Post-Game Talk: 2023 WJC Medal Games (Jan. 5th): CAN wins GOLD! CZE Silver, USA Bronze

David Suzuki

Aug 25, 2010
New Brunswick
The irony in TC not allowing him to play, after their disgusting decades of 'actual' sexual misconduct and blind eyes. Like they should be judging anyone for their mistakes

Do you really think they care they just understand the obvious backlash they would receive isn't worth it lol.

Reactions: habdynasty

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Not sending Slafkovsky would be a huge mistake. Top line minutes in the best tournament in the world over playing 4th line minutes would be a huge loss in his development. I’d get it if he was a top 6 player, but at this stage, let him dominate and get some confidence to ride when he’s back for the back half of the season.
Hey young Sheldon, congrats on being in this university calculus class even though you aren't top of class just yet.

Now go back and compete in a high school algebra contest. That will get you ready to dominate the university classroom.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
Hey young Sheldon, congrats on being in this university calculus class even though you aren't top of class just yet.

Now go back and compete in a high school algebra contest. That will get you ready to dominate the university classroom
Terrible analogy. He’s was playing the least amount of minutes a game playing with slugs. Hardly testing his skill set and being out in a position to grow his confidence or help the team to a playoff spot.

So IF he’s still in a situation where he’s playing with Evans and Pezzetta for 10 min a night on a non playoff team, his development would be much better served playing 20+ min a night against the best his age class had to offer in a competitive tournament.

Now if he stays in a top 6 position with good line mates and keeps playing and contributing the way he did against Calgary, they’d be silly to send him to the WJHC. My post was written quite awhile ago when this was not the case, and I even prefaced it by saying if he stayed on the 4th line, they should send him.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Is this the most prospects we’ve ever sent?

It's possible. But when it comes to team Canada, I think the Habs actually had 4 players playing at the same time...

Ryder
Ribeiro
Chouinard
Garon

Julien might have been the HC at the time as well... But I'm not sure about that.

Reactions: Sterling Archer

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Terrible analogy. He’s was playing the least amount of minutes a game playing with slugs. Hardly testing his skill set and being out in a position to grow his confidence or help the team to a playoff spot.

So IF he’s still in a situation where he’s playing with Evans and Pezzetta for 10 min a night on a non playoff team, his development would be much better served playing 20+ min a night against the best his age class had to offer in a competitive tournament.

Now if he stays in a top 6 position with good line mates and keeps playing and contributing the way he did against Calgary, they’d be silly to send him to the WJHC. My post was written quite awhile ago when this was not the case, and I even prefaced it by saying if he stayed on the 4th line, they should send him.

well said! :clap:

Reactions: Sterling Archer

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
I hope they send Slaf

If he's not playing in the nhl, sure.

But I don't know how much he benefits from this tournament. He's so physically advanced than his age group that he actually might allow further bad habits to creep into his game.

I don't want him to be like lindros where he left himself vulnerable because he could get away with it at the junior level.

We have already seen him get clocked a couple times in the nhl.

Matthew McConaughay

May 3, 2013

Then there’s Lane Hutson, who felt more like a longshot candidate to make the team before the season. The Montreal Canadiens prospect has put everything together this season: speed, skill and offensive production with 14 points in 12 games to make him one of the best freshmen in the NCAA. Hutson’s skill was never doubted, given he had one of the highest point outputs ever by a USNTDP defenseman last year, but his 5-foot-8 frame scared many scouts. That plays to Montreal’s benefit, though, and now he’ll showcase his skills at the World Junior Championship.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006

So a few days ago, the decision would have been made by some to send him down, and 3 days later, he is playing like our third best winger.

This is why many of us preach patience.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
So a few days ago, the decision would have been made by some to send him down, and 3 days later, he is playing like our third best winger.

This is why many of us preach patience.
You’re missing the point entirely. It’s not to say he still can’t or shouldn’t go to the WJHC. It’s a question of where his development will be best served. Progression is rarely linear either and there will be setbacks so you need to build up confidence and put him in positions to grow and get better. If that’s not in the NHL at the moment, then send him to the tournament to get more confidence and come back pumped up like so many players do every year after the tournament.

Reactions: Habs13

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
The irony in TC not allowing him to play, after their disgusting decades of 'actual' sexual misconduct and blind eyes. Like they should be judging anyone for their mistakes

They've already lost sponsors. They'd just lose more.

Kidey-Beck-Roy line would make tournament interesting for Hab fans

True.

I'm expecting Lane Hutson will make watching every USA game incredible.

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022

Then there’s Lane Hutson, who felt more like a longshot candidate to make the team before the season. The Montreal Canadiens prospect has put everything together this season: speed, skill and offensive production with 14 points in 12 games to make him one of the best freshmen in the NCAA. Hutson’s skill was never doubted, given he had one of the highest point outputs ever by a USNTDP defenseman last year, but his 5-foot-8 frame scared many scouts. That plays to Montreal’s benefit, though, and now he’ll showcase his skills at the World Junior Championship.
If he makes the team. Don't underestimate how stupid Team USA and Hockey Canada are when selecting players and coaches.

Joe Lamb

Mar 12, 2004
downeast
If this should go in another thread, please feel free to say so.

What is there to do in Halifax in the downtown area?

I'll be on site for the WJC for the holiday season. Other than going to see games at Scotiabank Arena, what should I look forward to?
Museum of the Atlantic, drink, Titanic museum and graves, drink, Citadell Hill, drink, Oak Island, drink, Peggy's Cove, drink.... You get the idea

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
You’re missing the point entirely. It’s not to say he still can’t or shouldn’t go to the WJHC. It’s a question of where his development will be best served. Progression is rarely linear either and there will be setbacks so you need to build up confidence and put him in positions to grow and get better. If that’s not in the NHL at the moment, then send him to the tournament to get more confidence and come back pumped up like so many players do every year after the tournament.
So off base.

As pumped up as Victor Mete was, it did not make him a better hockey player at the NHL level.

Ryan Poehling was the MVP of a WJC, did it make him prepared for NHL stardom?

Cole Caufield was quite ordinary at the WJC. Did not hinder his pro career.

Juraj Slafkovsky is making his adjustments to the NHL and clearly progressing. It is being suggested by some that they should be interrupted so that he or more honestly his fans can "gain confidence".

Are people not watching the Habs games? Juraj is not only playing with confidence, he is arguably the club's third most dangerous winger right now. The adjustments are happening, so NO they should not be paused so that he can compete against other 18 and 19 year olds, and then have to catch up again.

Jeezus Price.

Last edited:

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
So off base.

As pumped up as Victor Mete was, it did not make him a better hockey player at the NHL level.

Juraj Slafkos should be interrupted so that he or more honestly his fans can "gain confidence".

Are people not watching the Habs games? Juraj is jnot only playing with confidence, he is arguably the club's third most dangerous winger right now. The adjustments are happening, so NO they should not be pausedso that he can compete against other 18 and 19 year olds, and then have to catch up again.

Jeezus Price.

Don't forget Bustlexis Lafreniere : hockey canada and TSN legend, probably go on waivers like the other Upper Deck poster boy, Alex Daigle.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
So off base.

Juraj Slafkos should be interrupted so that he or more honestly his fans can "gain confidence".

Are people not watching the Habs games? Juraj is jnot only playing with confidence, he is arguably the club's third most dangerous winger right now. The adjustments are happening, so NO they should not be pausedso that he can compete against other 18 and 19 year olds, and then have to catch up again.

Jeezus Price.
Ahh. We’ve entered the false equivalency stage of the conversation where you cherry pick some names of lower drafted guys who had great tournaments and shitty careers. No mentions of all the high drafted players who did play, dominate and have great careers and boosted play after coming back.

Not only that, but you’re either intentionally ignoring what I had initially posted and then reiterated which is that I said he should go IF he was stuck in the 4th line as it’d be a better option than playing 10 min a night.

Feel free to screech from your soap box, just do it for someone who cares what you have to say, because that’s not me

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad