Boston Bruins 2024-25 Roster and Salary Cap Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Absurdity

light switch connoisseur
Jul 6, 2012
Goalie tandem and defense seems pretty set for next season with Ullmark most likely getting traded. I think the Bruins should target a Dillon-type of LD to move Wotherspoon down to 7D. Bussi backs up Swayman.

The 4th line is pretty self-explanatory. I think Beecher will be on the 4th line. Lauko will be on the 4th line or 13th forward. It would be nice if the Bruins could add some muscle to that 4th line that can skate. I'm not sure where Heinen fits, and he may get another contract elsewhere with the decent season he had. I'm not sure what kind of RFA Boqvist is. Kuntar could potentially be an option to make the jump too.

Marchand and Coyle will make up 2/6 of the middle 6 next season. I think the Bruins should re-sign DeBrusk and have him LW next to either Merkulov or Poitras. It may be good to have Poitras start the year in Providence, and I can see DeBrusk's and Merkulov's games meshing really well. That leaves two spots in the middle 6 for Frederic/Lysell/Geekie/Brazeau with the latter two being options for the 4th line.

Pastrnak needs someone on his line that can distribute the puck. Easiest solution for the first line would be to sign Bertuzzi as he had success on a line with Zacha and Pastrnak. What do the Bruins do with Zacha? If he is seen more as a winger, the Bruins need to find that center that can carry the puck through the neutral and offensive zones.

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
Since when is Marchand no longer a top six forward? Dude had 67 pts in the regular season two seasons in a row, 10 pts in 11 playoff games this year, and 10 pts in 7 playoff games last year.

I would agree that he’s no longer a top-line player, but the notion that he’s some washed up 3rd liner is ridiculous.

Still a top 6 forward but just naturally with his age the bruins need to find his successor soon and probably push him down a peg.

Reactions: GloveSave1

RiverbottomChuck

Jul 20, 2018
Washington DC
I jokingly said this the other day, but I actually sort of like it.

Ullmark to Toronto for Tavares through Chicago, Boqvist to Chicago. Double retention on Tavares. Of course both guys have to waive, so probably about zero chance.
Please no, he’s a fraud and spreads his loser mentality to everyone he touches.

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
Im a big #74 guy but Heinen at $2M is still a bargain.

You believe in FT if u think you're getting Kempe for that.
You should read what I, wrote never mentioned what I was giving up, I was replying to a previous poster that had the bruins obtaining Kempe, and you are probably right, I don't think you get him for package.

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
Unfortunatey they need both a top 6 winger and a top line center in my mind.
Yeah for sure.

You should read what I, wrote never mentioned what I was giving up, I was replying to a previous poster that had the bruins obtaining Kempe, and you are probably right, I don't think you get him for package.
I read what you wrote. You saiid Kempe interesting addition. Like u accepted it.
Only response s\b never happening.

Reactions: DominicT

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
Im a big #74 guy but Heinen at $2M is still a bargain.
Depends on the situation.

If someone offered me a Bugatti for $300k. It would be a bargain, but, first, I couldn’t afford it and second, I have other needs.

For a team where it is universally understood that they lack scoring and toughness, is that “bargain” really worth having, when he brings neither to the level that is needed.

He’s just a guy who plays hockey adequately in the RS, (provided he’s given very talented linemates and a coach who doesn’t say mean things) and provides below average production in the playoffs. The league is littered with guys who can do what he does. For me, I’d just rather someone else do it.

With that, I’m going to bow out of Heinen talk for a bit, as I don’t want to add to my already shaky reputation among some because of my strong feelings on him and there are too many people here who I like and respect who are fans of his.

Once we see what the team looks like over the summer, I’ll delve back in.

(Also, I reserve the right to go back at it if some posts something insulting or really dumb about my thoughts on him.)

😂😉😂😉

Reactions: SPV

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
When I read some of these posts. I am convinced we need a dislike tab.
This is a general statement for the site
More pressing, we need a “care” emoji.
I’m tired of “liking” when someone posts some sad news.

But then again, I’m a big softy!

Reactions: Dreghorn2 and bme44

ranold26

Tuukka likes the post...
May 28, 2003
Zacha - UFA/TRADE - Pastrnak
Marchand - Poitras - Geekie
Lauko - Coyle - Brazeau
Boqvist - Beecher - Frederic

Lindholm - McAvoy
Lohrei - Carlo
Wotherspoon - Peeke

Swayman
Bussi

Obviously Ullmark moves in a trade, god only knows what Sweeney will get in return. It should be decent. Clearing cap room to give Swayman his payday.
Bruins are in solid cap shape. 1C via free agency is extremely weak, other than Stamkos... so a trade might be needed.
I doubt anyone on Providence pushes in or up the above lineup.
Either way SweeNeely have flexibility and can try to get something done.

SPV

Zoinks!
Sponsor
Feb 4, 2003
New Hampshire
hfboards.com
Goalie tandem and defense seems pretty set for next season with Ullmark most likely getting traded. I think the Bruins should target a Dillon-type of LD to move Wotherspoon down to 7D. Bussi backs up Swayman.

The 4th line is pretty self-explanatory. I think Beecher will be on the 4th line. Lauko will be on the 4th line or 13th forward. It would be nice if the Bruins could add some muscle to that 4th line that can skate. I'm not sure where Heinen fits, and he may get another contract elsewhere with the decent season he had. I'm not sure what kind of RFA Boqvist is. Kuntar could potentially be an option to make the jump too.

Marchand and Coyle will make up 2/6 of the middle 6 next season. I think the Bruins should re-sign DeBrusk and have him LW next to either Merkulov or Poitras. It may be good to have Poitras start the year in Providence, and I can see DeBrusk's and Merkulov's games meshing really well. That leaves two spots in the middle 6 for Frederic/Lysell/Geekie/Brazeau with the latter two being options for the 4th line.

Pastrnak needs someone on his line that can distribute the puck. Easiest solution for the first line would be to sign Bertuzzi as he had success on a line with Zacha and Pastrnak. What do the Bruins do with Zacha? If he is seen more as a winger, the Bruins need to find that center that can carry the puck through the neutral and offensive zones.
I think Bertuzzi or Stephenson make the most sense for Boston. Which one would depend on if you want to keep Zacha at center or left wing. And I am in the small minority of people that think we should bring back Maroon, I think he’s slow, but I think that was exaggerated in his stint with us because of his recovery, an offseason will probably be good for him.
But I agree with you on defense and goaltending.

GloveSave1

*** 15 ***
Jun 11, 2003
N.Windham, CT

There are a number of guys like Heinen, I’d like to keep. But I think they’ve earned a bit more money, and with the kids and cap, there’s not enough reason to bring them back.

I would also let DeBrusk walk. I’m a fan, but I think it’s time. We gotta pay a star center and I’d rather someone a little more consistent be brought in, like Duclair in DeBrusk’s spot.

I think the defense is almost set. I’d like a guy with a bit of snarl and winning experience brought in, so I like the idea of someone like Edmondson, who would actually be a wash with the Gryz money we’re saving.

Anyway, next year we need to get top heavy and play the kids.

Duclair-Draisaitl-Pasta
Marchand-Coyle-Frederic
Geekie-Poitras-Zacha
Brazeau-Beecher-Liam O’Brien
Lauko

McAvoy/Lindholm
Carlo/Edmondson
Peeke/Lohrei
Wotherspoon

Swayman
Bussi

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Bruins need to address their transition game and the PP.

You look at the Panthers PP. So hard to defend. The Bruins PP is easy. Just overload on Pasta. Pasta only scoring like 2 PP goals on 40+ games is insane. They really miss having a real bumper. That’s the biggest issue. Would also give Lorhei the keys the PP1.

The transition game is probably more about the forward group than the D. They don’t have centers who can win the matchups against the guys they are slotted against. Nothing crazy here.

They also seriously lack guys on the wing that can go blue line to blue line. The traps of Toronto and Florida were impossible for this slow forward group to get through.

It gave a team like Florida license to pin their ears back. Like an NFL D on 3rd and long. The Bruins did get a few breakaways, but when you have Geekie/Zacha, Heinen, Brazeau, JVR, Maroon, 36 year old Marchand taking up 6 of your 8 winger spots…it’s not enough to change the strategy. And you end up with fingers being pointed at the D, when really they are like a QB with no o-line and shit options for an outlet.

You can solve multiple problems in one shot with Lindholm. He is very good at the bumper (while shooting with the right stick to fit) and skilled enough to play with Pasta and can matchup against other top line. Also good on draws as a bonus. A Bergeron-lite.

But it’s going to cost you. More than the numbers folks are throwing around on HFBoards. Lindholm is better than Horvat and he went for 8.5 AAV. And we are out of the flat cap now. And Lindholm is probably the worst age to sign as a UFA. Young enough that you have to give him 7 and old enough that you know the tail end of the contract won’t be great.

But f*** it is a perfect fit in the short term. Let’s play it out.

Top six: Lindholm, Pastrnak
Marchand, Zacha, ???, ???

Third line: Frederic Coyle ???

Geekie, Lysell, Merkulov and Poitras are internal options for those three spots. Also bringing back DeBrusk. But you need two of those three guys filling in the ??? to be guys that can help the transition game. Lysell, if he is ready, is clearly an answer for that role. Assuming you aren’t trying to upgrade the D and you have dealt Ullmark for futures, you have about 10 million to spend on those three spots. Meaning just north of 8 if you hand two jobs to a kid with Geekie on the 4th line as a backup.

That’s plenty for DeBrusk, and leaves you some money to push Wotherspoon to the 9th floor. But not enough for one of the clear upgrades over DeBrusk.

Reactions: DaBroons

FrankerC

Jun 24, 2016
Lewiston, Maine
One trade I'm glad we never did was Tomas Hertl. How terrible was he for the Knights. 1g in 7gp and a -6. I like the idea of Lindholm, but maybe a bridge deal. He had a down year in a contract year and wouldn't be worth a large dollar amount.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
I like Pesce out of Carolina for D. Plays 20 min a night, is 6’3 206. Only blip is that he’s a right shot. He’s got a broken ankle right now so his cost would be reasonable enough to kick the tires on if the B’s are looking to add some decent depth on the back end.

dafoomie

Jul 22, 2005
Boston
I think Poitras starts the season in Providence and honestly, I hope he does bc his game will be better for it.
He needs it. They have no shortage of centers who can't produce enough to be in the top 6, but can't play defense or win faceoffs either. With the injury I doubt that there will be much improvement there right away.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
He needs it. They have no shortage of centers who can't produce enough to be in the top 6, but can't play defense or win faceoffs either. With the injury I doubt that there will be much improvement there right away.
Only improvement I expect to see from him is that he’s gotten stronger on his skates and put some size on. Outside of that and of course the experience, my expectations are low for him bc that is not an easy surgery to come back from.

Bruinfanatic

Apr 22, 2016
Ontario
I think Poitras starts the season in Providence and honestly, I hope he does bc his game will be better for it.
He needs to bulk up upper body strength lower body strength be much stronger on his skates ,he terrified me every time he was on the ice the way he got rag dolled so often ,and it was the same thing when he went to play for the juniors,maybe Brad can help him with being stronger on his skates ,although since his hip surgery he hasn’t been as strong.

Reactions: KillerMillerTime

dafoomie

Jul 22, 2005
Boston
Only improvement I expect to see from him is that he’s gotten stronger on his skates and put some size on. Outside of that and of course the experience, my expectations are low for him bc that is not an easy surgery to come back from.
That surgery is no joke. 6 months before you can even work out with no restrictions.

Reactions: Alicat

Bruinfanatic

Apr 22, 2016
Ontario
Zacha - UFA/TRADE - Pastrnak
Marchand - Poitras - Geekie
Lauko - Coyle - Brazeau
Boqvist - Beecher - Frederic

Lindholm - McAvoy
Lohrei - Carlo
Wotherspoon - Peeke

Swayman
Bussi

Obviously Ullmark moves in a trade, god only knows what Sweeney will get in return. It should be decent. Clearing cap room to give Swayman his payday.
Bruins are in solid cap shape. 1C via free agency is extremely weak, other than Stamkos... so a trade might be needed.
I doubt anyone on Providence pushes in or up the above lineup.
Either way SweeNeely have flexibility and can try to get something done.
If they move Ullmark they have $27 million in cap space ,you added one guy to the lineup,man who is he that he’s getting $27 million. Lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad