Boston Bruins 2024-25 Roster and Salary Cap Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB
Blue line looks decent right now but could stand to add a piece.

Lohrei-McAvoy
Lindhom-Carlo
Wotherspoon-Peeke
???

I've warmed up to letting DeBrusk walk. He's solid, good PKer, but just doesn't bring it to the level we know he can consistently enough to warrant giving a big deal to. I also feel no need to rush getting a center. I don't want to go out and get one just to get one, I'd like the team to take the time to find the right guy. Maybe there's a middle six guy you can get for a decent deal so we can move Zacha back to wing. I just don't want to see a huge deal given to someone like Lindholm who may have another good season or two in him before his contract becomes an anchor.

Swayman extension is definitely priority #1. Ullmark is now the clear #2, which hopefully makes him more open to a trade.
I agree about your centre comments.I could wait another season and take a run at Draisaitl.I am sure getting out from under McDavids shadow is appealing to him .Heck just tank for McKenna lol

BradMarchandismydad

Nov 22, 2016
Boston
I can live with Debrusk because he's 27 and he's their player. Free agency this summer is a pile of mediocrity I'd just rather the Bruins save their money for when a real impactful forward in his prime becomes available.

That being said, I'd be almost shocked if Elias Lindholm isn't a Bruin next year. I think they will pursue him very hard.

I’m not really sold on Lindholm—I think you’re right that we will pursue him hard.

I just really really hope it’s not anywhere close to the AAV he wants (9M) that would be a disaster for someone who produces like he does lately.

JoeIsAStud

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Its tough to get a good #1C.

I'm willing to wait until PO are over regarding #18 but if he plays like this against Fla
Iasily.

It is but Zacha has been a complete dud in the playoffs his whole career and Coyle isn’t doing well combined with his contact up soon.

They desperately need to find something at the position

Zacha was very good last year against Florida, and I sure as anything won't hold his NJ record against him. Let's see how he does in this next series.

Well ideally they trade Ullmark for the keumper package of a 1st/3rd/mid prospect.

What Zacha, 1st, 3rd and a mid prospect as far as a #1 center?

You probably get someone just marginally better than Zacha. Maybe take your chance on PLD :help:

Teams don't trade potential #1 centers for a hodgepodge of stuff, unless they have issues with the player

Actually I guess best case scenario is. Drai tells Edmonton he absolutely won't resign there, Maybe that, plus another #1, and a Lysell, gets you into the Drai market

Reactions: Gordoff and CDJ

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
I’m not really sold on Lindholm—I think you’re right that we will pursue him hard.

I just really really hope it’s not anywhere close to the AAV he wants (9M) that would be a disaster for someone who produces like he does lately.
Truthfully I think you are both right about Lindholm, but I must add potential for disaster.......

Reactions: Roll 4 Lines

BradMarchandismydad

Nov 22, 2016
Boston
I know I’ll get yelled at but I still want Trevor Zegras.

His current market evaluation is tanked but he’s still got the skill set and vision to be great. I really do think he’s a fantastic playmaker, which is what we need IMO.

I think we can get him at a greatly reduced price and get someone who can truly be elite. It’s high risk, I get that, but I can’t help but be excited thinking of him in between two high end wingers in Zacha/Pasta or Marchy/Debrusk

Reactions: dangermike and CDJ

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
15 team list.

Well it cuts the NHL pool in half so very unlikely you're getting a young #1C involving Ullmark. Again better chance of trading Zacha and Poitras for Sillinger or Beniers.
Not advocating either just the probability.

His current market evaluation is tanked but he’s still got the skill set and vision to be great. I really do think he’s a fantastic playmaker, which is what we need IMO.

I think we can get him at a greatly reduced price and get someone who can truly be elite. It’s high risk, I get that, but I can’t help but be excited thinking of him in between two high end wingers in Zacha/Pasta or Marchy/Debrusk

Always the possibility of Middleton 2.0 I guess.

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB
Well it cuts the NHL pool in half so very unlikely you're getting a young #1C involving Ullmark. Again better chance of trading Zacha and Poitras for Sillinger and Beniers.
Not advocating either just the probability.
If Edmonton somehow goes out vs Canucks it might get interesting with Draisaitl only locked up 1 more season.Not saying Ullmark could fetch him without a huge add to it, but Skinner needs a big series to convince them he can get job done.Beating Kings don't mean much I imagine.Skinner a .910 save % vs them

Reactions: Gordoff

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
Well I doubt you are getting that talent in a trade. Probably less than 5% chance, so
it leaves you with FA and Rienhart

Ullmark still has a NTC right? Most teams with good young centers aren't very good or probably are on his NT list.

I don’t think you are understanding why I’m saying. Ullmark doesn’t have to go to the team with the young center.

Completely hypothetical

Ullmark to the kings for 1st/3rd/prospect

Then Zacha + 1st/3rd/prospect(Ullmark package) to any team with a #1 center

Reactions: Roll 4 Lines

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
I don’t think you are understanding why I’m saying. Ullmark doesn’t have to go to the team with the young center.

Completely hypothetical

Ullmark to the kings for 1st/3rd/prospect

Then Zacha + 1st/3rd/prospect(Ullmark package) to any team with a #1 center

I can't ever see getting a guy like Sillinger or Beniers for Zacha plus that.

Reactions: wintersej

HustleB

Cautiously Optimistic
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2017
Welcome to the Jungle

You almost have to use Poitras in the deal to get him because we are not rolling with 2 soft centers in the lineup under this teams current management. To be clear I agree with the Bruins desire to go bigger at Center.

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
Zacha was very good last year against Florida, and I sure as anything won't hold his NJ record against him. Let's see how he does in this next series.

Zacha has 0 goals in 14 games with the bruins in the playoffs and 0 goals in 19 games in his playoff career.

He’s actually on the verge of setting a record at the forward position for most playoff minutes without a goal since records started being counted in 1978.

He’s been the epitome of what’s wrong with the bruins the past few years. Good regular season and falls flat on his face in the playoffs.

Last edited:

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005

I think he's cost himself some money with his recent production the past two years. I don't think an AAV in the 9 range is a realistic ask anymore but I'm not him or his agent.

I think he still shoots for the 6-7 year term though, and that is the real issue with him. Clearly peaked two years ago what is he 4-5 years from now?

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
I want to trade ullmark for draft picks. Then package his return with Zacha and see what we can get for a younger #1 center than what’s on the market.

I would prefer that as well. I think accepting draft picks in return opens up more options for making a deal moving out Ullmark. No worrying about money coming back should make a deal easier to cut.

Then like you said package up that pick(s) with other assets for a legitimate upgrade.

JoeIsAStud

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Zacha has 0 goals in 14 games with the bruins in the playoffs and 0 goals in 19 games in his playoff career.

He’s actually on the verge of setting a record at the forward position for most playoff minutes without a goal since records started being counted in 1978.

He’s been the epitome of what’s wrong with the bruins the past few years. Good regular season and falls flat on his face in the playoffs.

He had 6 assists in 7 games last year and played very well

Reactions: gerrycheeversmask

UConn126

Bass Player.
Sponsor
Jun 12, 2010
Somerville, MA
Adding Wotherspoon and Peeke was extraordinary for stabilizing the rotation going forward. They can be a better third pair than Boston has had for a while.

I’ve been beating the drum that adding a top 4 left defensman is essential in the off-season. If Lohrei continues to play llike he did in game 7 it might not be as critical. the Buins defense should be very solid next year.

Lohrei - McAvoy
Lindholm - Carlo
Wotherspoon - Peeke
I still think they could add a LD that bumps Wotherspoon to the 7th spot and they'd have an incredible blueline. But it's more if a luxury move than a necessity.

Reactions: Alan Ryan

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
March Monahan Pasta
Zacha Domi Merk/Lysell
Poitras Coyle Geekie
Beecher Boquist Brazeau

Lohrei McAvoy
Lindholm Carlo
Wotherspoon Peeke

Swayman
Bussi

Ullmark traded for picks
Blow that is one fine line-up...

I will say the bruins are in a very good position to stay competitive.

Going forward the bruins have some great young players in ...
Lohrei, Wotherspoon, Peeke, Brazeau, Boquist, Poitras, Beecher, Geekie

All we can hope is that our skilled prospects take the next step Lysell and Merk

They have some great long term contracts

I keep Ullmark (he's been excellent and his contract helps the bruins improve positions elsewhere / cap favourable). Swayman will garnish some awesomeness and Bussi more than ready to step in.

Monahan just makes sense

I admired Domi's play this playoff. Major factor for leafs. 2 rats better than 1 and would kill leaf fans hoping for his return.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
Biggest priority is signing Swayman to a long term deal. I'm still in the 8yr/$7 million window. If Swayman keeps playing like he is though and this team makes a deep run, that could go up slightly. Assuming a $87.7 million cap ceiling and Swayman signing for $7 million...

Marchand - Zacha - Pastrnak
??? - Coyle - ???
Frederic - Poitras - Geekie
Lauko - Beecher - Brazeau

Lindholm - McAvoy
Lohrei - Carlo
Wotherspoon - Peeke

Swayman
Ullmark

Cap Space: $14.7 million

If you trade Ullmark and take no cap back you're sitting at $19.7 million in cap space.

I'd be fine with that top 4 on the defense. I'd like to find an upgrade on Wotherspoon and let him slide into the #7 role. I still think this team needs help up the middle, specifically in the dot. I know people are down on Elias Lindholm, but for the right price I'd 100% take him on this team.

If a guy like Lysell or Merkulov can make the jump and fill a top 6 role then it gives you more money to play with. Overall it'll be an interesting off-season for the Bruins. I feel like this there is a lot of different things they could do.

8thRoundPick

Sep 19, 2007
Sudbury
Biggest priority is signing Swayman to a long term deal. I'm still in the 8yr/$7 million window. If Swayman keeps playing like he is though and this team makes a deep run, that could go up slightly. Assuming a $87.7 million cap ceiling and Swayman signing for $7 million...

Marchand - Zacha - Pastrnak
??? - Coyle - ???
Frederic - Poitras - Geekie
Lauko - Beecher - Brazeau

Lindholm - McAvoy
Lohrei - Carlo
Wotherspoon - Peeke

Swayman
Ullmark

Cap Space: $14.7 million

If you trade Ullmark and take no cap back you're sitting at $19.7 million in cap space.

I'd be fine with that top 4 on the defense. I'd like to find an upgrade on Wotherspoon and let him slide into the #7 role. I still think this team needs help up the middle, specifically in the dot. I know people are down on Elias Lindholm, but for the right price I'd 100% take him on this team.

If a guy like Lysell or Merkulov can make the jump and fill a top 6 role then it gives you more money to play with. Overall it'll be an interesting off-season for the Bruins. I feel like this there is a lot of different things they could do.
This is pretty good. I don't think a rookie will fill a top 6 winger role though, I'd expect either an FA signing or Geekie / Freddy may bump up to that 2nd line. I prefer the FA route, there are numerous great middle six options this summer to chase. A guy like Stamkos or Reinhart would be a home run, but even quality players like Marchessault would be a great pickup for those spots.

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
Blow that is one fine line-up...

I will say the bruins are in a very good position to stay competitive.

Going forward the bruins have some great young players in ...
Lohrei, Wotherspoon, Peeke, Brazeau, Boquist, Poitras, Beecher, Geekie

All we can hope is that our skilled prospects take the next step Lysell and Merk

They have some great long term contracts

I keep Ullmark (he's been excellent and his contract helps the bruins improve positions elsewhere / cap favourable). Swayman will garnish some awesomeness and Bussi more than ready to step in.

Monahan just makes sense

I admired Domi's play this playoff. Major factor for leafs. 2 rats better than 1 and would kill leaf fans hoping for his return.

Are you responding and complementing yourself? You feeling ok?

This is pretty good. I don't think a rookie will fill a top 6 winger role though, I'd expect either an FA signing or Geekie / Freddy may bump up to that 2nd line. I prefer the FA route, there are numerous great middle six options this summer to chase. A guy like Stamkos or Reinhart would be a home run, but even quality players like Marchessault would be a great pickup for those spots.

Are there real rumblings of Stamkos, Rheinhart or Marchessault leaving?

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
Lots of options and even more if Lysell and or Merkulov are ready. Plus, the emergence of Peake and Wotherspoon might allow them to stand pat on the blue line, which didn’t seem likely 3 months ago.

One thing that intrigues me is the possibility that Tavares is bought out.

Assuming the number is right. Again…..assuming the number is right:

Him on a 2 year deal to bridge to when Poitras might be ready to be a 2C might make sense and regardless of what he’s done in dysfunctional Toronto, he can still play and win draws.

They could also probably still sign Lindholm for 1C.

Zacha Lindholm Pasta
Marchand Tavares Frederic
Poitras Coyle Geekie
Lauko, Merkulov, Beecher Brazeau, Lysell, etc. to pick the 4th line from

Lohrei McAcoy
Lindholm Carlo
Wotherspoon Peake
(Regula)

Swayman, Bussi

Ullmark traded for picks/prospects
Out…JDB, Heinen

Lindholm 6yrs/7million
Tavares 2yrs/4million
Swayman 7yrs/7million
Bussi 2yrs/1.25million
Regula 2yrs/2million

Cap number = a little over 82 million

• Haha
Reactions: pearljamvs5

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut

They may not, maybe its more of a middle 6 and you need a guy like Frederic or Geekie to slot up. I quickly looked over some guys who were going to be UFA/RFA and a few names I thought were interesting:

Christian Fischer - A guy I was hoping we'd add last off-season. Good size right handed winger. Isn't afraid to play a physical game and has some offensive ability. At worst he's a bottom 6 guy, but if he can find his offensive game then he could be more of a middle 6 option

Kaapo Kakko - Pending RFA that just doesn't seem to have a place with the Rags. He saw his TOI drop this season not only in the regular season, but the playoffs as well. While only 22yrs old, he's played 5 seasons and aside from his 40pts last year, he's not lived up to the #2OA pick status. Would the Rags consider moving on?

Teuvo Teravainen - Didn't even realize he was going to be a UFA to be honest. Could be a nice playmaking winger to put on the other side of Pastrnak.

Barrett Hayton - Was injured for most of this year after a 40pt season last year. With the move to Utah, I could see ownership making moves to build up what has been a joke of a franchise for years. Could that leave Hayton in a spot where he has more value to Utah in what he'd return in a trade?

I didn't really look at d-men, but I'd love to get a d-man on the backend that will actually get pucks on net and be a PP General when called on.

kdog82

Oct 6, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
Trade Ullmark for Chychrun

Sign E. Lindholm and Bertuzzi

Debrusk I believe will get overpaid by a team out west.

Bertuzzi-Lindholm-Pastrnak
Marchand-Coyle-Frederic
Zacha-Poitras-Geekie
Merkulov-Beecher-Brazeau
Maroon-Lauko

Chychrun-Mcavoy
Lohrei-Carlo
Lindholm-Peeke
Wotherspoon

UConn126

Bass Player.
Sponsor
Jun 12, 2010
Somerville, MA
Sam Reinhart should be priority #2 behind re-signing Swayman. If he makes it to UFA he could very much help our scoring.

I'd maybe take a look at Chandler Stephenson at C, too. Part of some successful Vegas teams and solid faceoff guy. Hopefully not a huge contract demand.

Trade Ullmark for cap, look to add a depth d man.

Zacha-Stephonson-Pasta
Marchy-Coyle-Reinhart
Freddy-Poitras-Geekie
Lauko-Beecher-Brazeau
Boqvist

Lorhei-McAvoy
Lindholm-Carlo
Wotherspoon-Peeke
???

Swayman
Bussi

shelbysdad

Nov 21, 2006
Red Hook, NY
No middle of the road F's
Go big or go home

We have plenty of options for middle 6, along with Lysell or Merkulov (neither of who are 4th line fits)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad