2023 U Sports Recruiting

FreddyFoyle

Mar 12, 2008
Fredericton, NB
So you'd rather these two kids be on the front line shooting at Ukrainians? Ridiculous.
No, of course I don't want that.

But I feel strongly that any Russian athlete who does not publicly condemn Putin and his illegal and inhumane invasion of Ukraine is condoning war crimes. Therefore they should be sent home to live in their society under sanctions.

We won't see change in Russia until the citizens change their leadership, which means ALL of their voters have to share in the hardships of sanctions and being an international pariah and not be able to hide out unhindered in the West.

Years ago a friend of mine from South Africa told me that the sports sanctions during Apartheid were the most effective against the mindset of ordinary South Africans.

dm8895

V-Reds , McJesus Stan , Beer Leaguer
Apr 3, 2015
Freddy Beach
No, of course I don't want that.

But I feel strongly that any Russian athlete who does not publicly condemn Putin and his illegal and inhumane invasion of Ukraine is condoning war crimes. Therefore they should be sent home to live in their society under sanctions.

We won't see change in Russia until the citizens change their leadership, which means ALL of their voters have to share in the hardships of sanctions and being an international pariah and not be able to hide out unhindered in the West.

Years ago a friend of mine from South Africa told me that the sports sanctions during Apartheid were the most effective against the mindset of ordinary South Africans.
He’s a 19 year old kid. He can’t even buy a beer in the States, it’s a lot of pressure to put on a kid to expect him to speak publicly about politics.

FreddyFoyle

Mar 12, 2008
Fredericton, NB
He’s a 19 year old kid. He can’t even buy a beer in the States, it’s a lot of pressure to put on a kid to expect him to speak publicly about politics.
Has nothing to do with drinking age.

If you're old enough to vote, then you are old enough to influence politics. That's what a vote is. You can't just hide your head in the sand. 18 and 19 year old Ukrainians are dying on the front lines to protect the government they voted for. I don't believe we should infantilize young adults just because they are athletes.

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
It's not fair to blame the invasion on this kid or to expect him to pick up a gun and fight for Russia or to protest the invasion.

I understand the passion some people have for the situation in Ukraine, but this kid isn't going to make a difference.

We have no idea if he has family in Russia who could be targeted if he speaks about this.

If you want to "blame" someone, blame the 62 millionaires playing in the NHL.

Not being critical, but it's easy for us to sit in our "safe" Ivory Towers and dictate the behaviour of others.

Let him play and keep this site focussed on hockey.

thook

Jan 9, 2010
It's not fair to blame the invasion on this kid or to expect him to pick up a gun and fight for Russia or to protest the invasion.

I understand the passion some people have for the situation in Ukraine, but this kid isn't going to make a difference.

We have no idea if he has family in Russia who could be targeted if he speaks about this.

If you want to "blame" someone, blame the 62 millionaires playing in the NHL.

Not being critical, but it's easy for us to sit in our "safe" Ivory Towers and dictate the behaviour of others.

Let him play and keep this site focussed on hockey.

Kid has nothing to do with anything going on over seas. He's a kid trying to live his dream playing the highest level hockey he can. I wish him luck.

Reactions: MiamiHockeyII

MiamiHockeyII

Mar 24, 2022
This will be my last comment on the Russians playing USports.

Russia has a 1-year mandatory military service and is currently using conscription (forced military service) to increase its numbers during the invasion of Ukraine.

Their current law states that if you are summoned to a conscription office, you are forbidden from leaving Russia for a year. Ivan Fedotov, an NHL prospect, was detained in Russia and forced to serve for a year under this exact law.

Whatever your politics, you need to understand that in Russia your affiliation with the ruling party matters a lot. Russia is not remotely a free country.

Now, nobody here knows what Daniil Grigoryev or Artyom Duda would be facing if they remained in Russia, but I would foster an educated guess that they left Russia when they did for a reason, and are unlikely to be returning to Russia any time soon. With all due respect to the fine people at TMU, hockey players don't choose TMU over the KHL or even MHL just because they want a pro career.

I am a veteran, and I can tell you with certainty that Russia has perhaps the worst-run military in the First World. If you read history, you will learn that Russia's combat strategy has always centered around using quantity over quality. They treat their conscripts like dirt, their training and discipline is an embarrassment, and their officers are incompetent. There is a reason their invasion of Ukraine has failed and is getting worse. There is a reason Russia had more casualties in WWII than any other country. Conscription into the Russian army is worse than anything you could have possibly experienced in your life.

If you oppose Grogoryev and Duda being allowed to play in USports, that's your choice. But, you need to understand why two talented young players would leave their home country behind.

hockeyinsiderusports

Nov 20, 2017
Savoie did sign an AHL contract, so the suspended by Rochester indicates his decision to go to UNB.
I will still be surprised if Mitchell Smith, former Saginaw Spirit D (OHL) doesn't land in USports.
Rumour I’m hearing for Smith now is he done with hockey. Windsor was on him as well and UNB

Bob Stauffer

Aug 4, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Alberta made two significant additions...

As previously mentioned on this site...

Defenceman Aidan De La Gorgendiere has left minor pro and indeed was in the lineup for the Golden Bears vs TWU.
The former captain of the Saskatoon Blades had 65 points in 65 GP last season...he was manning Alberta's 1st unit PP on the weekend.

And right wing Connor McLennon has also committed to the Golden Bears.
He had 46-46-92 last season on the powerhouse Winnipeg Ice, and played 7 games earlier this season for Chicago in AHL.

Relative to the USports level these are two high-end offensive additions!

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
Alberta made two significant additions...

As previously mentioned on this site...

Defenceman Aidan De La Gorgendiere has left minor pro and indeed was in the lineup for the Golden Bears vs TWU.
The former captain of the Saskatoon Blades had 65 points in 65 GP last season...he was manning Alberta's 1st unit PP on the weekend.

And right wing Connor McLennon has also committed to the Golden Bears.
He had 46-46-92 last season on the powerhouse Winnipeg Ice, and played 7 games earlier this season for Chicago in AHL.

Relative to the USports level these are two high-end offensive additions!

With these two recruits I expect the Bears to be back at Nationals this year.

leafhky88

Mar 16, 2009
Toronto
Laurier added 3 to their roster over the break - 2 players and 1 coach.

On the coaching side - they added Jerome Dupont as an assistant. He played parts of 6 seasons in the NHL in the 80's with Chicago/Toronto and coached in the OJHL as a head coach fairly steadily from 2005-2020, with a short stint as the head coach in Gatineau (QMJHL), as well as an associate with Brock in 21-22 (with current Laurier head coach). Jérôme Dupont at eliteprospects.com

On the player side
F - Max-Antoine Melancon - Max-Antoine Melançon at eliteprospects.com who played close to all of 22-23 with Brock including a few playoff games (I think then would likely would not be eligible this year?)

G - Paris O'Brien - Paris O'Brien at eliteprospects.com
This one is interesting. His last regular season games came in 21-22 with Kunlun in the KHL. Not a particularly common league to see USports players coming from. Also played for China at the Olympics.

RED ARMY EAST

Feb 14, 2010
Freddy Beach,N.B.Canada
With these two recruits I expect the Bears to be back at Nationals this year.
A lot of competition in the West right now, so I wouldn't pencil Alberta in yet, but that's probably the most impact forward that Alberta has landed since the Philp brothers.
Gorgendiere should inject some offence on the backend as well.

Reactions: Rob

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
The LOI site has been updated for the first time in awhile

Félix Allard to Concordia
Daniel Agostino to Concordia
Caden Cabana to Macewan
Michael Horth to Moncton
Jonathan Desrosiers to Moncton
Charles-Antoine Pilote to UQTR
Olivier Boutin to UQTR
Tristan Roy to UQTR

Last edited:

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
Alexandre Nadeau - Concordia
Paul Hughes - Dalhousie

Also looks like Evan Boucher has left Ottawa for Florida of the ECHL.

EDIT - Boucher, not Bouchard

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille