NFL: 2024 Franchise Tags

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
I think the Chiefs are going to trade him. Even with the cap rising and Mahomes re-structuring, this smells like a Brett Veach special where they deal a guy on the verge of a big payday while he still has asset value. Dave Merritt is an incredible DB coach and I believe the Chiefs will have great confidence they can groom another cheaper starting option opposite McDuffie. And somebody is going to hand Snead an absolute bag.

Pressure is on to get the Chris Jones deal done ASAP.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Unlike Adams/Fitzpatrick/Ramsey when they were dealt for 1sts and additional picks, I don't see Sneed getting a first in return. Those prior 3 all at least had 1 rookie year left on their contracts, before getting paid.

Sneed needs a new deal walking through the door. Top CB money is over $20 mill now on Average. Ward of Cleveland signed a couple of years ago. He got $21 mill in 2022 and $23 mill in 2023. Due $16 mill in 2024.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Unlike Adams/Fitzpatrick/Ramsey when they were dealt for 1sts and additional picks, I don't see Sneed getting a first in return. Those prior 3 all at least had 1 rookie year left on their contracts, before getting paid.

Sneed needs a new deal walking through the door. Top CB money is over $20 mill now on Average. Ward of Cleveland signed a couple of years ago. He got $21 mill in 2022 and $23 mill in 2023. Due $16 mill in 2024.

I don’t think he gets a first either, but I still think he’s gonna get dealt. Veach likes that draft capital.

The Note

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 13, 2011
KCMO
Yeah I think Sneed is gone unfortunately. Maybe they reach a deal after Sneed sees what’s out there from interested teams but I think they’ll trade him for a second + maybe a day 3 pick to some team that’s willing to pay him. If there’s one thing the Chiefs have been able to consistently draft and develop, it’s corners, and having McDuffie helps ease the loss if it comes to that. Hopefully they can bring Jones back because losing both would be a huge blow.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I’m not saying Snead is going to go off a cliff, but Andy Reid knows when it’s time for someone to go.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I’m not saying Snead is going to go off a cliff, but Andy Reid knows when it’s time for someone to go.
Snead is only coming off his rookie contract. Typically, would be more concerned about guys in the Jones situation, coming off a long term 2nd contract in their 30's vs someone around age 26 with no injury history.

Most important factor for a team paying a player is that they are good during their guaranteed money years, which for great to elite players is 2-3 years.

SwordsgoneWild

WhenyougazeintotheabysstheBuffaloSabresgazeback
Mar 6, 2011
Lake Worth,Fl
In opposite news , the Dolphins won't be using the tag on Wilkins ..... Interesting to say the least... Would be crazy to see him walk. I know they still have a beast in Sieler but this strikes me as strange ( if they don't sign him and let him walk )

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
In opposite news , the Dolphins won't be using the tag on Wilkins ..... Interesting to say the least... Would be crazy to see him walk. I know they still have a beast in Sieler but this strikes me as strange ( if they don't sign him and let him walk )

They paid Chubb and Hill. Tua is on deck entering his 5th year option. They also just cut Howard.

Tagging, I believe that once the new NFL year begins, you need to have that amount in free cap space in the event the player does sign the tag.

How many of these tags are Non-Exclusive? I mean, once someone is tagged (Non QB), whether it's exclusive or not, I think other teams then decide to move on. I doubt most of the tagged players are worth the 2 first rounders that the compensation requires. Most likely would be a tag and trade situation.

I mean, with Pittman, he's a good WR, but I wouldn't call him a WR1 that I pay over $25 mill to on average.

SwordsgoneWild

WhenyougazeintotheabysstheBuffaloSabresgazeback
Mar 6, 2011
Lake Worth,Fl
They paid Chubb and Hill. Tua is on deck entering his 5th year option. They also just cut Howard.

Tagging, I believe that once the new NFL year begins, you need to have that amount in free cap space in the event the player does sign the tag.

How many of these tags are Non-Exclusive? I mean, once someone is tagged (Non QB), whether it's exclusive or not, I think other teams then decide to move on. I doubt most of the tagged players are worth the 2 first rounders that the compensation requires. Most likely would be a tag and trade situation.

I mean, with Pittman, he's a good WR, but I wouldn't call him a WR1 that I pay over $25 mill to on average.
Right . And they're mostly likely going to give Tua a huge contract. Some sacrifices are unavoidable. Forgot about the whole Tua decision.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
I would be wary of Higgins if I was a team.

Gives Alvin Harper thriving opposite Irvin vibes. Won't work out if he is #1 somewhere

Now if he goes somewhere that he is 1-2 punch with another star WR sure it will work but I assume at this juncture he is looking for #1 money which he is not getting

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad