Blue Jays GDT: 2023 v6 | Thu, Jul 6 | *DOUBLEHEADER* | @ CWS | 5:00pm ET/2:00pm PT & TBA after| Berrios vs Lynn & Kikuchi vs TBA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
If Jays get hot now, the division will become more in play. Tampa has been mediocre for a while. Jays are 8 games back

Since the end of May:

TB 17-15
BAL 16-14
NYY 14-16
TOR 19-13
BOS 17-16

A lot of people seem to evaluate the Jays exclusively based on what they've done most recently, so it's funny that there's been so much "The Jays suck and clearly aren't a playoff team!" talk over the last few weeks while they've casually gained at least 2 games on every other team in the division. Catching TB is obviously a long shot at 8 games back with 74 to go, but I don't think the first Wild Card spot is remotely out of range considering how much BAL has fallen back to earth.

(Also, to rope in the rest of the playoff contenders here... in that stretch TEX is 16-17, Houston is 17-16, LAA is 15-17, SEA is 14-16, MIN is 16-16, CLE is 18-14. The Jays have literally the best record in the AL since the start of June.)

canucksfan

Mar 16, 2002
British Columbia
Visit site
Since the end of May:

TB 17-15
BAL 16-14
NYY 14-16
TOR 19-13
BOS 17-16

A lot of people seem to evaluate the Jays exclusively based on what they've done most recently, so it's funny that there's been so much "The Jays suck and clearly aren't a playoff team!" talk over the last few weeks while they've casually gained at least 2 games on every other team in the division. Catching TB is obviously a long shot at 8 games back with 74 to go, but I don't think the first Wild Card spot is remotely out of range considering how much BAL has fallen back to earth.

(Also, to rope in the rest of the playoff contenders here... in that stretch TEX is 16-17, Houston is 17-16, LAA is 15-17, SEA is 14-16, MIN is 16-16, CLE is 18-14. The Jays have literally the best record in the AL since the start of June.)
And this is with the team having four starting pitchers.

Rodon comes back for the Yankees today but they are still without Judge for a long time.

Reactions: Leaf Rocket

Leaf Rocket

Leaf Fan Till I Die
Dec 10, 2007
Toronto/Fredericton
Since the end of May:

TB 17-15
BAL 16-14
NYY 14-16
TOR 19-13
BOS 17-16

1688742853049.gif

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
And this is with the team having four starting pitchers.

Rodon comes back for the Yankees today but they are still without Judge for a long time.
Rodon should definitely help. At the very least he should offset Severino pitching like Manoah.

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
Since the end of May:

TB 17-15
BAL 16-14
NYY 14-16
TOR 19-13
BOS 17-16

You could have given me 100 guesses and I would have never guessed this Jays record nor the order of best to worst.

Reactions: Discoverer

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Since the end of May:

TB 17-15
BAL 16-14
NYY 14-16
TOR 19-13
BOS 17-16

It's been such a weird season.

It's felt bad and disappointing pretty much right from the start and the tone here has been overwhelmingly negative and probably 80% of the posts here are negative and you'd think we were the Padres by the feel/tone - even through the last month with the best record in the AL.

But actually the record is pretty good, we're probably going to be in the playoffs, and we're also probably going to go on a big run when with get into the soft schedule later this month and through August.

It's kind of the opposite of 2021 which felt f***ing amazing as the team was lighting it up but didn't get the record to show for it thanks to a lot of questionable Charlie decisions.

Reactions: Discoverer

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
Feels like it is too soon for Manoah to come back. Really strange timing of this. We all thought it will be months before he comes back, maybe not even this season! I don’t know, what if he gets lit up again? What then? I think it’s pretty rushed, they did not want to go with 4 starters for too much longer. They probably figured, one great start in AA is good enough let’s get him back asap. But I am really excited to see him pitch tonight.

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
Feels like it is too soon for Manoah to come back. Really strange timing of this. We all thought it will be months before he comes back, maybe not even this season! I don’t know, what if he gets lit up again? What then? I think it’s pretty rushed, they did not want to go with 4 starters for too much longer. They probably figured, one great start in AA is good enough let’s get him back asap. But I am really excited to see him pitch tonight.
We should have left him down, added another starter via trade, and then dealt with the problem of having "too many" starters later. Whether he does well or poorly Ross likely doesn't pursue anything at the deadline now.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
We should have left him down, added another starter via trade, and then dealt with the problem of having "too many" starters later. Whether he does well or poorly Ross likely doesn't pursue anything at the deadline now.

Yea, it doesn’t make sense at all. How is one great start in AA all of a sudden mean that he is “fixed”? why did they even send him all the way down to the Florida Complex League in the first place? I thought it would be a long term “break him down and build him back up” thing

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario

Prices could have been inflated based on the belief that the Jays "need" another starter and are desperate. I still wouldn't be surprised if they added someone with starter potential. A Stripling type of acquisition where they can keep them in the backend of the bullpen. Tigers actually have a few guys that might be on the Jays radar (Lorenzen, Holton, Alexander).

Last edited:
Reactions: canucksfan

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
I don't understand the logic behind this. How does calling Manoah up mean they won't make a move even if he continues to struggle? If anything, the fact that they're calling him up so soon suggests they want to see what they have in him so they know whether or not they need to make a move at the deadline.

I'm not sure I agree with the move - at the absolute least, I think he should have made another start at AA and come up after the All Star break - but it's a very high-risk/high-reward move. If it works out, they have a strong addition to the rotation the rest of the season and they don't have to waste assets filling the spot. If it doesn't... ugh. But at least they'll know they need to add before the deadline.

mikeyz

Dec 3, 2013

LMFAO OMG!! Did he actually say this???🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Edit: No. He didn't. I just read the fine print in the bottom right hand corner.

• Haha
Reactions: Leaf Rocket

fancy lad

Nov 22, 2021
Does anyone actually have confidence in Manoah tonight? I don't know it seems like they are rushing him, although an away game vs. the tigers is probably a way to ease him back.

I would guess anything over 5 innings and 3 ERs or less would be considered a success.

All this talk of pressure is pretty funny. That playoff quote of his last year does not look good on him.

Leaf Rocket

Leaf Fan Till I Die
Dec 10, 2007
Toronto/Fredericton
Does anyone actually have confidence in Manoah tonight? I don't know it seems like they are rushing him, although an away game vs. the tigers is probably a way to ease him back.

I would guess anything over 5 innings and 3 ERs or less would be considered a success.

All this talk of pressure is pretty funny. That playoff quote of his last year does not look good on him.
I think the common consensus is....they are rushing him.

Heres hoping for the best.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad