NFL: 2024 NFL draft discussion thread, Draft begins 4/25 8pm, 4/26 6pm, 4/27 12pm

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Cousins is 36. His contract is $90 mill guaranteed at signing, but it's really $100 mill as $10 mill of his 2026 salary guaranteed in March 2025. Plus, he's coming off an Achilles.

As for the rest of the draft, aside from ATL, surprised at Bowers pick by LV. Had an inkling he would fall outside the top 10 as the Jets would likely draft an OL over a TE. Though, the OL they took was the one I was hoping would fall to LV. I do wonder how they plan on scheming up their weapons as Adams does like to also work in the middle of the field.

Seeing the swap between Minny and Jax, was a little surprised that SEA didn't do that trade down from 16, but I guess they felt Murphy was too good to risk leaving on the board.

Some people may be surprised by TB OL pick, but they'd have injuries and free agent losses on the OL, so getting what most people consider the cleanest player in the draft on the OL made sense for them.

SF, not surprised they took a WR, but that one? Figured they would go OL but by then had like 7/8 OL go already. They seem ready to move off one of their 2 WR, be it this year or next year.

Surprised that both Newton DT and Dejean CB are on the board. But, honestly, for these players, you are better to go round 2 than in the 20's. Don't have that 5th year option.

Big Poppa Puck

HF's Villain
Dec 8, 2009
D-Boss' Dungeon
Minnesota made not one but two panic trades in the first round.

That's how you get fired while fighting for last place.

They gave up a too much for Turner but they got a top 10 talent in the draft.

McCarthy might wind up sucking, but QBs always get over drafted, they needed one and I'm not worried about a 4th and a 46 spot move down on day 3 to assure you're not left with Bo Nix or nothing.

hockey20000

Dec 23, 2018
Future bust.
nah hes decent if theres gonna be a bust it will be nix( pains me as oregon fan) and maye . caleb and penix got the most potential to be average to good.

JJ is a wildcard i would lean towards bust but i like his attitude so not be shocked if he turned out to be a decent qb

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Penix and Nix were both considered fringe first rounders.
By how many people? Not saying it’s zero, I know it’s not but it was obvious what was going on during the draft process. Any of the draftniks who didn’t see what was happening outsmarted themselves.

Peter Schraeger, Daniel Jeremiah, Pete Prisco, Charlie Campbell/Walter Football, a wide ranging array of people who are either trusted or maybe not as much all had all 6 QB’s comfortably in round 1. A few had the Broncos trading down into the 20’s to get Nix.

I’m not even in the mock draft cycle but there’s no good reason anyone should be surprised, we were being told by people who know that know that it was happening.

landy92mack29

May 5, 2014
saskatchewan
I honestly think McCarthy will end up the best QB from this class as he's in a good situation and will have time to adjust. Maye hopefully sits for a year also, think he'll be good if he does. Williams seems like another Murray where decent but won't live up to the hype, Daniels will flat out bust. Penix and Nix are both decent but not worth where they went. Also Penix will be what 27 by the time he starts?

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
I honestly think McCarthy will end up the best QB from this class as he's in a good situation and will have time to adjust. Maye hopefully sits for a year also, think he'll be good if he does. Williams seems like another Murray where decent but won't live up to the hype, Daniels will flat out bust. Penix and Nix are both decent but not worth where they went. Also Penix will be what 27 by the time he starts?
I’d be shocked if Daniels busts.

The Burdened

May 1, 2017
I dont get the Penix uproar.
Nobody expects Cousins to finish his contract. He's 35. if Penix sits and learns for 2 years, he is in a position to reach whatever his potential as an NFL QB will be.

if he busts? oh well it happens. they didn't mortgage the future to draft him. but if they think he is the guy, then do it.

the Bijan pick last year was worse. not that he's bad, but you can get RB's anywhere.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
I've been consuming all of the Kirk/Falcons tweets and content and can't get enough. The fact that they'd do this with anyone is pretty insane. The fact that it's with Kirk, who for his entire career has had trust issues and wanted security, takes it next level. Of course the money is huge but another factor in him leaving Minnesota is that they wouldn't commit to him and wanted to bring in the replacement. So he leaves for another team and that team drafts his replacement before he even takes a single snap!

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Raiders need linebackers, defensive backs, offensive line, offensive line.
TE was a luxury add because he was the BPA. Was really hoping that the Jets took Bowers and Fashanu would then fall to them with Min/Den taking QBs.

Think it will have to be an OL and CB in rounds 2 and 3 for them.

I liked Fuaga, but unless they were certain he would be a RT, not taking him to convert to OG at 13. He'd probably be an all-pro or consistent pro bowler as an OG, but probably not as an OT.

My wish was Fashanu, then Mitchell the CB that Philly got at 22.

DueDiligence

Nov 16, 2013
nah hes decent if theres gonna be a bust it will be nix( pains me as oregon fan) and maye . caleb and penix got the most potential to be average to good.

JJ is a wildcard i would lean towards bust but i like his attitude so not be shocked if he turned out to be a decent qb
JJ going to the perfect situation. He will thrive.

LightningStorm

Lightning/Mets/Vikings
Dec 19, 2008
Pacific NW, USA
I've been consuming all of the Kirk/Falcons tweets and content and can't get enough. The fact that they'd do this with anyone is pretty insane. The fact that it's with Kirk, who for his entire career has had trust issues and wanted security, takes it next level. Of course the money is huge but another factor in him leaving Minnesota is that they wouldn't commit to him and wanted to bring in the replacement. So he leaves for another team and that team drafts his replacement before he even takes a single snap!
What I can’t get over is if the Falcons had such injury concerns with Kirk that they’d draft a QB in R1, then why sign Kirk at all?

Reactions: Avs_19

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Penix is going to turn 24 in a few weeks also

The love comp falls short when you consider Love took over as Packers #1 at 24

Cousins contract essentially means you cant cut him until after year 2, correct? Or else you end up with alot of dead $

So if Penix sits for 2 years he is taking over as #1 as a 26 yr old

So you invest in a #8 who potentially is "Red Shirted" for 2 years ignoring all your other needs

And if NFL punishment is stripping them of a future 1st rounder for tampering, that makes it worse because that means those other needs you could have addressed with #8 pick wont be available to them next year in 1st round

Unholy Diver

Oct 13, 2002
in the midnight sea

Cousins contract essentially means you cant cut him until after year 2, correct? Or else you end up with alot of dead $

So you invest in a #8 who potentially is "Red Shirted" for 2 years ignoring all your other needs

And if NFL punishment is stripping them of a future 1st rounder for tampering, that makes it worse because that means those other needs you could have addressed with #8 pick wont be available to them next year in 1st round

And what do you do if Cousins returns to his form before the injury? He was having one of his best years last year before getting hurt, and has had very good years 3 of the last 4, sure 35 is getting up there but Brady just played til 45? There is no reason that Kirk couldn't play at a high level til 40 or 41

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
I’d be shocked if Daniels busts.

It’s amazing to listen again in media what a monster QB draft this is and that one and this one are going to be superstars and yet in best case scenario we get 1 or 2

All we have to look at os recent history

Yep that’s what bothers me

Insiders/analysts are using Mahomes& Love as examples when the situation wasn’t anywhere close to being the same

How many elite QB’s have started their careers at 26y?

And sitting him for years is only eating away from that rookie contract which is such an advantage

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
And what do you do if Cousins returns to his form before the injury? He was having one of his best years last year before getting hurt, and has had very good years 3 of the last 4, sure 35 is getting up there but Brady just played til 45? There is no reason that Kirk couldn't play at a high level til 40 or 41
Kirk's contract is $90 mill guaranteed, so 2024, 2025 base salaries are guaranteed, along with his signing bonus. $10 mill of 2026 salary/bonus becomes guaranteed in March 2025. So, it essentially makes it a 2 year $100 mill deal or 1 year for $90 mill. I'm sure that there is off-set language, but since like Russ he gets his money, no incentive for him to get more from new team really.

This is a team that has gone through 3 rough years with old Ryan/MM/Ridder as their opening day starters. Cousins is a temp solution, but I agree, there was no reason to go and pay him that kind of money only to take Penix Jr.

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
t’s amazing to listen again in media what a monster QB draft this is and that one and this one are going to be superstars and yet in best case scenario we get 1 or 2

I'm a firm believer in many of the QBs that bust out would have thrived in different environments. RG3, for example, would have probably had a longer career if Shahanan and Snyder weren't constantly butting heads and he didn't have such a hard-on for Cousins.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
It’s amazing to listen again in media what a monster QB draft this is and that one and this one are going to be superstars and yet in best case scenario we get 1 or 2

Yep that’s what bothers me

Insiders/analysts are using Mahomes& Love as examples when the situation wasn’t anywhere close to being the same

How many elite QB’s have started their careers at 26y?

And sitting him for years is only eating away from that rookie contract which is such an advantage

Rogers started at 25, Warner at 28. Obviously its very rare, but its not unprecedented

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
I'm a firm believer in many of the QBs that bust out would have thrived in different environments. RG3, for example, would have probably had a longer career if Shahanan and Snyder weren't constantly butting heads and he didn't have such a hard-on for Cousins.
Yeah, the downside to the way drafts are stacked is we way too often see top QBs taken by terrible teams with coaching staffs who are often new and inexperienced.

Or you can go the other way and look at guys drafted by good teams who sat before starting. Mahommes didn't need to sit for a year. Rodgers didn't need to sit for multiple years. Roger Staubach didn't need to hold a clipboard for two seasons.

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
Yeah, the downside to the way drafts are stacked is we way too often see top QBs taken by terrible teams with coaching staffs who are often new and inexperienced.

Or you can go the other way and look at guys drafted by good teams who sat before starting. Mahommes didn't need to sit for a year. Rodgers didn't need to sit for multiple years. Roger Staubach didn't need to hold a clipboard for two seasons.
Who knows how Mahomes career would have turned out had he not sat a year. It certainly helps being drafted to an already playoff contender.

It used to be QBs would sit for a year and learn but with money trumping all, teams can't afford to deal with impatient fanbases clamoring for a savior. Public pressure is too great to let coaching staffs and front office be as patient as they want to be. Bryce Young,for example, shouldn't have been starting at all last year, especially with the team surrounding him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad