Boston Bruins 2024-25 Roster and Salary Cap Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sevendust

Jan 11, 2010
Munich, Germany
Stay away from giving DeBrusk a stupid contract. Yes he was one of the few who showed up in playoffs but he still is a headcase for years. Time to move on and use the cap space on real gamebreaking talent. If they extend him they will regret very soon into the next regular season.

They don't have that much of cap space to work with, it's a little myth because it's more than in the last seasons. Extending Swayman and DeBrusk to the contracts they would probably get, would put more than half of the free cap space into both players. They have to use cap space wisely. Extend Sway and don't waste the rest of the cap on stupid contracts for depth players.

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household
How can anyone not want Debrusk back? He went balls to the walls and was blocking everything and made the first goal.

Some people are just pathetic losers I guess some truly awful posts tonight.
I don’t want him back either. Nothing to do with his playoffs. For the most part, he was excellent. No complaints.

But I can’t begin to describe how tired I am of the f***ing debate. Is he good? Does he suck? Does he want to be here? $8M/yr? $5M/yr? First liner? Third liner? But he’s good on the PK! We need him to step up. But he’s had a good couple of weeks! But he stinks in the regular season. But he’s great in the playoffs! But is he? Sometimes yeah.

Enough already. We need a change. I like DeBrusk, I wish him the best. I bet he shines wherever he goes. But please let this be the end.

Coach Parker

Stanley Cup Champion
Jun 22, 2008
Vancouver, B.C.
I don’t want him back either. Nothing to do with his playoffs. For the most part, he was excellent. No complaints.

But I can’t begin to describe how tired I am of the f***ing debate. Is he good? Does he suck? Does he want to be here? $8M/yr? $5M/yr? First liner? Third liner? But he’s good on the PK! We need him to step up. But he’s had a good couple of weeks! But he stinks in the regular season. But he’s great in the playoffs! But is he? Sometimes yeah.

Enough already. We need a change. I like DeBrusk, I wish him the best. I bet he shines wherever he goes. But please let this be the end.

I'd like to take a step back until an actual 1st line C is brought in. People forget that the last two years Bergeron was a 2nd line C and Krejci was a 3rd line and RETIRED. Sweeney decided not to look to fix the hole and I'll check back in when he decides to.

Mr. Make-Believe

This offseason? SPEED. FORECHECK. AGGRESSION.

The Bruins need to get back to dictating pace and forcing other clubs to beat us at our own game. Defensively I think we can lock it down (although I’d like one ass-kicker out there just to crush people). But offensively they just couldn’t find a rhythm all season.

Find it. You have the cap space and there are players available. Get it done.

Mr. Make-Believe

I'd like to take a step back until an actual 1st line C is brought in. People forget that the last two years Bergeron was a 2nd line C and Krejci was a 3rd line and RETIRED. Sweeney decided not to look to fix the hole and I'll check back in when he decides to.
That #1C? It isn’t happening. Unless a name comes out of nowhere and (somehow) Sweeney pulls off the impossible.

I’d work on the team identity first and foremost and strike when the right C becomes available. But get your house in order first. That’s attainable.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby

That cold stretch where everybody bagged on him he apparently had a broken hand

Checks out!

Mr. Make-Believe

That cold stretch where everybody bagged on him he apparently had a broken hand

Checks out!
That cold stretch that he sustained the entire season? Doesn’t check out to me.

Can’t fault his effort especially how much he rounded out his all-around game. And personally? I dig the guy.

I just think it’s time. Fresh start for both sides.

Reactions: CDJ and Zillah

Mione134

Queen in the North
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2010
Hogwarts-617
That cold stretch that he sustained the entire season? Doesn’t check out to me.

Can’t fault his effort especially how much he rounded out his all-around game. And personally? I dig the guy.

I just think it’s time. Fresh start for both sides.
Ill take a cold streak in the regular season and a guy who comes alive in the playoffs

Then vice versa.

Reactions: dangermike

Coach Parker

Stanley Cup Champion
Jun 22, 2008
Vancouver, B.C.
That #1C? It isn’t happening. Unless a name comes out of nowhere and (somehow) Sweeney pulls off the impossible.

I’d work on the team identity first and foremost and strike when the right C becomes available. But get your house in order first. That’s attainable.

Again, yet another reason to take a step back and watch when they decide to actually get a 1st line C.

Midship

Jan 7, 2016
f*** it, let's retain Ullmark, sign Swayman plus a third top tier goalie, carry three active goalies on the roster and have a TRIPLE goalie hug after every win. Man, would that be awesome.

JoeIsAStud

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I would have actually traded Swayman last offseason or at the trade deadline. Overpaying for a goalie is the last thing we need.

Without Swayman the Bruins would have been out of the playoffs 2+ weeks ago.

And since you don't want to overpay for a goalie, i guess you let Ullmark walk after next year, and in 2025 we star the season with Bussi and DiPietro ?

Mione134

Queen in the North
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2010
Hogwarts-617
Oh me too! 100%

Too bad DeBrusk’s career playoff numbers are almost a direct mirror of his regular season stats. Otherwise that would be a great argument for keeping him around.
Currently 3rd most playoff goals and 10th most points for all LWs since he broke into the league

I think he's worth keeping around

BernieMcAvoy

Feb 18, 2020
DeBrusk just depends on the money. When he's good, he's real good but the inconsistency drives you crazy. Has the same amount of even strength points in the last three playoffs as the guy taking up 11.25 of the cap every season.

Reactions: KillerMillerTime

UConn126

Bass Player.
Sponsor
Jun 12, 2010
Somerville, MA
Currently 3rd most playoff goals and 10th most points for all LWs since he broke into the league

I see him at 11th in playoff points for left wingers in time frame, and he's played 10+ games more than everyone ahead of him short of Marchand and Palat. Points per game, min 20 games played, he ranks 26th.

Mr. Make-Believe

Well color me flabbergasted that you want to keep Jake DeBrusk around. :laugh: Never would have thought you, DeBrusk’s biggest fan on these boards, would be arguing for keeping him around.

Where does DeBrusk rank in points per game for forwards over that time? If we’re going to debate honestly about it.

EDIT: I want to clarify - I don’t write this with mean spirit. I appreciate your opinion of DeBrusk and I know I’ve had my share of similar opinions in the past. One could argue Montgomery is my latest.

I just think the arguments you state here are flimsy. That’s all. I don’t begrudge your bias though in making them. I get it.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Mione134
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad