GDT: 2023 Young Stars Classic in Penticton | Game 3 ★ Jets vs Flames, Monday Sept. 18 @ Noon CDT

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
I know nothing about Chibrikov, but wow does he look good in this game. Tell me all the reasons I shouldn't get excited.

- Small

- Skilled

- Not from a small town in Saskatchewan where he and his 14 brothers tilled a field in January to make an ice rink they played on 23 hours a day with only moth-eaten gear from 1934 and at night their mum held up a flashlight

- Small + skilled + not from around here = soft

- May get injured

- Can't get away with that move / shot / deke in the NHL

- Can he PK?

- Can he play with Lowry?

- Will he even sign here?

- If he signs here, is he really only slow-walking his way to UFA?

- That Chibrikov guy didn't even win the Calder and/or sign long-term and/or be better than some other guy some other team drafted 3-20 spots later; ergo he's all the crap things we knew he would be back in September of 2023 when he was good in one Penticton Young Stars game

Yep, all kinds of things to be unexcited about with Chibby.

But today, be excited.

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
Another post for Chibrikov after a very Ehlers-esque dive in an attempt to draw a penalty :laugh:

bustamente

Kinda Optimistic
Jun 29, 2015
White Out MB
I understand that Lucius is trying to get back up to speed after his injury last year but he has been underwhelming in this tournament.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Great first 40 but seemed to run out of gas in the third.

Both our goalies were great again. Looking forward to following both going forward.

Salmonsson - The kid has all the tools to be an all situation minute munching top pairing dmen. Thought he was very good today. I think he's easily our best skater prospect with a very high ceiling. Needs further refinement and patience but I love what I see from him.

Lundmark is like the DeMelo of the the Moose. He plays a quiet game but he's positionally sound and calms things for his partner.

Chibrikov is a player. I love the energy and how he hounds pucks in all zones. He also is showing a butt load of skill and patience with the puck. Really bullish on this kid, looks like a potential top 6 talent that coaches will love.

Lambert. Another good game. His Forte is pushing the play forward and he was doing that again. The kid has good skill but I question his ability to finish at the pro level. He just doesn't have a pro caliber shot. I think he'll be an NHL player but am unsure where he will slot in.

Lucius - I thought he had a much better first two periods. He was moving his feet and was executing quicker and it lead to some good pressure and looks for his line. One other thing that has me a bit worried is his shot. He used to really be able to rip it, I'm hoping the shoulder surgery didn't permanently hurt one of his best weapons. He likely buries one of the good looks he had the last few games if he was shooting like he can.

Barlow - Kid is a pure triggerman. Great shot with a great relalease. Could have had a couple today. Opens up really well to use it as well. Kid needs more seasoning but loved his play in the bumper spot and can see a future where Perfetti is feeding him on the pp there. I would like to see him work on creating more chances for himself and linemates. If he can add that he could be a very dangerous multifaceted player.

ello

Jun 12, 2018
anyone have point totals for Jets from this tournament? Specifically for our higher rated prospects

AtomicJets

Dec 20, 2014
anyone have point totals for Jets from this tournament? Specifically for our higher rated prospects

I don't have the official boxscores but unofficially....

Salomonsson - 1G 1A
Chibrikov - 1G 1A
Barlow - 1G
Levis - 1G
Julien - 1G
Zhilkin - 1A
Lucius - 1A
Ford - 1A
Lundmark - 1A
Torgersson - 1A
McClennon - 1A
Kniazev - 1A

vs Flames

Goal 1: Salmonsson from Chibrikov
Goal 2: Chibrikov from Ford, Lucius

vs Canucks

Goal 1: Barlow from Torgersson, McClennon
Goal 2: Julien from Salomonsson, Lundmark

Shootout goals from Barlow and Zhilkin

vs Oilers

Goal 1: Levis from Zhilkin, Kniazev

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Quick thoughts... prospect risers and fallers.

Based on that 3-game sample.

Risers

Chibrikov - really dynamic in the last two games, and improved period by period. Dynamic skill and creativity. Played with some jam. He looks like the small 2nd round forward we always hoped Petan would be (much better skater). Definitely looks like he has NHL potential. Based on that tournament, I'd take him over Coronato.

Lambert - Meh first game, but as the games progressed his speed and puck control started to shine. Was one of the few players that was able to display individual skill. He seems to lack finishing ability, but he's a problem on the rush. Didn't notice issues with effort or defensive focus, and he's a willing passer.

Salomonsson - Overall, the Jets' D was a gong show. Good luck to Morrison and the Moose this season. But Salomonsson was notably solid in his defensive play and puck movement. A goal and an assist and some confidence on the point were nice to see.

Zhilkin - Really hard to know where he ends up in his pro career, but he showed very good skating, good puck control, solid decisions, and defensive responsibility. Seems to have a pro game that will translate into a bottom-6 C.

Fallers

Kuzmin - I'd hoped he would show more. He has some nice skills, but his defense and puck decisions make him a long way from an NHL caliber.

Lundmark - Atrocious in games 1 and 2, with terrible decisions.

Kniazev - What a great skater, with a lot of dash and confidence. The problem is that he gives the puck away too much and gets caught on high risk pinches too much. His skill is obvious, and maybe he'll settle down outside a prospect tournament. But he was all chaos, and often in a bad way.

Lucius - It's harsh to include him here, considering his injuries and rehab. You can see the hands and creative thinking, but he doesn't have the pace to execute at this point. I guess I hoped he would be further along, but that was optimistic. He still shows potential because of his hockey sense, but he needs a long, healthy run to get up to speed and make plays vs. pro players.

Steady

Torgersson - I have reasonable optimism for Torgersson, and I don't think he disappointed. Nothing special, but certainly more involved and lots more puck touches. Could be a bottom 6 forward someday with that speed and size.

Barlow - Nothing too special, but you could see the smarts and the hands and the scoring penchant in several of his shifts. I have a high regard for him, and though he wasn't special he wasn't a disappointment.

I haven't commented on most of the others because I don't have high hopes. Ford had some good play. Bauer struggles defensively and in puck movement, but commentators seem to think he's doing a good job clearing the crease after he gives up chances.

Goalies looked good, but who knows?

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Quick thoughts... prospect risers and fallers.

Based on that 3-game sample.

Risers

Chibrikov - really dynamic in the last two games, and improved period by period. Dynamic skill and creativity. Played with some jam. He looks like the small 2nd round forward we always hoped Petan would be (much better skater). Definitely looks like he has NHL potential. Based on that tournament, I'd take him over Coronato.

Lambert - Meh first game, but as the games progressed his speed and puck control started to shine. Was one of the few players that was able to display individual skill. He seems to lack finishing ability, but he's a problem on the rush. Didn't notice issues with effort or defensive focus, and he's a willing passer.

Salomonsson - Overall, the Jets' D was a gong show. Good luck to Morrison and the Moose this season. But Salomonsson was notably solid in his defensive play and puck movement. A goal and an assist and some confidence on the point were nice to see.

Zhilkin - Really hard to know where he ends up in his pro career, but he showed very good skating, good puck control, solid decisions, and defensive responsibility. Seems to have a pro game that will translate into a bottom-6 C.

Fallers

Kuzmin - I'd hoped he would show more. He has some nice skills, but his defense and puck decisions make him a long way from an NHL caliber.

Lundmark - Atrocious in games 1 and 2, with terrible decisions.

Kniazev - What a great skater, with a lot of dash and confidence. The problem is that he gives the puck away too much and gets caught on high risk pinches too much. His skill is obvious, and maybe he'll settle down outside a prospect tournament. But he was all chaos, and often in a bad way.

Lucius - It's harsh to include him here, considering his injuries and rehab. You can see the hands and creative thinking, but he doesn't have the pace to execute at this point. I guess I hoped he would be further along, but that was optimistic. He still shows potential because of his hockey sense, but he needs a long, healthy run to get up to speed and make plays vs. pro players.

Steady

Torgersson - I have reasonable optimism for Torgersson, and I don't think he disappointed. Nothing special, but certainly more involved and lots more puck touches. Could be a bottom 6 forward someday with that speed and size.

Barlow - Nothing too special, but you could see the smarts and the hands and the scoring penchant in several of his shifts. I have a high regard for him, and though he wasn't special he wasn't a disappointment.

I haven't commented on most of the others because I don't have high hopes. Ford had some good play. Bauer struggles defensively and in puck movement, but commentators seem to think he's doing a good job clearing the crease after he gives up chances.

Goalies looked good, but who knows?
Nice analysis. Fully agree on Chibrikov, in my mind he was the standout among the Jets prospects in this tournament (not including goalies). From his draft class, he appears to have passed Lucius at this point, at least in my mind. I can see him getting in a few call up games this season.

bustamente

Kinda Optimistic
Jun 29, 2015
White Out MB
If we can hit with Lambert, McGroarty, Barlow, Chibrikov, and Salomonsson in 2-3 yeas we could have a real solid core for the 5-7 years. Our D prospects other than Salomonsson are weak. Goaltenders Milic and DD could really become something

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
If we can hit with Lambert, McGroarty, Barlow, Chibrikov, and Salomonsson in 2-3 yeas we could have a real solid core for the 5-7 years. Our D prospects other than Salomonsson are weak. Goaltenders Milic and DD could really become something

We need Snerg to cement himself as a second pairing guy and we need Ville to hit as atleast a number 5 that can qb a pp

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad