if swapping with the Rams to 19 and taking Mitchell/Arnold would have been better and gaining a 3rd this draft and another mid rounder in 2025 might be better in the end. But, it's done. Need to grab CB/OL on day 2.

Raiders need OL help, also they need to address the ever loving hell that is the linebacker position. Defensive backs sure, they need help everywhere.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Poor Coop and Newton

Newton had surgery for a "Jones avulsion fracture" in his foot.

No clue how bad that is, but that's got to be the reason he's dropping.

As for Cooper Dejean, 3 CBs went in round 1. He has size and speed for a CB unless teams are viewing him as a S that they will convert. If he believes he's an NFL corner, hopefully he made that clear to them in the interview process.

Reactions: Daz28

Daz28

Nov 1, 2010
The ever changing NFL, QB/WR/OL is the new phase.
Defense has been put on the back burner, as was RB.
Certainly, but it may be wise to take the cream of the crop D guys they're leaving, and let everyone else take the crapshoot at a WR

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Raiders need OL help, also they need to address the ever loving hell that is the linebacker position. Defensive backs sure, they need help everywhere.
There are IOL they can get in round 2 at 45 or so when they pick. Just wanted them that if they pick an OT, that the guy is going to play OT in the NFL, not have to slide inside to OG because he couldn't handle OT like Leatherwood or Gallery.

LB, no one worthy of a 1st round grade. Best for most mocks was Trotter of Clemson, but seeing Cooper of Texas A&M as the 1st LB for mocks over the past couple of weeks.

Daz28

Nov 1, 2010
Not sure how to rate Coleman. Played injured last season, but he never really had the separation ability in college.
Just watched some tape. He could make a great #2. Good short area acceleration/change of direction, and a red zone threat. He fills a niche for sure, but he doesn't fill the Bills lack of a #1 at all. Looks like a role player

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad