GDT: 2023 Tom Kurvers Prospect Showcase

Status
Not open for further replies.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
Scott Steven's needed time to develop?
Niedermayer was what, 19 when he was an impact player in the nhl?

Great players are great players.

Hell, Seth Jones was playing on the second pairing at 19 on a stacked defensive corps. You know, the guy who's getting bumped down a pair for the fresh, new Guschinski....
I remember when Duncan Keith first came up. Everyone thought he sucked. Guess what happened after a few years?

Stop comparing KK to HOFs. Every player develops differently. Use a little nuance.

ConnorBedardisbest reminds me of another poster ... krisbryantisbest. In fact, look at Kris Bryant's development. He was great in his first 3 years and then meh. Is that poster still around?

Kurtosis

GHG
May 26, 2010
The Village Within the City
I remember when Duncan Keith first came up. Everyone thought he sucked. Guess what happened after a few years?

Stop comparing KK to HOFs. Every player develops differently. Use a little nuance.

ConnorBedardisbest reminds me of another poster ... krisbryantisbest. In fact, look at Kris Bryant's development. He was great in his first 3 years and then meh. Is that poster still around?
Ironically enough they’re the same poster.

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois
Korchinski isn't going to be anything but the second coming of Gus.

We already went thru the exaggerated potential limit breaks with young players here and every time I was right.

Many here said Boqvist was a top pairing guy. I said he wasn't good.

Is the guy even in the NHL any more?

Same with Dach. Who isn't anything but a 30 point third liner and many here were comparing him to Getzlaf. Seider is an actual top pairing guy.

And people really think all these draft picks Davidson has accumulated are going to be nhlers?
What a dumb post
Kris Bryant is doing great

Reactions: Beukeboom Fan

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
Says this^^

Then says
Exactly Einstein. You see how ridiculous it is to compare prospects who just turned 19 year olds to HOFers. Heck, we should even be cautious with our comparisons of Bedard who might be the third best prospect in the last 20 years. Every prospect develops differently ... sometimes they don't develop at all.

No one knows how KK will turn out, but give it time. He might be great. He might be good. He might be mediocre. He might be a bust. You certainly don't know either ... otherwise your handle would still be KrisBryantisBest.

Thanks for playing.

Last edited:

HeisenBaez

Nov 3, 2008
Heart of Dixie
Scott Steven's needed time to develop?
Niedermayer was what, 19 when he was an impact player in the nhl?

Great players are great players.

Hell, Seth Jones was playing on the second pairing at 19 on a stacked defensive corps. You know, the guy who's getting bumped down a pair for the fresh, new Guschinski....
Development is not linear. Some guys can get to the NHL at 19, like a Stevens, etc, some needs a little seasoning before they get to the NHL. Pronger was 21. Roman Josi was 21. So on and so on.

IMO, this anxiety about Kor and his immediate will be much ado about nothing.

EbonyRaptor

Jul 10, 2009
Geezerville
Development is not linear. Some guys can get to the NHL at 19, like a Stevens, etc, some needs a little seasoning before they get to the NHL. Pronger was 21. Roman Josi was 21. So on and so on.

Eh - some guys get a hard on for a particular player and won't move off their opinion regardless of new evidence - part and parcel of internet "knowledge". There are at least a couple of them in the Hawks forum and a whole bunch more in the main forums.

Cubs2024WSChamps

Tate MacRae follows me on Tiktok
Apr 29, 2015
Exactly Einstein. You see how ridiculous it is to compare prospects who just turned 19 year olds to HOFers. Heck, we should even be cautious with our comparisons of Bedard who might be the third best prospect in the last 20 years. Every prospect develops differently ... sometimes they don't develop at all.

No one knows how KK will turn out, but give it time. He might be great. He might be good. He might be mediocre. He might be a bust. You certainly don't know either ... otherwise your handle would still be KrisBryantisBest.

Thanks for playing.
Ok, with this logic, then those who are putting this kid ahead of a top pairing guy in Jones are what, exactly?

Not informed? Unrealistic?

Great players are great no matter what their age. That's the whole point. Jack Hughes, great player, needed a year to adapt to the NHL. He didn't need to be developed. Scott neidermayer was an impact player at 19, so don't give me these excuses defenseman need to time to develop or Guschinski I going to be better then a player on his own team who was playing in the NHL at 19.

I've seen enough of the kid to safely say he is what he is and he's never going to develop his defensive game to be nothing more then a power play guy. There were no moments last year in Seattle where he was relied upon defensively, and these two prospect games just pointed it out even more he has no clue what to do in his own zone and looked foolish at times.

Three years from now people will be saying how it's his year when he's toiling in Rockford wearing a letter

• Haha
Reactions: dj Mahoney

Cubs2024WSChamps

Apr 29, 2015

What?

Pronger was a top pairing guy at the tail end of his rookie year at age 19. All rookie team and played 81 games.

Stevens played in the NHL his draft year at 18.

Where are you getting your info from?

Chelios

Jan 1, 2004
Visit site
Kaiser was our best D but he only played a game. Allan and Del Mastro look like bottom-pairing/PK guys if they make it. Allan just doesn’t move or handle the puck well enough to play up in the lineup. Same for Del Mastro. They can still be useful players though.

Are we watching the same person? Doesn’t move well?

Larmer83

I'm taking the high road moving forward.
May 13, 2018
Lakewood, CO

In between those two user names, he was justinfieldsisbest. That's all you need to know.

Chelios

Jan 1, 2004
Visit site
I was referring to his puck skills. Moving and handling the puck.
Ah, gotcha. I guess thats fair. I honestly don't find his puck skills are an issue. I think the one concern of mine with Allen is his decision making (both offensively and defensively). I think that if he can keep his mistakes to a minimum he can be a Jake McCabe-like player.

Reactions: Muffinalt

giza

Jul 19, 2011
Fortunately, the Hawks aren't in any hurry for any of these guys to develop quickly. If KK needs to go back to Juniors to work on stride, get stronger, etc....then he goes back. Same with all the rest...it's not a track meet to the Pro's at this stage of the rebuild.

Beukeboom Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Chicago, IL
Visit site
Are you trying to say Pronger was a rookie in St. Louis?
Did he say that? As I remember it - folks in STL were pissed because Shanny was a multiple 50 goal guy and Pronger took multiple years to turn into the future HOF'er (which is the underlying point of many of the posts). Most d-men take time to adapt to the NHL game. And most prospects bust - so saying you were right on "so-and-so" - really means shit except that you're good at playing the odds.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
Are you trying to say Pronger was a rookie in St. Louis?
Pronger wasn't considered a top NHL D until like his 4th or 5th season in the NHL...

MOST D take 3-5 years to develop into the player they're going to be for their prime years in the NHL. Acting like that's not the case with the majority of the D in the NHL is just disingenuous on your part.

So claiming a D is a bust when he hasn't even played in the NHL, and he's 19, is kinda silly.

He's basically a PPG D in the WHL at this point. We'll need to wait a few years to see if that can translate to the NHL.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
Pronger wasn't considered a top NHL D until like his 4th or 5th season in the NHL...

MOST D take 3-5 years to develop into the player they're going to be for their prime years in the NHL. Acting like that's not the case with the majority of the D in the NHL is just disingenuous on your part.

So claiming a D is a bust when he hasn't even played in the NHL, and he's 19, is kinda silly.

He's basically a PPG D in the WHL at this point. We'll need to wait a few years to see if that can translate to the NHL.
It's one thing to say, "I don't see it right now," with a 19 year old. Or he still has a long way to go to be effective in the NHL. Some might be positive and hope the #7 overall pick / 19 year old has the potential to be first pairing DMen. He must have some talent to be picked that high. However, who the heck calls a 19 year old a bust before even playing 1 game in the AHL because he hasn't developed like certain HOFers?

It's the hottest of hot takes. Skip Bayless is even blushing.

Putt Pirate

Dec 15, 2015
This camp was just a snapshot to see where the players may be. They are not finished products. None of them are. KK probably needs another year in Seattle and a year or two in Rockford unless he all the sudden gets it. No need to hurry him of judge him 12 months into his career.

Cubs2024WSChamps

Apr 29, 2015
So when somebody here was calling Allen a bust right after he was drafted, many here were agreeing with him.

But now calling a 19 year old a bust is wrong?

You all played yourselves.

(Snickers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad