Speculation: 2024-25 Roster thread

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
With the 2023-24 season over, time to look ahead to next season!

Previous thread…

Speculation: - 2023-24 Roster Thread

7 picks in first 3 rounds
2 1st, 2 2nds, 3 3rds, 1 4th and 1 6th.
Aim at goal scorer/compliment middle 6 wingers and RHD(or 2way dmen)

Decisions to make on RFA
Lindstrom- resign
, baring any rhd trade/sign
Leason - resign, good 4th liner/pk/ can play up in line up
Vaaks- trade/let go, he’s been solid for us but I just think there isn’t room to keep him
Lacombe- resign, plays both sides and still has potential to show more as a 2way guy
Jones - let go, injury prone and doesn’t do enough when he’s on the ice
Groulx - let go, just don’t see nhl player in him
Lundy- Undecided, I like lundy, and want to see a spot for him on the roster, but the top 9 is going to be very crowded and his faceoff/penalty killing isnt good enough for what we need on the 4th line imo.... i think id explore other options and if we cant find anything fall back to lundy

What we need:
- Right handed shot top 6 goal scorer, Stamkos, Necas, Arvidsson and Boeser are the potential obvious options, but sure there are other options that will come out.

-Right handed Dmen, pref 2way leaning towards shut down guy- Roy, Pesce, Savard, Demelo are some names that have been talked about

- 4th line center that can win face offs and penalty kill- Could be Lundy, maybe gaucher is ready at camp(tho i think he needs time in the AHL still), Maybe we reisgn Carrick or henrique for that position. Trade/FA names that ive liked Teddy Blueger(UFA), Ross Colton(via trade).

What we can get rid of(non rfas)
Gibson- Im a bit conflicted on this one, but i dont think hell want to be back up to Dostal... but i do wonder if the team starting to improve doesnt jump start his confidence... if we trade Gibson.... wed essentially be looking for a similar thing that Gibson in theory can provide.... and if were retaining on gibson via trade were basically paying close to the same for the new guy.

Strome- If we do bring in a top 9 forwads, and guys like Gauthier/Colangelo earn spots on the roster, is there even room for a guy like strome on the team anymore... could play him on 4th line and as someone that moves up line up for injuries

Fowler- In different on him, i think Minty/Zell/luneau being potentially ready to pick up more mins means fowlers mins should come downa bit, and he wont be as heavily relied on.... which hopefully can bring his game back... should be able to shelter him a bit more also. He would also be tough to trade, not sure any teams that hed waive for would need/want him.

Mcginn- just get rid of him

Last edited:

Deuce22

Jun 17, 2013
SoCal & Idaho
7 picks in first 3 rounds
2 1st, 2 2nds, 3 3rds, 1 4th and 1 6th.
Aim at goal scorer/compliment middle 6 wingers and RHD(or 2way dmen)

Decisions to make on RFA
Lindstrom- resign
, baring any rhd trade/sign
Leason - resign, good 4th liner/pk/ can play up in line up
Vaaks- trade/let go, he’s been solid for us but I just think there isn’t room to keep him
Lacombe- resign, plays both sides and still has potential to show more as a 2way guy
Jones - let go, injury prone and doesn’t do enough when he’s on the ice
Groulx - let go, just don’t see nhl player in him
Lundy- Undecided, I like lundy, and want to see a spot for him on the roster, but the top 9 is going to be very crowded and his faceoff/penalty killing isnt good enough for what we need on the 4th line imo.... i think id explore other options and if we cant find anything fall back to lundy

What we need:
- Right handed shot top 6 goal scorer, Stamkos, Necas, Arvidsson and Boeser are the potential obvious options, but sure there are other options that will come out.

-Right handed Dmen, pref 2way leaning towards shut down guy- Roy, Pesce, Savard, Demelo are some names that have been talked about

- 4th line center that can win face offs and penalty kill- Could be Lundy, maybe gaucher is ready at camp(tho i think he needs time in the AHL still), Maybe we reisgn Carrick or henrique for that position. Trade/FA names that ive liked Teddy Blueger(UFA), Ross Colton(via trade).

What we can get rid of(non rfas)
Gibson- Im a bit conflicted on this one, but i dont think hell want to be back up to Dostal... but i do wonder if the team starting to improve doesnt jump start his confidence... if we trade Gibson.... wed essentially be looking for a similar thing that Gibson in theory can provide.... and if were retaining on gibson via trade were basically paying close to the same for the new guy.

Strome- If we do bring in a top 9 forwads, and guys like Gauthier/Colangelo earn spots on the roster, is there even room for a guy like strome on the team anymore... could play him on 4th line and as someone that moves up line up for injuries

Fowler- In different on him, i think Minty/Zell/luneau being potentially ready to pick up more mins means fowlers mins should come downa bit, and he wont be as heavily relied on.... which hopefully can bring his game back... should be able to shelter him a bit more also. He would also be tough to trade, not sure any teams that hed waive for would need/want him.

Mcginn- just get rid of him
I prefer both Colangelo and Leason to Jones. I wouldn't mind a third line of Leason/Colangelo-Lundestrom-Terry. Don't want Terry with Leo or Z. My problem with keeping Fowler is that I doubt that Cronin would actually reduce his minutes.

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
IF we can only sign one big FA, I hope it's a defensive RHD. Leave a middle 6 spot for a kid to fight for. Luneau missed most of the season so let him go to San Diego for the year, if he forces his way on to the roster then you can make a trade later.
Fowler Zellweger
Minty FA
LaCombe Gudas
Vaak or Lindstrom as 7th

Depending on who wins a spot out of younger guys:
Killorn Carlsson Gauthier (worked yesterday)
Lundestrom Mac Terry (Lundy has worked well as a 3rd wheel before in limited time, with Mac/Silf and Rakell/Comtois. Can play PK and help defensively)
Vatrano Zegras Strome (can swap Z for Mac, but if Vatrano can put up 30 again that's a good 3rd line)
Johnston FA Leason (ideally Johnston is upgraded, see if Des is available?)

Or
Killorn Mac Terry
Gauthier Carlsson Colangelo (that could be a big line)
Vatrano Zegras Strome
Johnston/Lundestrom FA/Lundestrom Leason

Replace PP and PK coaches, teach discipline, hope Sudsie is back and that plus (hopefully) improved team is enough to jump start Gibby and Dostal continues to improve. May not make playoffs, but could be in the hunt past New Years maybe.

GreatBear

Feb 18, 2009
Newport Beach
Replace PP and PK coaches, teach discipline, hope Sudsie is back and that plus (hopefully) improved team is enough to jump start Gibby and Dostal continues to improve. May not make playoffs, but could be in the hunt past New Years maybe.
How about being in the hunt at least past November? These last few years have been sad when we start looking ahead to the draft by December 1

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Cutter - Leo - Top 6 RW
Killorn - Z - Terry
Vatrano - Mac - Strome
McGinn - Lundy - Leason
Johnston

I expect Colangelo to get some time in the AHL next season. But will be the first call up after first injury, oh and there will be injuries.

I prefer to move on from Jones, Groulx, Myers. Silf is retiring.

If all goes well we could have a Top line and two 2nd lines. Imagine landing someone like Reinhart? I know that’s a big reach but you never know. We have the cap.

As per Terry, he has to figure it out but prefer he is not on the top line but still in the Top 6. He has to find some chemistry with Z and they need to find out who is going to carry the play. Unless we are putting Terry with Mac? I dunno.

duxfan1101

Sep 20, 2014
California
I prefer both Colangelo and Leason to Jones. I wouldn't mind a third line of Leason/Colangelo-Lundestrom-Terry. Don't want Terry with Leo or Z. My problem with keeping Fowler is that I doubt that Cronin would actually reduce his minutes.
No more Lundestrom on the 3rd line. Now that we can ice 3 solid offensive lines, there is no room for him (except as an injury replacement). I know people dump on Strome, but he should be on the 3rd line over Lundestrom 100%.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
No more Lundestrom on the 3rd line. Now that we can ice 3 solid offensive lines, there is no room for him (except as an injury replacement). I know people dump on Strome, but he should be on the 3rd line over Lundestrom 100%.
Both should just go to 4th line

Reactions: DuckRogers10

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Do we ever entertain Troy Terry trades(hockey trade not futures)...

Troy Terry for Necas(w/ Extention).
Necas may get a higher contract (id imagine 7.5-8.5 range.
Necas is a bit younger, more physical and more of a volume shooter/compliment than someone that needs the puck on their stick a lot... likely a better fit with guys like zegras/carlsson and mctavish.

If someone like Brady Tkachuk was available.... obviously you easily throw Terry into that package.

Gliff

Tank Commander
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Tennessee
If the Ducks can sign an actual top 6 RW, even a short term one like Marchessault for like 2 years, they should be able to run 3 scoring lines no problem. The McTavish line that dominated earlier in the year would be our 3rd line and feast if they are even close to the level they were to start this year.

Gauthier-Carlsson-Terry
Killorn-Zegras-RW
Vatrano-McT-Strome
Regenda-Carrick-Leason
Johnston

robbieboy3686

Jan 17, 2016

Necas is a bit younger, more physical and more of a volume shooter/compliment than someone that needs the puck on their stick a lot... likely a better fit with guys like zegras/carlsson and mctavish.

If someone like Brady Tkachuk was available.... obviously you easily throw Terry into that package.
Absolutely entertain Terry trades. Our Gm wants bigger meaner players. I would trade Terry for necas in a heart beat, agree we throw Terry++ for tkachuk

Gliff

Tank Commander
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Tennessee

I'm not against trading Terry if it is in a package for a better player. No interest in trading him otherwise. We need good "vets" in the same age Terry is. Not more picks/prospects.

Obviously Tkachuk would be ideal but that likely isn't happening. I don't see the appeal of Necas. He had similar production to Terry and we all saw how bad Terry was.

Reactions: gilfaizon

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
I'm not against trading Terry if it is in a package for a better player. No interest in trading him otherwise. We need good "vets" in the same age Terry is. Not more picks/prospects.

Obviously Tkachuk would be ideal but that likely isn't happening. I don't see the appeal of Necas. He had similar production to Terry and we all saw how bad Terry was.
I think the necas idea is based more on fit/compliment ... change of scenery move for both guys

Necas is a little more physical... more of a volume shooter and a player that knows how to compliment his play makers, where Terry doesnt seem to know how to do that

Reactions: robbieboy3686

Arthuros

Registered Snoozer
Feb 24, 2014
Littleroot Town
If the Ducks can sign an actual top 6 RW, even a short term one like Marchessault for like 2 years, they should be able to run 3 scoring lines no problem. The McTavish line that dominated earlier in the year would be our 3rd line and feast if they are even close to the level they were to start this year.

Gauthier-Carlsson-Terry
Killorn-Zegras-RW
Vatrano-McT-Strome
Regenda-Carrick-Leason
Johnston
Are we getting Carrick back?

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
If pro scouts have done their homework on Terry this year we'd need a fairly substantial add to trade him for an upgrade.

We need Terry to figure things out. He still put up good production numbers, but they were bunched, very up and down this season for him. In the final 20 games, Killorn was outproducing him. That top line looked immediately more dangerous and had more chances last night even with a rookie in his 1st NHL game ever. Where as the 3rd line kept getting pinned in their own zone.

I still think Terry is a Top 6 player, there is no question, I just don’t know how he will mesh with our future 1C. Unless he changes his approach like he did while playing with Getz.

Reactions: Yemeth

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
We need Terry to figure things out. He still put up good production numbers, but they were bunched, very up and down this season for him. In the final 20 games, Killorn was outproducing him. That top line looked immediately more dangerous and had more chances last night even with a rookie in his 1st NHL game ever. Where as the 3rd line kept getting pinned in their own zone.

I still think Terry is a Top 6 player, there is no question, I just don’t know how he will mesh with our future 1C. Unless he changes his approach like he did while playing with Getz.
That's the frustrating thing. He's a fairly productive player and he's shown he can play the game the right way when he's not trying to stunt on every defense he goes up against. What kills me is he's tried and failed to dangle through multiple guys so many times and so many times it's killed our offense. Why Terry hasn't taken a hint and made adjustments (and seems to think if he keeps trying he'll be the dangle god he clearly wants to be) and why Cronin isn't bringing the hammer down on this kind of selfish and counterproductive play.

It needs to stop. I can't remember the last time, if ever, the Ducks have had a guy making so much money with so much potential to produce well where I look at projected lines and any line he's on it feels like he's a drag on that line.

Like the only way his style of play works is with two linemates with big bodies who are pass first and pass quickly types who are ready to retrieve rebounds or missed shots at all times and I don't know that we have anyone on this team that fits that bill and I don't think Terry is talented enough to force anyone to play that way. If Terry was a bona fide elite talent I might have a different opinion, but he's not.

Reactions: Yemeth

Trojans86

Dec 30, 2015
I’d consider throwing Terry onto a defensive 3rd line with grinder types and have that line strong defensively that can occasionally chip in goals from Terry. Then concentrate more talent in the top 2 lines.

Cutter Leo Killorn
Zegras MacT Vatrano (off wing)
Terry (off wing) Gaucher Colangelo

Not ideal with guys playing on the off wing but doable. I’m pretty confident the top two lines would score a ton and 3rd line should be pretty tough to play against with some scoring capability.

Reactions: Rasp

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Someone brought this idea up: Will Vatrano get an extension this summer?

Sure, he's a defensive sieve, but his offense has come to life in Anaheim. He's set new career highs in points for the past two seasons and broke to 37 goals this year.

Also, there isn't a high-end LW scoring prosepct in the AHL right now.

DaGeneral

Apr 15, 2012

Sure, he's a defensive sieve, but his offense has come to life in Anaheim. He's set new career highs in points for the past two seasons and broke to 37 goals this year.

I’d try hard to resign if I’m Verbeek. But what’s he worth? I’d pay him Silf money, for sure. If not, move him this offseason so we don’t have any weird sell or buy at the deadline scenario.

ScarTroy

Sponsor
May 24, 2012
Corona, CA

I think as long as the contract ends around the same time as Gudas and Killorn, I’d keep him around. His defensive warts will become less apparent when our youngsters get better, because we should in theory not be chasing the puck all game leading to bad penalties.

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
I think as long as the contract ends around the same time as Gudas and Killorn, I’d keep him around. His defensive warts will become less apparent when our youngsters get better, because we should in theory not be chasing the puck all game leading to bad penalties.
Don’t think he’ll take a 3 year deal. Probably would be looking for 5-7 on the open market

Reactions: Kalv and Ducks DVM

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad