2024 Draft Thread

AintLifeGrand

Burnin Jet-A
Apr 8, 2009
GreatestSnowOnEarth
Took a couple looks at Helenius. Man, the kid looks like the next Aho.

My view is that if we don't somehow sneak into the top-10/12 and get a chance at a Helenius, Connelly or even Lindström then we'd probably be better off drafting a defenseman. Here's my estimate on the top-15 after the WJC.

1. Celebrini
--
2. Eiserman
3. Levshunov
4. Catton
5. Dickinson
--
6. Helenius
7. Lindström
8. Buium
9. Demidov
--
10. Silayev
11. Brandegg-Nygård
12. Connelly
--
13. Yakemchuk
14. Parekh
15. Jiricek
No D men in the first round unless we have an additional first...we have Stastny, Ufko, Matier, Del Gaizo, Livingstone waiting in the wings ...Plus Lauzon who is young and improving

Reactions: OHLoutsider2020

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
I wouldnt project a single one of those to turn out to be first pairing quality dmen.
Yeah I like those guys but they all most likely cap out as middle pairing at best. Plus, Stastney, Del Gaizo, and Livingstone are all already 24 so you probably want to restock the cupboard behind them. We don't necessarily need to go defense but I also wouldn't not pick best player available if it happens to be a defenseman.

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
Interesting list. Dickinson and Eiserman clearly falling, Buium (unexpectedly) on the rise after a strong WJC showing.

A bit surprised to see Catton so low as well. Could he be this year's Benson/Kemell/Caufield?

No real surprises on the INT side. I do think that Brandsegg-Nygård will overtake Hemming come draft day and will end up going in the top-15.

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
ufko definitely is- his analytics are trending in a direction where there is a decent probability he will be a 45 pt + defenseman
With our top-d prospects, we could be icing one of history's smallest D cores in the league.

Molendyk
Ufko
Statsney
MDG

Are all sub-6 foot.

Need some size back there, ASAP.

Kat Predator

Nov 28, 2019
Yeah I like those guys but they all most likely cap out as middle pairing at best. Plus, Stastney, Del Gaizo, and Livingstone are all already 24 so you probably want to restock the cupboard behind them. We don't necessarily need to go defense but I also wouldn't not pick best player available if it happens to be a defenseman.
The whole concept of having a pipeline does not involve shutting it completely down until something not under your control and unrelated happens.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Livingstone doesn't seem to be trending towards an NHL career, however? Well, you can't always read into statistics alone (look at Stastney!) and maybe he's playing a lot better within a more defensive role than his stats line. Any Ads watchers care to comment? I figured this risk was going to be there with him... he was great in college, but doesn't seem to be either very dynamic offensively nor particularly physical/shut-down oriented... in short, kind of a classical tweener profile. :dunno:

Molendyk and Stastney are the D we have on hand who I have confidence in. The rest... who knows? I definitely do not think that our current prospect list precludes us from drafting a D in Round 1 next season. If that's the player who stands out, take him.

wmupreds

Dec 15, 2022
Livingstone doesn't seem to be trending towards an NHL career, however? Well, you can't always read into statistics alone (look at Stastney!) and maybe he's playing a lot better within a more defensive role than his stats line. Any Ads watchers care to comment? I figured this risk was going to be there with him... he was great in college, but doesn't seem to be either very dynamic offensively nor particularly physical/shut-down oriented... in short, kind of a classical tweener profile. :dunno:

Molendyk and Stastney are the D we have on hand who I have confidence in. The rest... who knows? I definitely do not think that our current prospect list precludes us from drafting a D in Round 1 next season. If that's the player who stands out, take him.
I mean, I don't know, I think Livingstone projects as exactly a "shutdown" defenseman. Physicality aside, there are better ways to play shutdown defense than throwing lots of hits. Look at Lauzon (I know he's been better this year but still hardly great), he's very physical but struggles with one on one defending and oftentimes positionally too.

I'm not super high on Livingstone, but hey, if he turns out to be bottom pair or even a 7th/8th injury replacement type that's a win considering we got him for free at 23 years old. Think Gravel/McKeown but younger and maybe a little more offensive upside

Reactions: Porter Stoutheart

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia

Del Gaizo looked good at camp and then looked good in his games up here but then when the time came for call ups later we called up Stastney. I think Stastney's game looks a little better in the NHL but Del Gaizo could end up as a bottom pairing dman. End of the day though, with josi, McDonagh, and lauzon at the nhl level and Stastney, del gaizo, and Molendyk competing to get into the nhl we dont really have room for both MDG and Stastney going forward atleast not at the nhl level unless one is gonna stay in tbe pressbox

Reactions: Porter Stoutheart

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
February Ranking:

1. Celebrini
--
2. Demidov
3. Helenius
4. Dickinson
5. Levshunov
--
6. Buium
7. Brandsegg-Nygård
--
8. Catton
9. Yakemchuk
10. Eiserman
11. Parekh
--
12. Lindstrom
13. Connelly
14. Silyaev
15. Jiricek
16. Hutson

I think in this draft, there's a BIG drop-off after the top-15. Expect to teams trade their late-1st picks this year.

AintLifeGrand

Burnin Jet-A
Apr 8, 2009
GreatestSnowOnEarth

I still think Connelly is our guy

Eiserman who is dropping could also be consirered a “swing”

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
If it's top 10 it transfers to 26 right?
Yeah one would assume. I don't see the protection spelled out, but that's probably it. I wonder if it would just keep transferring into the future if the Bolts go into a tank mode and pick in the top-10 for next 5 years... maybe we didn't get as much for Jeannot as we thought! :D

Reactions: Soundgarden

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
If it's top 10 it transfers to 26 right?
I am pretty sure they could give us their 26 pick, unprotected, or if they saw that the Big Suck was coming, go ahead and give us their 25 even if it is top 10. But they can't just keep deferring it forever. This happened with Ottawa and Colorado and I believe is how Colorado got Makar

Reactions: Kat Predator

Kat Predator

Nov 28, 2019
I am pretty sure they could give us their 26 pick, unprotected, or if they saw that the Big Suck was coming, go ahead and give us their 25 even if it is top 10. But they can't just keep deferring it forever. This happened with Ottawa and Colorado and I believe is how Colorado got Makar
In a way, it's almost the perfect scenario. Trade for a 1st round protected pick and have the other team fall into the "top 10 protected" area and defer the pick a season. Chances are really very good that a team in the bottom 10 one year will still be bad enough the next year that you get a top 10 pick anyway. And maybe Cal Makar happens to be in that draft and fall in your lap.

PS: If Chicago finishes 32nd, I'm hoping the lottery slots them in at picking 4th. :)

Reactions: PredsV82

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad