OT: Bears & NFL Talk 99 (also 2024 NFL Draft GDT)

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
Gonna make a long weekend of it. Have to make a appearance at work to start the day and then back into my car and on my way to my cottage for draft weekend and my boat.
Where's your cottage at that your boat is already in the water? Haha.

I mean, my boat gets used all winter as long as there's open launches to fish. Not sure what type you have, but most "cottage" boats are pleasure boats, so assuming that's what it is.

Reactions: Mrfenn92

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
Tackle, Wide Receiver, Trade Down, Tackle, Wide Receiver, Trade Down. I dunno what I want but I'll be talked into whatever it is.
I saw a mock draft where the Bears drafted a CB a couple of weeks back. That's where I draw the line.

Potential WR1 (MHJ, Nabers, Odunze) to future-proof the receiving corp and not having to rely on Moore aging well into his next contract and/or Allen being resigned.

Potential LT1 (Fashanu, Fautanu, Alt) because you want an elite LT and it means there is an escape plan if B. Jones doesn't develop at all.

Potential DT1 (Murphy, trade-down+Newton?) because the Bears need a pass-rushing 3T.

Edge, because right now DomRob is the starting edge opposite to Sweat.

I THINK I'm leaning Top3WR -> DT -> OT -> Edge. I don't love the edges at pick #9. I also think I'm leaning Top3WR -> Trade -> the rest. But that's definitely in part because I think one of LT2-3, DT1-2, Edge2-3 would be on the board as late as the early 20s.
Turned on ESPN seeing them talking Bears and realized how dumb they are and no nothing

Stephen A Smith and Dan Orlovsky talking about drafting Bowers because a QB needs a safety net and how Bears really need to give Williams a young potential safety net like Witten/Kelce/etc because its something we dont have

Neither one of them seems aware we have Kmet
ESPN really hits that sweet spot where I'm not certain what sport they are even supposed to be knowledgeable about. Kittle is largely consensus a top 3 TE in the league, and he's averaging about 30 yards per game in the playoffs, and has 2 TDs in 12 playoff games.

Reactions: Pez68

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
give us MHJ, go all in on that rookie contract for Caleb

All I know is my inner meatball is going to have a moment if the gameplan involves passing on one of the top receivers
have to imagine there are a lot of people that feel this way

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois
Where's your cottage at that your boat is already in the water? Haha.

I mean, my boat gets used all winter as long as there's open launches to fish. Not sure what type you have, but most "cottage" boats are pleasure boats, so assuming that's what it is.
Indiana

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
I saw a mock draft where the Bears drafted a CB a couple of weeks back. That's where I draw the line.

Potential WR1 (MHJ, Nabers, Odunze) to future-proof the receiving corp and not having to rely on Moore aging well into his next contract and/or Allen being resigned.

Potential LT1 (Fashanu, Fautanu, Alt) because you want an elite LT and it means there is an escape plan if B. Jones doesn't develop at all.

Potential DT1 (Murphy, trade-down+Newton?) because the Bears need a pass-rushing 3T.

Edge, because right now DomRob is the starting edge opposite to Sweat.

I THINK I'm leaning Top3WR -> DT -> OT -> Edge. I don't love the edges at pick #9. I also think I'm leaning Top3WR -> Trade -> the rest. But that's definitely in part because I think one of LT2-3, DT1-2, Edge2-3 would be on the board as late as the early 20s.

ESPN really hits that sweet spot where I'm not certain what sport they are even supposed to be knowledgeable about. Kittle is largely consensus a top 3 TE in the league, and he's averaging about 30 yards per game in the playoffs, and has 2 TDs in 12 playoff games.
I definitely say offense, even if trade down, because you have a Rookie #1 Pick, and the rare circumstance of him not walking into a dumpster fire since it was a traded pick. Go all out to give him every tool to succeed.

Reactions: ChiHawks10

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
I definitely say offense, even if trade down, because you have a Rookie #1 Pick, and the rare circumstance of him not walking into a dumpster fire since it was a traded pick. Go all out to give him every tool to succeed.
My reason for DT -> OT is that the team will be better next season with a good DT (e.g. Jalen Carter or Kobie Turner (realistically probably something in between)) than by inserting an OT. A rookie OT probably isn't noticeably better than a year 3 Braxton Jones.

WR on the other hand, I don't think we can safely say that Allen will play close to 17 games. Having a Moore+Odunze duo even when Allen goes out would be great.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
My reason for DT -> OT is that the team will be better next season with a good DT (e.g. Jalen Carter or Kobie Turner (realistically probably something in between)) than by inserting an OT. A rookie OT probably isn't noticeably better than a year 3 Braxton Jones.

WR on the other hand, I don't think we can safely say that Allen will play close to 17 games. Having a Moore+Odunze duo even when Allen goes out would be great.
Makes sense. Can never go wrong investing long-term in your OL and making sure your new QB is protected for as long as you can (or until he becomes a savvy vet that doesn't need a good OL to play well).

Reactions: Romang67

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
Makes sense. Can never go wrong investing long-term in your OL and making sure your new QB is protected for as long as you can (or until he becomes a savvy vet that doesn't need a good OL to play well).
I will absolutely not be unhappy with an OT for that reason. I think any of the top LTs could be real difference makers by Williams's year 3, which is realistically when the competition window would open if all goes well.

plasmonresonance

Jul 28, 2015
All I know is my inner meatball is going to have a moment if the gameplan involve passing on one of the top receivers
After seeing what A St Brown signed for, getting a potentially top WR on a rookie contract would seem to be a high priority. One of the 3 WRs at #9 is really the only guy I 'want and hope' for. Anyone else, 'yeh, ok, whatever'..

Darkstar

Nov 3, 2007
Denver, CO
I really hope the Broncos don't stay at 12. Either move up and get Maye or trade down with either the Steelers or Eagles, who are looking to move up and pick up a 2nd round pick. I just hope we don't end up with McCarthy. I really don't see what people see in him. At least with Maye you have a big athletic guy who can move around. With Nix, you have someone that is pretty accurate at short and medium range.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
I really hope the Broncos don't stay at 12. Either move up and get Maye or trade down with either the Steelers or Eagles, who are looking to move up and pick up a 2nd round pick. I just hope we don't end up with McCarthy. I really don't see what people see in him. At least with Maye you have a big athletic guy who can move around. With Nix, you have someone that is pretty accurate at short and medium range.
:huh:

They're drafting Williams...

clydesdale line

Connor BeJesus
Jan 10, 2012
Turned on ESPN seeing them talking Bears and realized how dumb they are and know nothing

Stephen A Smith and Dan Orlovsky talking about drafting Bowers because a QB needs a safety net and how Bears really need to give Williams a young potential safety net like Witten/Kelce/etc because its something we dont have

Neither one of them seems aware we have Kmet

Bowers is a U tight end, not Kmet. It does make sense with Everett as more of a short term option and Bowers can literally line up anywhere. Orlovsky did mention that.

Now would I do it? No, just because the Bears have other needs that they need to fill that are more of a priority but I can see where they are coming from with the Mahomes/Kelce situation.

Darkstar

Nov 3, 2007
Denver, CO
Ahhhhhh I was so confused lol. I was like... it's pretty well-established that the Bears are taking Williams. Reading your post again, I should have understood it the first time through.

It's all good. Y'all are getting a great QB, while things aren't very clear for my team. I'm also jealous of all the picks y'all have. My teams are the Hawks and AVS for hockey. Broncos and Nuggets for NFL and NBA. Arkansas Razorbacks and Colorado for college.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Got myself Pizza Hut as pre-draft meal

I hadn't eaten PH in 11 years

Still tastes good

Why not Penix for Broncos? I assume not a fit for Payton offense

Sounds like Raiders may be team targeting Penix.

Reactions: Darkstar

Behn Wilson

Mar 14, 2002
Chicago, Il
Visit site
Sorry if this was posted above but pretty busy with work and have not read. I have to work tonight, bummer.

Does anyone know if ESPN wensite will be streaming draft vcoverage.

Thank you

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad