2023 Rene Lecavalier Division SF: Nova Scotia Voyageurs vs Chesapeake Icebreakers

Theokritos

Global Moderator
Apr 6, 2010
Nova Scotia Voyageurs (@Habsfan18 & @Transplanted Caper)

Head Coach: Hap Day

Sweeney Schriner-Stan Mikita (A)-Bernie Geoffrion
Roy Conacher-Peter Forsberg-Larry Aurie
Bob Gainey (C)-Dave Keon-Dirk Graham
Zach Parise-Mats Sundin-Tim Kerr
Blair Russell, Milan Novy

Larry Robinson (A)-Serge Savard
Guy Lapointe-Vladimir Konstantinov
Gus Mortson-Kevin Hatcher
Moose Vasko

Johnny Bower
Roy Worters

Power Play 1:
Schriner - Mikita - Forsberg
Geoffrion - Lapointe

Power Play 2:
Conacher - Sundin - Kerr
Hatcher - Robinson

Penalty Kill 1:
Gainey - Keon
Robinson - Savard

Penalty Kill 2:
Graham - Aurie
Lapointe - Konstantinov

Original roster post: ATD 2023 Roster Thread

Chesapeake Icebreakers (@VanIslander)

coach Viktor Tikhonov

Toe Blake - Steve Yzerman (C) - Sergei Makarov
Johnny Bucyk (A) - Joe Thornton - Yvan Cournoyer
George Hay - Jacques Lemaire - Glenn Anderson
Brian Propp - Dave Poulin - Ed Litzenberger
Auston Matthews, Bill Mosienko

Denis Potvin (A) - Emile Bouchard
Lionel Conacher - Larry Murphy
Vladimir Lutchenko - Alex Ragulin
Adam Foote

Martin Brodeur
Rogie Vachon

Power Play 1:
Blake - Yzerman - Anderson - Potvin - Murphy

Power Play 2:
Bucyk - Thornton - Makarov - Lemaire - Lutchenko

Penalty Kill 1:
Poulin - Propp - Conacher - Bouchard - Brodeur

Penalty Kill 2:
Yzerman - Makarov - Potvin - Ragulin - Brodeur

Original roster post: ATD 2023 Roster Thread

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
Good luck @VanIslander, should be a good series. I like your team, just not as much as ours. ;)

I don’t have a whole lot of time right now, but I thought I’d drop in quickly to at least get things started and to give my initial thoughts. Will write more later.

- We plan on leaning on the strengths of our Big 3 on D. We feel we have one of the strongest (and proven) top pairing defensemen in the entire draft. They can shut your offensive attack down, Big Bird will keep you honest, and they can provide offense as well. Guy Lapointe will be relied on to provide offense and will have a lot of room and freedom out there with Konstantinov as a partner.

- Hap Day is thrilled to have Stan Mikita and Peter Forsberg, both feisty players who wear their heart on their sleeves and offer solid two-way play, as the drivers of their respective top 6 lines. Geoffrion, Schriner, Conacher and Aurie stand to benefit greatly from their playmaking abilities.

- Hap Day plans on deploying the shutdown line of Gainey-Keon-Graham when necessary, especially in certain situations against the Yzerman line. It’s a trio that can make life absolutely miserable for the opposition and we plan to utilize that whenever needed. We’re biased, but we feel it’s the best shutdown checking line in the draft, and if not best, it has to be close.

- The Voyageurs are strong on both special teams. Geoffrion and his booming shot will play the point on PP1, alongside Lapointe who is also a weapon himself. Add Mikita and Schriner’s scoring ability and Forsberg’s vision and we feel like it’s a formidable unit. Kerr, who is a powerplay beast, and Sundin both provide a strong net front presence on PP2 alongside Conacher’s heavy shot. The big duo of Larry Robinson and Kevin Hatcher round out the unit and both are capable of lightning the lamp from the point.

- We feel like Gainey, Keon, Graham and Aurie gives us a very strong set of PK forwards that Hap Day will confidently send over the boards to kill off any infractions we take. Robinson-Savard, and Lapointe-Konstantinov are all very capable of holding the fort on the backend as well. Overall it’s a strength of our club.

- We feel like we certainly have the coaching advantage with Day over Tikhonov. Brodeur is obviously noticeably superior to Bower in goal, there’s no comparison there when looking at it from a matchup point of view. So the Voyageurs will have to rely on our strengths and we feel like this is a lineup Hap Day would love to coach and could do some damage with. Bower won’t have to stand on his head, he just has to be good enough to give his team a chance to win, which he historically has proven to be capable of doing.

Reactions: nabby12

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Only four positions from that line up outdoes those from Chesapeake, in every draft i've ever been in (except Hay vs. Gainey).

Aurie and Graham in the top 9? (This is a smaller, higher-level comp draft)

OMG the disparity in wingers and net is STARK.

And the pants are full of holes.

I'm sorry that a more popular GM hadn't drafted the Icebreakers. Out.

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
Only four positions from that line up outdoes those from Chesapeake, in every draft i've ever been in (except Hay vs. Gainey).

Aurie and Graham in the top 9? (This is a smaller, higher-level comp draft)

OMG the disparity in wingers and net is STARK.

And the pants are full of holes.

I'm sorry that a more popular GM hadn't drafted the Icebreakers. Out.

Van, buddy..Would it kill you to not be overly dramatic just once during this? Your annual “out” that lasts about a week at a time is one of the most predictable aspects of this. And as always, it’s completely unnecessary. Not everything needs to piss you off to the point that you feel the need to start with the snarky bullshit and bail out.

Oh well, I do wish you luck. If the voters feel like you built the better team, they’ll vote that way. And if that’s the case so be it, win or lose I’ve had a blast.

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
I love the draft first and foremost, and lament those who quit because their squad wasn't voted for.

But with 15+ years of experience comes an intolerance for b.s.

Seriously, only four players from that team makes it to Chesapeake.

I ranked it 3rd in regular season voting, as little outside the d trio and center drafting is synergetic. Lines? Special teams? ...

We do not live in an age of Truth, so i'll be skewered for saying EXACTLY what i think.

Life goes on.

Professor What

Sep 16, 2020
Gallifrey
I love the draft first and foremost, and lament those who quit because their squad wasn't voted for.

I ranked it 3rd in regular season voting, as little outside the d trio and center drafting is synergetic. Lines? Special teams? ...

We do not live in an age of Truth, so i'll be skewered for saying EXACTLY what i think.

Life goes on.
I feel like you're insulting everyone involved in this, because you're suggesting that we won't vote honestly. Why even bother if you feel that way?

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario

Life goes on.

Maybe instead of whining about voting that HASN’T EVEN TAKEN PLACE yet, why don’t you make a case for your team so the voters could read about why you should win?

I’m pretty busy in life so I don’t have a whole lot of time for in-depth back and forths, but I at least came into the thread to state our teams case for why I think we could win. We’ll rely on our big 3 on D to play big roles on both sides of the puck. We feel it’s a lineup that very much suits the coach. We have strong two-way centermen with playmaking abilities, and goal scoring wingers who can benefit from that. We have a top notch checking trio who will be used in many situations to shut down your top line. We feel our special teams can do the job. We feel we’ll have a big advantage from a coaching standpoint.

Seriously, instead of whining, make a case for your team other than “c’mon, we’re better!”

And if the voters feel like you built the better club, I sincerely hope they vote that way. I’ll tip my hat off to you. I’m just here to have some fun and not take this so f***ing seriously. Win or lose I just want to have some fun building a team and talk hockey history. If our team gets bounced in the 1st round so be it. Of course I want to win, but winning or losing doesn’t dictate my level of fun in playing a hockey history game.

I considered you a friend after we spent many months chatting daily while we co-GM’d a few years back. But I’m tired of your constant moody bullshit. That act was stale a long time ago, to be honest. I hope you know that it’s entirely possible to be passionate without being straight up miserable all the time..

Last edited:
Reactions: Transplanted Caper

Transplanted Caper

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2003
No one is getting skewered. People are rolling their eyes at someone throwing their toys out of the pram because they're upset about a fantasy hockey draft on an internet message board. I literally only remember a few names from past drafts after not participating for a long time. I'm nowhere near smart enough to get Machiavellian with my voting on...and I can't stress this enough a FANTASY HOCKEY DRAFT ON AN INTERNET MESSAGE BOARD.

I did find the voting exceedingly difficult. The difference between 1st and 4th in some divisions was almost negligible for me and that's a testament to how strong and smart the people who participate in this thing are, and have gotten over the years, If we lose, I will not be upset (again, draft, message board etc) and will happily continue to follow and vote on future match-ups.

I'm really not trying to be a prick here, but we all have friends and families and jobs and interests and challenges outside this, There's no grand plot and no biased voting. Honest to god, you (and all of us as posters) just aren't that important.

nabby12

Nov 11, 2008
Winnipeg
If there's ever someone that should be banned from ATD its @VanIslander. I don't know how you guys have let his constant BS slide for all these years. I don't think I've ever been more annoyed reading someone's online posts before. :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad