Blue Jays GDT: 2023 v8 | Tue, Aug 8 | @ CLE | 7:00pm ET/4:00pm PT | Kikuchi vs Bibee

Status
Not open for further replies.

canucksfan

Mar 16, 2002
British Columbia
Visit site
Fujinami comes in for the O's and walks 3 while getting two out. Gets pulled and the Astros score two runs.

O's pen isn't as good as the start of the year and it is relying heavily on Bautista.

Manoah and Syndergaard tomorrow, there has to be more offense one way or another, right?
The bats should score against Syndergaard. He's been very bad this season.

Reactions: Seath The Scaleless

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Fujinami comes in for the O's and walks 3 while getting two out. Gets pulled and the Astros score two runs.

O's pen isn't as good as the start of the year and it is relying heavily on Bautista.

The bats should score against Syndergaard. He's been very bad this season.
Famous last words ;)

canucksfan

Mar 16, 2002
British Columbia
Visit site
Are all baseball fans this miserable these days, or is it just Jays fans? Holy shit.
Reading through the comments you'd think the Jays have lost the first three games!

I think part of the problem is usually the Jays' bats are the best part of the team, not this case this year, and the team has underachieved with RISP.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
Reading through the comments you'd think the Jays have lost the first three games!

I think part of the problem is usually the Jays' bats are the best part of the team, not this case this year, and the team has underachieved with RISP.
Yeah, I do understand the frustration with RISP. But close, low scoring games and a team in a playoff spot built on elite pitching and defense? That's fun baseball.

We've talked about it before, but when the Jays had a great offense (the last couple years, and back to the 2015-16 teams) all people talked about was how pitching and defense wins championships. Now that they've moved in that direction and are arguably the best in the league in both of those categories, they're garbage and don't deserve a playoff spot because the offense has just been average.

I honestly believe a lot of fans just enjoy complaining about the team. For a lot of people, the only right way to win is the opposite of whatever the Jays are doing.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Are all baseball fans this miserable these days, or is it just Jays fans? Holy shit.

Yeah, I do understand the frustration with RISP. But close, low scoring games and a team in a playoff spot built on elite pitching and defense? That's fun baseball.

We've talked about it before, but when the Jays had a great offense (the last couple years, and back to the 2015-16 teams) all people talked about was how pitching and defense wins championships. Now that they've moved in that direction and are arguably the best in the league in both of those categories, they're garbage and don't deserve a playoff spot because the offense has just been average.

I honestly believe a lot of fans just enjoy complaining about the team. For a lot of people, the only right way to win is the opposite of whatever the Jays are doing.

It’s absolutely bizarre.

The team just won their 5th out of 6 games, are 14 games over .500, comfortably in the playoffs, 7th best record in baseball. Best pitching in baseball. But almost every win is just like tonight with people pissing and moaning - and legitimately furious - through the whole thing. You’d think we were 20 games below .500 and getting blown out.

I get that the RISP stuff is frustrating but there isn’t very much rational big picture thinking happening.

Oct 15, 2014
The Duke's Archives

Their bullpen has still been near the top since the all-star break and they haven't thrown too many innings. But that could change soon given their rotation may not hold up for much longer. Bradish and Rodriguez are solid but they won't go deep into games. Gibson is the only one and he's not that great

They could go on a run by shortening most of the games with their bullpen, but we'll see

mikeyz

Dec 3, 2013
It’s absolutely bizarre.

The team just won their 5th out of 6 games, are 14 games over .500, comfortably in the playoffs, 7th best record in baseball. Best pitching in baseball. But almost every win is just like tonight with people pissing and moaning - and legitimately furious - through the whole thing. You’d think we were 20 games below .500 and getting blown out.

I get that the RISP stuff is frustrating but there isn’t very much rational big picture thinking happening.
I can completely understand the reason why they're pissed off right now. They've scored one run in three games against a bottom feeding teams pitching staff. Imagine what will happen when they play a good team.

canucksfan

Mar 16, 2002
British Columbia
Visit site
I can completely understand the reason why they're pissed off right now. They've scored one run in three games against a bottom feeding teams pitching staff. Imagine what will happen when they play a good team.
They played the Dodgers recently and beat them in a series and easily could have swept them.

No doubt the bats aren't clicking this series. However, first game Williams had elite stuff but they still won. Yesterday, Chapman, Schneider, KK, and Bo weren't in the lineup. Today, they missed a few pitches and didn't capitalize on their chances but still won. Guardians also have excellent pitching. It's their hitting that sucks.

It's sports there are ebbs and flows throughout the season, in particular, baseball. Jays are in a playoff spot and there's still time for the bats to get going. Even if they don't, they have the pitching and defense to go far in the playoffs. Jays are without their best bat in Bo and have replaced him with DeJong who is currently lost at the plate.

Last edited:
Oct 15, 2014
The Duke's Archives

To be fair, Cleveland's starters have done pretty well this year, and their overall numbers aren't too far behind the Jays.

Yes, they're rookies, but very talented.

Reactions: mikeyz

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
It’s absolutely bizarre.

Because we’re 3rd and should be 1st.

Expectations are the thief of joy… but seriously, should be 1st lol.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC

I mean, this kind of proves my point.

Cleveland has the 3rd best ERA in MLB. They have great pitching.

We’ve won 2 of 3. We’ve also won against lots of good teams.

Reactions: Forgotusername

mikeyz

Dec 3, 2013
If you've been watching any of the games this season, but especially since the middle of June, you would see why fans are frustrated.

In that time span they have been by far the worst offensive team in baseball. And it's really not even close.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
If you've been watching any of the games this season, but especially since the middle of June, you would see why fans are frustrated.

In that time span they have been by far the worst offensive team in baseball. And it's really not even close.

Since the middle of June this team has the best record in the AL and a ~.750 OPS which is top-10 in MLB.

Perception of what’s happening is whack.

mikeyz

Dec 3, 2013
Since the middle of June this team has the best record in the AL and a ~.750 OPS which is top-10 in MLB.

The best record in the AL I believe because they have had arguably the best starting pitching and top 5 bullpen in that time.

CherryToke

Oct 18, 2008
Coquitlam
Because we’re 3rd and should be 1st.

Expectations are the thief of joy… but seriously, should be 1st lol.

They'd be right there if Springer and Vlad were pulling their weight. Springer having his worst season of his career and the best hitting prospect in MLB history turning into a dud has muzzled the offense. Totally not frustrating though :rolleyes:

Reactions: VanillaCoke

mikeyz

Dec 3, 2013

P.S there is absolutely no f****** way this team is a top 10 offense in baseball.

Do you think so?

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
The best record in the AL I believe because they have had arguably the best starting pitching and top 5 bullpen in that time.

You're happy with the offense right now?

Yes, they’re winning with pitching and defense. But they’re still winning, lots. And they’re actually winning more than they were earlier in the season when they were scoring more runs.

Yes, they’ve been shut out a few times. And yes the RISP stuff is annoying. But overall they’re #5-10 in MLB in basically every offensive metric and 16th/30 in runs. This isn’t some sort of generationally terribly offensive team.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
P.S there is absolutely no f****** way this team is a top 10 offense in baseball.

Do you think so?

All their metrics are. They’re just in a bizarre funk with RISP.

4th in average
5th in OBP
9th in OPS
5th in OPS+

They get a ton of runners on base but have left more on base than any team in MLB because of the RISP issues.

mikeyz

Dec 3, 2013
All their metrics are. They’re just in a bizarre funk with RISP.

4th in average
5th in OBP
9th in OPS
5th in OPS+

They get a ton of runners on base but have left more on base than any team in MLB because of the RISP issues.
I was just about to say this and I just realized it. That's 750 Ops is a very flawed stat because a large chunk of that number has come with no Runners on base. They are definitely bottom five with risp.

And that kind of supports my theory that they're one of the worst offensive teams in the league right now. Because you don't get runs by hitting with nobody on base unless it's a home run.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad