2024 IIHF U20 World Championship, Division IIA

MeHateHe

Dec 24, 2006
Feels to me like China got a very easy 3 points in the game where they should have had a much tougher time and left with nothing in one they were the better team. Even steven in the end, I guess.
I didn't think China was that much better today, although they certainly controlled the play in the third.

What often strikes me at this level of play is that teams may dictate pace and flow in a game but skill levels are such that they don't really generate quality scoring chances, or when they do, they don't have the first clue how to cash in. Only one of the six goals scored in this game was from a quality scoring chance, for example. On the other side of the coin, defending is a lot easier when you don't have to face top-quality opposition. If a team showed up to a competition like this with two or three players that are above everyone else, that team can often win a tournament like this, even if that team's depth overall is lacking.

At the end of the day, this is actually the kind of thing that makes these tournaments so interesting. How many times have there been surprising results at IB, IIA and IIB U20 tournaments?

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Have to say 1 goal in the championship despite THIS many chances really makes me nervous. It's like we can't score unless the goalie throws it into his own net.

ozo

Feb 24, 2010
Lithuania constantly looks on the verge of being dangerous, starting to cycle and then they for some reason decide to aimlessly flutter a shot towards the goal.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Shots 13-26, score 3-2. This is extremely hard to watch.

Lithuania constantly looks on the verge of being dangerous, starting to cycle and then they for some reason decide to aimlessly flutter a shot towards the goal.
I think this is "shot mentality", a theory that you don't need too many touches before putting it on net. Which is fine and good if those are actual shots and not muffins for the shot clock..

Yesterday's result seem kinda unfair, we deserved to lose just not by 3 goals. If we lose today, on the other hand... Just terrible.

ozo

Feb 24, 2010
Will try really hard to blame the Canadian coach for this hockey because I want o believe in this Lithuanian "golden generation" for a little longer.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Will try really hard to blame the Canadian coach for this hockey because I want o believe in this Lithuanian "golden generation" for a little longer.
I mean, most of them are 16-17.. They won the U18s with him in charge. I don't think the coach can be blamed for much, in terms of possession we are dominating GB and went toe to toe with Koreans.

ozo

Feb 24, 2010
I mean, most of them are 16-17.. They won the U18s with him in charge. I don't think the coach can be blamed for much, in terms of possession we are dominating GB and went toe to toe with Koreans.
But, but.... what have they done for me lately...? :sarcasm:

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
I think it was a bad call, especially the way how this game was called for the previous 58 minutes. Also broadcast was less than stellar on the goal.
That's what they get those GB goons, should have given 2 to the moustache guy for the snowshower earlier :sarcasm:

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Multiple times during this game I was about to write how sick I am of Seniut's offensive D impersonation. I take it back, the boy is Bobby Orr in the making.

ozo

Feb 24, 2010
As I said all along, this is a greatly coached up-and-coming Lithuanian team haha. Jokes aside, decent victory for this kindergarden roster.

Reactions: SoundAndFury

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
I mean if we manage to finish 2nd, which at this point is unlikely we couldn't, I'm happy about it. Could have hoped for more but realistically, completely fair. Pretty close to underachieving/chocking today but all is as it should be in the end. If Croatia gets relegated from 1B, next year's tournament is ours for the taking.

MeHateHe

Dec 24, 2006
So promotion and relegation from this group is pretty much decided. Korea still has to beat the Brits, but they seem head and shoulders above the rest of the group and it looks like Spain are back to Div II after this one.

Reactions: PanniniClaus

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
So promotion and relegation from this group is pretty much decided. Korea still has to beat the Brits, but they seem head and shoulders above the rest of the group and it looks like Spain are back to Div II after this one.
I wouldn't go quite so far yet, Spain beating Netherlands in their head-to-head doesn't seem that impossible.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Poland, of course, is ruining the perfect scenario.
Yeah, the usual, Estonian punching bag. But frankly, of course, I would take Croatia over them, Poland probably won't be that big of a threat either.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
3-2 and now it's probably over.

It's somewhat funny that the Dutch U20s mirrored their men's team completely: a lucky win against China allowed them to stay up when they were probably the weakest team in the division in both cases.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Still, unless China takes a point off of Lithuania, Spain still goes down. Goal differential leaves Spain as the worst.
Yes of course now it's pretty much over but with a score 3-0 there was legitimate intrigue in the game.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00