Pre-Game Talk: 2024 Draft Thread

PerryTurnbullfan

Sep 30, 2006
Penalty Box
Ferrari's ranking he released today are wild. Huge discrepancy from most of the others. Doesn't mean he is wrong, but he projects some guys available for us (Helenius, Parekh, Yak, and Eiserman, along with both the USHL centers) that I wouldn't otherwise expect to all be there and would be quite interesting options to consider.
I think he reads my post ha ha. He even had Herman Traff up there. Yeah, it was a very wild take. I kind of enjoyed it compared to some of the vanilla stuff I’ve been seeing lately. It’s as if he actually watched a few games. I like Konsta, but I think he’s got a huge flop factor. What if…the next two levels neutralize Parekh? I don’t think the next one will. I think Eiserman scores. It’s just a question how much and will he score enough to overshadow his faults. Can Yak tame his game and still be a top 2? They all 4 have big question marks of high and low ceiling. I think all 4 will be gone.

PerryTurnbullfan

Sep 30, 2006
Penalty Box
I've watched some of Boisvert and Hage recently and right now I'd take Boisvert. Hage has nice tools, but I think Boisvert has a significant edge in hockey sense and physical skills. Will need to watch more of these guys still to fully evaluate. Would be interested in others thoughts on these two as they are both USHL centers so should be a pretty straightforward comparison.
So playoffs started and gamblers and Steel are playing in a ref lost his whistle game. It’s a bruiser and Hage really looks like he wants no part. Got shoved in the goal (got ann anssist out of it) and pushed down several times. Not much for a physical game. Don’t know if I care for that too much. Just grind it out.

Reactions: Blueston

LGB

Feb 4, 2019
So playoffs started and gamblers and Steel are playing in a ref lost his whistle game. It’s a bruiser and Hage really looks like he wants no part. Got shoved in the goal (got ann anssist out of it) and pushed down several times. Not much for a physical game. Don’t know if I care for that too much. Just grind it out.
He ended up with 3 points though

PerryTurnbullfan

Sep 30, 2006
Penalty Box
He ended up with 3 points though
and 15 minutes in penalties. Maybe he just needed another period to get pissed. I had to get up early and checked out after watching a period. The way they were going after him I’m not surprised if he gave them a high two hander. Give him the benefit of the doubt.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
and 15 minutes in penalties. Maybe he just needed another period to get pissed. I had to get up early and checked out after watching a period. The way they were going after him I’m not surprised if he gave them a high two hander. Give him the benefit of the doubt.
i didn't see it, but all 15 minutes were in final seconds of game.

PJJJP

Dec 2, 2021
Pronman had a new list that came out yesterday. He also included player comps for each prospect of who they remind him of stylistically. Can't say I agree with everything tho. Here's the top 15
1. Celebrini- Crosby
2. Levshunov- Dobson
3. Yakemchuk- Pietrangelo
4. Buium- Reilly
5. Silyayev- Chara
6. Catton- Cooley
7. Parekh- Klingberg
8. Demidov- Skinner
9. Dickinson- Hanafin
10. Helenius- Thomas
11. Lindstrom- Kreider
12. Sennecke- Marchenko
13. Jiricek- Gavrikov
14. Eiserman- Tipett
15. Iginla- Peterka

PerryTurnbullfan

Sep 30, 2006
Penalty Box
Pronman had a new list that came out yesterday. He also included player comps for each prospect of who they remind him of stylistically. Can't say I agree with everything tho. Here's the top 15
1. Celebrini- Crosby
2. Levshunov- Dobson
3. Yakemchuk- Pietrangelo
4. Buium- Reilly
5. Silyayev- Chara
6. Catton- Cooley
7. Parekh- Klingberg
8. Demidov- Skinner
9. Dickinson- Hanafin
10. Helenius- Thomas
11. Lindstrom- Kreider
12. Sennecke- Marchenko
13. Jiricek- Gavrikov
14. Eiserman- Tipett
15. Iginla- Peterka
Petro and Yak????? 🤣😂🤣

Reactions: sfvega and Blueston

PerryTurnbullfan

Sep 30, 2006
Penalty Box
I thought many of comps outside top 8 or so were fairly thoughtful, but yak and levshunov comps are awful.
Yak-Subban
Dickinson-Petro
Parekh-housely
Helenius-Sobotka
Greentree-Backes
Nygard-Conroy early
Surin-Gilmour but bigger version
HAGE-Kyrou
Connelly-Hoffman
Elick-JBo later career
Badinka-Reinbacher

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
If his offense can continue to translate to the next two levels, then he can be special in the right player situation and with a very innovative coach. I have a hard time seeing him as defensively adequate at the pro level. They are only 18.
if he can produce like housley, what is deemed adequate defending isn't that high of a bar.

Reactions: PerryTurnbullfan

Blueswin

Jun 13, 2021
new mock draft -https://www.bleachernation.com/blackhawks/2024/04/20/2024-nhl-mock-draft-stanley-cup-playoffs-begin-two-full-rounds/

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
I've been critical of this draft but it’s growing on me. I think I had particularly underestimated the European guys. This is down year for Sweden and Slovakia, but is strong class from Russia particularly, but also Czechia, Swiss, Norway, and even Finland is better than last few.

Overall there seem to be nice crop of good sized nhl players. Maybe not the upside as last year, but less risk. Eager for u18s!

PerryTurnbullfan

Sep 30, 2006
Penalty Box
I've been critical of this draft but it’s growing on me. I think I had particularly underestimated the European guys. This is down year for Sweden and Slovakia, but is strong class from Russia particularly, but also Czechia, Swiss, Norway, and even Finland is better than last few.

Overall there seem to be nice crop of good sized nhl players. Maybe not the upside as last year, but less risk. Eager for u18s!
What is a good way to watch them this year?

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
I see ESPN+ is listed. That would be awesome if they (or at least some) are on there.

I had originally read that Helenius wouldn’t be there and would be playing in the Worlds instead but now sounds like he’ll be there, which is good.

I saw the roster Canada put out and it’s…not great…at least in terms of 2024 draftees. Some big names in the 2025 & 26 drafts are on the list. But was only 19 players so I’m sure they’re hoping to add some studs to the roster late.

Last edited:

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
I see ESPN+ is listed. That would be awesome if they (or at least some) are on there.

I had originally read that Helenius wouldn’t be there and would be playing in the Worlds instead but now sounds like he’ll be there, which is good.

I saw the roster Canada put out and it’s…not great…at least in terms of 2024 draftees. Some big names in the 2025 & 26 drafts are on the list. But was only 19 players so I’m sure they’re hoping to add some studs to the roster late.
Looks like helenius may play both u18s and Worlds.

I know there are guys who just got eliminated in CHL playoffs, but I’m hoping they add ushl guys. Want to see boisvert and hage in this tourney more than remaining CHL guys.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad