2024 Draft Thread

horner

May 22, 2007
I feel like Brunicke might be the best pick to make. Probably surprise people like the Cowan and Minten picks but I feel like his potential is higher than most in this draft.

Idk where he is ranked but Kevin He would be a good pick if he makes it to the 4th round.
I think we could trade back and get an extra pick and still draft him .

Reactions: TheMadHatTrick

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I've been warming up to Ryder Ritchie quite a bit. I'm a big fan of fast skating and skilled players. A lot to like with him. A bit of a riser lately has been Maxim Masse. Probably more of a 2nd round quality.

Also, interesting that they have Charlie Elick ranked all the way down to 31st for NA skaters. That would make him almost a late 2nd round pick if you combine both.

Last edited:
Reactions: RomanianLeafs

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I've been warming up to Ryder Ritchie quite a bit. I'm a big fan of fast skating and skilled players. A lot to like with him. A bit of a riser lately has been Maxim Masse. Probably more of a 2nd round quality.

Also, interesting that they have Charlie Elick ranked all the way down to 31st for NA skaters. That would make him almost a late 2nd round pick if you combine both.

I can't believe Dickinson is listed #7

Reactions: uncleben

horner

May 22, 2007
I feel like Brunicke might be the best pick to make. Probably surprise people like the Cowan and Minten picks but I feel like his potential is higher than most in this draft.

Idk where he is ranked but Kevin He would be a good pick if he makes it to the 4th round.
Brunicke and Elick are om the U18 canada team.
EJ Emery and Skahan is on the USA team

Really excited to watch these players

Last edited:

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009
Centre and defense are definitely needs, but if Liam Greentree is there at our pick (probably won’t be), I don’t hate adding another big scoring winger to add to the top 9.

horner

May 22, 2007
Centre and defense are definitely needs, but if Liam Greentree is there at our pick (probably won’t be), I don’t hate adding another big scoring winger to add to the top 9.
I have watched him play against the London Knight.
Not impressed with him

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
Noel Fransen out of Farjestad very impressive in my viewing. He made an insane deke where a the defender literally lost his stick while his ankles broke.

Cleared second place on his team by 10 points.... as a defenseman.

Also liked his teammate Straume Vatne, but he doesn't look like he's on anyones radar.

Reactions: SprDaVE

Fonzieleaf

Jul 8, 2013
Collingwood, Ontario
I have a feeling we are going to draft Sam O'Reilly from London. Up there in rookie scoring with 20 g, 36 a with 56 points in 68 games. Right now he has 2 points in 5 playoff games. Very hard worker with an outstanding motor just like Cowan. In fact similar stats as Cowan in his draft year. These are the kind of players we have been targeting now for the past few years. Wouldn't be surprised if we snagged him.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008

A few notables, mostly from reading this thread -- Sennecke at 12, Jiricek 13, Greentree 17, Beaudoin 22, Elick 23, Ritchie 34, Vanaker 35 and Luchanko 36

A nice read with some NHL player comparisons. Cole Beaudoin is high on my radar and Pronman seems to like him too -- compared to Andrew Copp. Skating will need to improve.

Beaudoin is a very likable player. He's a very hardworking center, with NHL size and skill. He is constantly noticeable throughout the game in how many pucks he wins and the amount of plays he makes. He is quite physical and doesn't shy from getting to the tough areas of the ice. He can create offense in junior, but with a heavy skating stride, the debate is in how his game will translate to the pros. I've seen him get by enough defenders and think his compete is so good that his game will work in a potential third-line center role.

Last edited:
Reactions: SeaOfBlue

RomanianLeafs

Apr 14, 2009
Arad
I have a feeling we are going to draft Sam O'Reilly from London. Up there in rookie scoring with 20 g, 36 a with 56 points in 68 games. Right now he has 2 points in 5 playoff games. Very hard worker with an outstanding motor just like Cowan. In fact similar stats as Cowan in his draft year. These are the kind of players we have been targeting now for the past few years. Wouldn't be surprised if we snagged him.
Yeah i like him a lot Sam O'Reilly

Taylor Halls Teeth

Jul 11, 2018
Edmonton
Too early to worry about this pick for me. I like that they were prepared (supposedly) to move it for the right deal and I like that even though they could have improved their chances with a Tanev or a Walker they chose not to. I don't agree with that but it seems like there is a deeper strategy than in previous years. But what happens to the pick is probably tied to this year's playoff. I think they only keep it if they have a deep run.

Thornbury

Dec 29, 2019
Too early to worry about this pick for me. I like that they were prepared (supposedly) to move it for the right deal and I like that even though they could have improved their chances with a Tanev or a Walker they chose not to. I don't agree with that but it seems like there is a deeper strategy than in previous years. But what happens to the pick is probably tied to this year's playoff. I think they only keep it if they have a deep run.
I would be surprised if, after having decided not to trade their first to take a run at it this year, they then decide to move it because their strategy not to go all in resulted in an early playoff exit. Seems to me Treliving has decided to balance short and long term considerations, and he'll keep the 2024 1st. I wish Dubas had taken that approach a couple of years.

Taylor Halls Teeth

Jul 11, 2018
Edmonton
I would be surprised if, after having decided not to trade their first to take a run at it this year, they then decide to move it because their strategy not to go all in resulted in an early playoff exit. Seems to me Treliving has decided to balance short and long term considerations, and he'll keep the 2024 1st. I wish Dubas had taken that approach a couple of years.
I don't think they kept the pick because they didn't want to take a run at it. I think they are a little bit desperate by now TBH. But even though Shanny may be on thin ice I believe they didnt want to trade the pick for a player they could maybe sign as a UFA this summer. The story was back in February, they might move it. but if not for a Tanev, maybe the pick wasn't moving for a rental. and the special bigger deal couldn't quite be made?

If they have a deep run with the pieces already here, they maybe have the luxury of keeping the pick. If not, its a big spend because they will extend Mitch SOS and another failed playoff means they will have to somehow make meaningful changes outside of the locked in core. Thats my theory at least.

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
I've now finished 3 games of Noel Fransen and he's really, really good. Fantastic skater, great hands, use his shot effectively, knows when to jump into rushes, and is actually relatively decent defensively. His passing ability is better than it all though and I've said words like "outrageous" multiple times to myself lol. I haven't followed this draft class much with how busy I've been but I fail to see how he's a second round pick talent, especially with his production relative to his team. He's come out of nowhere a bit too as he was only on Team Sweden's radar this season, but that shouldn't hurt a talent like his.

I'm not a huge fan of how much he tries to do himself so far, but that could potentially be attributed to the lack of offensive talent surrounding him. He also is inconsistent defensively. He knows when to pick his spots offensively, but he seems to lack confidence in consistently attacking the blueline on the rush, and doesn't consistently box out players in front of the net. Pretty much I see consistency issues, but what 18 year old doesn't.

All-In-all, if he was our 1st round pick I'd be ecstatic.

Edit: Dude reminds me of Roman Josi in a way. I didn't really follow prospects then, but Josi also was a secound round pick I'm sure ~29 teams would like a do-over on.

Last edited:

horner

May 22, 2007
Elich 1g 1a against Finland tune-up game for the u18 tune-up game for the u18 tournament.
Keep an eye on carson wetsch 1 g today
Big tough winger

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008
Elick would fit a huge organizational need and frankly, you will always need a top 4 RD because they're so rare.
If all he ever becomes is a Lybushkin who can skate or an Erik Cernak, that risk is still worth the potential reward that he can be another Brandon Carlo, Colton Parayko, or if you really want to dream, a Shea Weber. Weber only had 2 goals and 16 assists over 70 games during his draft year, then exploded offensively in his D+1 and D+2 seasons.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad