2024 April NHL Mock

Ford Prefect

Mar 2, 2002
Montreal
Visit site
If the top 4 fall as you predict (and the order is still the same) I don't think that Montreal passes on Demidov. The last true first-line player they had was Lafleur. With all due respect to their current first line, Demidov could potentially be a top 10 player in the league (obviously it would take a lot to go right). Lindstrom would be a sweet add; I don't remember the last sizable first line center the team had. Last year even before the draft there were whispers coming out that they weren't keen on Michkov's character. As of yet there hasn't been anything regarding him; to the contrary I believe Bobrov has been high on him.

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
You tried to use it as evidence that Yakemchuk is ‘climbing’. I was just pointing out that Yakemchuk is doing no such thing. The only person who has Yakemchuk ranked top-5 has always had him top-5.
I suspect Yakemchuk will have a better NHL career than some of the other more highly touted defensive prospects. That kid is built for the NHL. Nevertheless, this is a strong draft. Everyone picking in the top 10 will be getting a core player. And one of them will be Yakemchuk.

spfan

May 4, 2009
We’ll see. Yakemchuk has a far greater chance of getting selected 3 by Anaheim than Michkov going 2nd to Anaheim, lol. Based off your prediction last year, you have clearly possess a lack of understanding to the Duck’s drafting philosophy. I would suggest looking into Carter more. I can guarantee he is a top 5 pick come draft day.
I'm not unfamiliar with him. I like him, but I don't love him. Wouldn't be shocked if he goes in the top 10, but 3rd, yeah.
Also, the list you saw of mine is of how I would draft if I were each team. My actual prediction was Anaheim taking Fantilli. It was a semi surprise they took Carlsson, but I mean they passed on a big center to take a big center. And Carlsson was very close in rank. So it wasn't really some big change in "philosophy".

And there's a bigger d-man who's probably gonna go before Yakemchuk anyways. Silayev. I predict he goes #2 to Chicago, which then will allow Levshunov to go to Anaheim. And to clarify, that's my predictions. Not my rankings. I think Silayev is fine, but shouldn't go super high, but he will because...size.

I also think the whole "they did this this year, so they always draft like that" is very short term. Anaheim taking Carlsson, doesn't mean they love big players only. They also drafted Zegras, who's a smaller, dynamic player. Not alike Carlsson at all really.

Just as Arizona took 2 big Russians last year, doesn't mean they will always go for size and Russians. They drafted Cooley and Guenther high as well. Every draft is a different situation. I don't think any team will follow the same thing year after year or even beyond 1 year. Every year, you're in a different position with each draft board. Even if a team goes for size sometimes, doesn't mean they're passing on a Jack Hughes or a Connor Bedard.

The only real example I'd say that has more consistency is that the Caps go for Russians more than other teams because of Ovi. But even then, it's still gonna be situational.

Last edited:
Reactions: Blueswin

Old Navy Goat

Apr 24, 2003
Pattaya Thailand aka adult Disneyland
I am surprised and interested in your perspective on this statement since The Hockey Writers have 3 of the Sabres' top 5 prospects at centre and Thompson, Cozens, and Krebs with the big club.
Neither Thompson nor Cozens are especially good at C. Thompson is good offensively but lacking defensive acumen. Cozens is probably better suited on the wing ala Jeff Carter where he's passable but lacks the vision you'd ideally want. Krebs does a lot of stupid crap that you get away with in Juniors. He hasn't shown much that you'd hedge a bet on that he's more than a tweener.

Prospect wise you really only have Ostlund as a surefire C. They've been playing Kulich there but he's probably destined for the wing. Savoie is a question whether he'd be better served as a C or that fast, pesky wing. They also have Wahlberg that has played both but so far in the AHL as a 19yo he's looking like he belongs as a power forward winger.

Reactions: BernieParent

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
Neither Thompson nor Cozens are especially good at C. Thompson is good offensively but lacking defensive acumen. Cozens is probably better suited on the wing ala Jeff Carter where he's passable but lacks the vision you'd ideally want. Krebs does a lot of stupid crap that you get away with in Juniors. He hasn't shown much that you'd hedge a bet on that he's more than a tweener.

Prospect wise you really only have Ostlund as a surefire C. They've been playing Kulich there but he's probably destined for the wing. Savoie is a question whether he'd be better served as a C or that fast, pesky wing. They also have Wahlberg that has played both but so far in the AHL as a 19yo he's looking like he belongs as a power forward winger.
Thanks for your reply. The reason for my interest was that I thought Buffalo would be an ideal trade target for a young C given the plethora they seemed to have.

Reactions: Old Navy Goat

DomBarr

Apr 7, 2014
Rank tankathon for the lottery, feedback is appreciated, enjoy!

1. Chicago Black Hawks: Macklin Celebrini

2. San Jose Sharks: Artyom Levshunov

3. Anaheim Ducks: Carter Yakemchuk

4. Columbus Blue Jackets: Sam Dickinson

5. Montreal Canadiens: Cayden Lindstrom

6. Utah X: Ivan Demidov

7. Ottawa Senators: Zayne Parekh

8. Seattle Kraken: Antyon Silayev

9. Calgary Flames: Tij Iginla

10. New Jersey Devils: Cole Eiserman

11. Buffalo Sabres: Adam Jiricek

12. Philadelphia Flyers: Berkly Catton

13. Minnesota Wild: Konsta Helenius

14. San Jose Sharks: Zev Buium

15. Detroit Red Wings: Michael Bransegg Nygard
I know the Iginla family connection is there BUT there is no way the Flames should pass on Catton if he slides to 9th OA. Skilled offensively talented centers are non-existent in the Flames system.

Patty Ice

Straight to the Banc
Feb 27, 2002
Not California
My reaction if/when Chicago "wins" the lottery again

1000003860.gif

• Haha
Reactions: Dan Kelly

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad