Prospect Info: 2023 WJC Thread

Devs3cups

Wind of Change
Sponsor
May 8, 2010
Luke rushes a lot, US forwards need to take notice and take his place on the blue line when that's the case. 2-on-1 for Latvia there.

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
Forwards will eventually wear down Latvians but a lot of one-man hockey instead of using teammates and creating advantage.

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
Jeez that was not a pretty period from Luke. 3 or 4 bad plays that could’ve led to goals against and keeps getting caught up ice. A couple decent rushes too.
Seems like him and some of other US players are fighting it a bit. I’d imagine they’ll get better and take over at some point.

Devs3cups

Wind of Change
Sponsor
May 8, 2010
Jeez that was not a pretty period from Luke. 3 or 4 bad plays that could’ve led to goals against and keeps getting caught up ice. A couple decent rushes too.
Seems like him and some of other US players are fighting it a bit. I’d imagine they’ll get better and take over at some point.
I didn't mind their period, but they all seem to be trying to do too much against a noticeably weaker opponent. They looked way better (Luke included) against Sweden in pre-tournament play.

Reactions: Captain3rdLine

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Yeah he had a good rush and with better luck wouldve had a scoring chance. Instead it ended up being a turnover. Shit happens. He's one of the few players in this team that has some sort of X-factor in him.

Not that we lost because of that, but its just weird to not play your most highly touted player anymore than that against Switzerland of all teams. This is not semifinal against CAN, its the first game of the preliminary round. Its kinda hilarious, really. You need your top players going.
#37 Kemmell played at total of 14:04.
1st: 2:43 2nd: 4:20 3rd: 6:21 OT:0:40

Turning to him in “break glass in case of need of goals” on makeshift lines or hope for something on PP (is he on the PP?) doesn’t seem like the best way to get something out of him.

I didn’t see the game but…

It says he was on the ice for the 1st Swiss goal against with 3 Forwards: #15 Hameenaho (TOI 6:47) and #18 Miettinen (TOI 14:15), #29 Huuhtanen (TOI 15:04)
and one Defensemen: #21 Heimosalmi (20:31)

I feel like I’m reading it wrong in some dumb way lol

How did that happen?
9CE600F7-F2E6-439C-A8C0-0A5B879FD5D1.jpeg

4E99DA64-C3D0-4E0D-AB86-8B83B0794294.jpeg

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Honestly every time I watch Luke I just don't see a player ready for any kind and of NHL role. He's going to make Sevs look like a great D zone defender. He has some amazing tools, but he needs more time to develop his defending.

Reactions: Unknown Caller

Unknown Caller

Apr 30, 2009
Can't wait until Luke gets proper supervised NHL coaching
It’s not a coaching thing, it’s just IQ and effort. He can cheat offensively and doesn’t give a shit defensively at times. That play is a very simple read.

I love Luke, but this is the downside to his game. It’s why people expecting him to step into the NHL and be an impact player immediately will be disappointed.

Devs3cups

Wind of Change
Sponsor
May 8, 2010
Honestly every time I watch Luke I just don't see a player ready for any kind and of NHL role. He's going to make Sevs look like a great D zone defender. He has some amazing tools, but he needs more time to develop his defending.
Luke won't improve his defensive game much more in college. Michigan wants what's good for them, which is to let Luke run and gun and play his full offensive game. He needs to turn pro and have special attention put on his D-game. Whether that's in the AHL or NHL remains to be seen, but I'm sure he'll get his look with the big club this year.

Reactions: Blender

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
It’s not a coaching thing, it’s just IQ and effort. He can cheat offensively and doesn’t give a shit defensively at times. That play is a very simple read.

I love Luke, but this is the downside to his game. It’s why people expecting him to step into the NHL and be an impact player immediately will be disappointed.
It absolutely is a coaching thing. It's one of the reasons this tournament is often way more entertaining than the NHL as well, it's full of mistakes and breakdowns that change the flow of games because players have not been rigidly coached into the same mundane systems almost every team runs.

Reactions: Devs3cups

Devs3cups

Wind of Change
Sponsor
May 8, 2010

I don't necessarily agree. Aggressiveness in the neutral zone works for college and especially junior level players, but it can definitely be taught at a higher level. Also, once you get caught what do you do? It's decision making and making the safer play. It can be coached.

I do believe that Luke will be more solid defensively once he turns pro. We do agree he'll probably never be great in that aspect though.

Reactions: Blender

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Luke won't improve his defensive game much more in college. Michigan wants what's good for them, which is to let Luke run and gun and play his full offensive game. He needs to turn pro and have special attention put on his D-game. Whether that's in the AHL or NHL remains to be seen, but I'm sure he'll get his look with the big club this year.

Agree 100%. It just looks like it should be the AHL to me.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad