Speculation: 2024-25 Roster thread

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
In all seriousness, this whole team needs to put more effort into shot accuracy. Way too many times they miss the net by 5 feet and the pucks rims around and back into the defensive zone. Put that shot on net and all kinds of good things can happen. Rebounds, tips, defensive screw ups and whatever else, can all lead to goals. Slappers off the glass that exit the zone faster than they went in, not so much.

They need to have a shooting accuracy drill every practice (shoot at an empty net, it goes in or not) and Verbeek needs to put up beer money every single time for the winner of the competition. Make it fun but beneficial to improving their skills.

DuckDuckGetz

Nov 20, 2017
In all seriousness, this whole team needs to put more effort into shot accuracy. Way too many times they miss the net by 5 feet and the pucks rims around and back into the defensive zone. Put that shot on net and all kinds of good things can happen. Rebounds, tips, defensive screw ups and whatever else, can all lead to goals. Slappers off the glass that exit the zone faster than they went in, not so much.

They need to have a shooting accuracy drill every practice (shoot at an empty net, it goes in or not) and Verbeek needs to put up beer money every single time for the winner of the competition. Make it fun but beneficial to improving their skills.
I like the spirit of it, but it's a little funny to imagine Verbeek putting up beer money for guys making millions of dollars a year

duxfan1101

Sep 20, 2014
California
Here are a couple of defensive lineups I'm thinking of for next season:

W/ Luneau:
Mintyukov-New RHD
Zellweger-Gudas
Fowler-Luneau
LaCombe, Lindstrom

W/O Luneau:
Mintyukov-New RHD
LaCombe-Gudas
Fowler-Zellweger
Lindstrom

If a LHD is going to play on the right, it should be Zellweger. I don't want to see LaCombe-Fowler again, and LaCombe was much better with Gudas anyway. I would personally start Luneau in the AHL unless he really forces his way onto the roster. However, Verbeek has said the plan is for him to be in the NHL. I would also keep Lindstrom, not because I think he's great or anything, but he's a righty who can play minutes in the NHL, and we don't have many of those.

Reactions: Kalv

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
Statements like this affirm my suspicion that we have become completely ok with mediocrity.

Terry has entered his prime years and just signed a nice fat deal signaling the organizations belief that he is part of the solution to the Ducks moving out of the basement. We should/need to expect more from him. He should not be taking steps back in his contributions to the team, and he most certainly did that this year. 0.71 PPG is not good enough, regardless of how you swing it or who you compare him to. Just watch the games dude....Terry was ass this year.

This is hilarious. Talk about a complete lack of self awareness.

How about we work on using our teammates and not turning the puck over? Guy is delusional.
If Terry was ass, what was everyone else? Rancid, decayed ass? Terry isn’t a star player, and isn’t paid like a star player. People need to look at where his salary is compared to the rest of the league.

Hes not a 90 point carry a line type player. When the people he’s playing with don’t perform, he’s going to also have a drop in production. Hopefully everyone does better next year.

I simply do not comprehend writing off the guy who fell off slightly and completely absolving everyone else who either fell off significantly more, failed to progress, and were just as streaky. I’m not saying Terry was amazing. I’m saying that he’s being held to a higher standard because he got paid appropriately on his RFA contract.
Statements like this affirm my suspicion that we have become completely ok with mediocrity.

Terry has entered his prime years and just signed a nice fat deal signaling the organizations belief that he is part of the solution to the Ducks moving out of the basement. We should/need to expect more from him. He should not be taking steps back in his contributions to the team, and he most certainly did that this year. 0.71 PPG is not good enough, regardless of how you swing it or who you compare him to. Just watch the games dude....Terry was ass this year.

This is hilarious. Talk about a complete lack of self awareness.

How about we work on using our teammates and not turning the puck over? Guy is delusional.
if Terry was ass, what was literally every other non-rookie not named Vatrano? Gangrenous ass?

My point is not that Terry played well. My point was that Terry played considerably less badly than all the rest of them, and that i find it comical that everyone absolves everyone else but excoriates the guy who wasn’t nearly as bad.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Lot to digest from what Verbeek said. To Summarize some things from what I read..

• Going after a Top 6 RW, and Top 4 RHD this summer
  • Thinks Zegras and Gauthier will give Cronin options, both can still play C?
  • Wants to compete for a playoff spot next year
  • Likes to have Power Killers, with Leo and Cutter getting PK time?
  • Has not made decisions on new assistants yet for Cronin?

duxfan1101

Sep 20, 2014
California
Lot to digest from what Verbeek said. To Summarize some things from what I read..

He also would like the team to have a captain next year.

Rasp

Apr 9, 2019

Also add that he is happy with Cronin's performance

Leonardo87

Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Also add that he is happy with Cronin's performance

I honestly felt we were getting better towards the end, but ran out of runway. Zegras and Leo were both looking very good, we added Cutter, who had an immediate impact. Dostal finishing with over a .900 Sv%. Vatrano blowing past his career numbers.

Still a season , I would like to put in the rear view mirror, but the last 6 or 7 games gave me some hope. But still so much work to do, and adding a Top 6 RW and Top 4 D, is really going to help us take the next step,

Deuce22

Jun 17, 2013
SoCal & Idaho
If Terry was ass, what was everyone else? Rancid, decayed ass? Terry isn’t a star player, and isn’t paid like a star player. People need to look at where his salary is compared to the rest of the league.

Hes not a 90 point carry a line type player. When the people he’s playing with don’t perform, he’s going to also have a drop in production. Hopefully everyone does better next year.

I simply do not comprehend writing off the guy who fell off slightly and completely absolving everyone else who either fell off significantly more, failed to progress, and were just as streaky. I’m not saying Terry was amazing. I’m saying that he’s being held to a higher standard because he got paid appropriately on his RFA contract.

if Terry was ass, what was literally every other non-rookie not named Vatrano? Gangrenous ass?

My point is not that Terry played well. My point was that Terry played considerably less badly than all the rest of them, and that i find it comical that everyone absolves everyone else but excoriates the guy who wasn’t nearly as bad.
I’m not evaluating Terry by comparing him to other Ducks. Rookies, low payroll guys, and players missing games with injury shouldn’t have the same expectations. I’m basing my disappointment on his contract and previous production. He had a poor season, IMO.

Rasp

Apr 9, 2019
I honestly felt we were getting better towards the end, but ran out of runway. Zegras and Leo were both looking very good, we added Cutter, who had an immediate impact. Dostal finishing with over a .900 Sv%. Vatrano blowing past his career numbers.

Still a season , I would like to put in the rear view mirror, but the last 6 or 7 games gave me some hope. But still so much work to do, and adding a Top 6 RW and Top 4 D, is really going to help us take the next step,
The start was great and the end was great. I have lots of optimism for next year with a health roster. We wont make playoffs but we will start to see growth in the team

Reactions: Leonardo87

Leonardo87

Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
The start was great and the end was great. I have lots of optimism for next year with a health roster. We wont make playoffs but we will start to see growth in the team

I think if we were closer to healthy , think we would be much higher in the standings. I think we were like 5th or 6th in the league for man games lost to injury.

Now adding more depth this summer, can withstand some of those injuries.

Reactions: Ducks DVM

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal

Cronin said he was hands off in the last 20 games, which were games after the TDL. That's probably why Z was scoring again b/c Z was allowed to do Z things instead of Cronin things.

Question is, which Cronin will surface at the start of next season? The one that rides your ass too hard and no room for flexibility or the one that can step back and accentuate the players' talents to their best ability?

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
I’m not evaluating Terry by comparing him to other Ducks. Rookies, low payroll guys, and players missing games with injury shouldn’t have the same expectations. I’m basing my disappointment on his contract and previous production. He had a poor season, IMO.
Zegras isn’t a rookie. McTavish isn’t a rookie. Strome isn’t a rookie. Killorn isn’t a rookie. Gibson isn’t a rookie. Dostal isn’t a rookie.

Terry missed games with injuries after McTavish rearranged his face with his shoulder, and wasn’t as good after. Double standard?

Edit - it’s also nonsense to absolve his linemates for poor play for reasons. Terry should have had a minimum of another 10 assists, and arguably double that, if Killorn, Zegras, and Carlsson could score tap in goals off his passes. That knife cuts both ways.

Last edited:

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
Cronin said he was hands off in the last 20 games, which were games after the TDL. That's probably why Z was scoring again b/c Z was allowed to do Z things instead of Cronin things.

Question is, which Cronin will surface at the start of next season? The one that rides your ass too hard and no room for flexibility or the one that can step back and accentuate the players' talents to their best ability?
I do wonder if some of the injuries were due to overworking the team early.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
I do wonder if some of the injuries were due to overworking the team early.

I know it sent both Drysdale and Z to injury b/c they were going 100% from 0%, which Cronin recounted. Being overworked not only led to potential injuries, but also increased our penalties.

As for injuries, it's surprising how many player were playing through injuries. The Ducks Stream with Minty, Leo, and Zell, we all found out that Minty and Leo were playing through injuries - which neither had done before. I think it's just stupidity for making your youths play through injury when they're supposed to be figuring out how to play in the NHL.

Reactions: Rasp and Ducks DVM

Henrique Iglesias

Jun 15, 2009
Alberta, Canada

I can go and give an evaluation on every player if you really want. It doesn’t change the fact that I expect more from Terry because he has proven he can give more.

Ya…a lot of other guys had poor seasons too. I was talking specifically about Terry. I was comparing TERRY to TERRY.

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
I can go and give an evaluation on every player if you really want. It doesn’t change the fact that I expect more from Terry because he has proven he can give more.

Ya…a lot of other guys had poor seasons too. I was talking specifically about Terry. I was comparing TERRY to TERRY.
The question still stands. I am truly curious if a slight falloff in production (and still leading the team in assists) in a year where his linemates were inconsistent at best and significantly worse than he was at worst, where he had a concussion from friendly fire, and new baby syndrome is “ass” how you rate the rest of the team.

Deuce22

Jun 17, 2013
SoCal & Idaho
Zegras isn’t a rookie. McTavish isn’t a rookie. Strome isn’t a rookie. Killorn isn’t a rookie. Gibson isn’t a rookie. Dostal isn’t a rookie.

Terry missed games with injuries after McTavish rearranged his face with his shoulder, and wasn’t as good after. Double standard?

Edit - it’s also nonsense to absolve his linemates for poor play for reasons. Terry should have had a minimum of another 10 assists, and arguably double that, if Killorn, Zegras, and Carlsson could score tap in goals off his passes. That knife cuts both ways.
Not absolving anyone else of anything. Don't care. Evaluating Terry for what I expected of Terry. Using ones line mates as an excuse/reason for lack of production can cut both ways, as well.

Reactions: Ducks DVM

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad