Status
Not open for further replies.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
1684910879885.png

Between 2001 and 2015, Orsillo’s voice was the soundtrack of some of the greatest moments in franchise history, and his rapport with Remy and Eckersley kept fans entertained during the less-than-great seasons. The anniversary of their iconic pizza game is celebrated each year, and he’ll often send out a tweet for the occasion or reference the moment when showing off his culinary skills.

Then, in August 2015, Orsillo got called in for a meeting on a team day off, and was told that his contract wouldn’t be renewed at the end of the calendar year. He quickly landed on his feet in San Diego, but doesn’t pretend to be unaffected by his firing.

“At the time, it was really devastating for me, because it’s all I knew. It was my dream job, my home team, and I thought I was pretty good at it, and it was going well, and I didn’t see it coming,” he says with a sad smile. “But then, I came here, and I couldn’t love it here any more. I live on Coronado Island, I fish every day, I get to work in 11 minutes, and I work at this beautiful ballpark, and the fan base has embraced me really well, almost as well, I would say, as Boston.”

Orsillo still has immense affection for Red Sox fans, but no longer counts himself among them.

“I keep abreast of all the teams, but my fandom sort of ended,” he pauses and corrects himself. “No, it didn’t sort of end, it ended when I was fired.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Reese McGuire swing and miss on strike three in the 2nd inning with 2 runners on is my nomination for worst swing of the year.

Getting excellent starting pitching lately. Yipee!

Verdugo's average plunging. Is he losing interest already? Maybe he needs new bling.

Devers OBP now at .291. Only Wong's is lower.

Reactions: BruinsFanSince94

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
pretty much every bat has gone ice cold the last few games
I learned long ago to not freak out too much over west coast road trips. Ironically I live on the west coast now. I'm actually only about 20 minutes away from Angel Stadium but the last 3 or 4 years they only seem to come here midweeks and it's not convenient to go to games when they start at 6:40 or so.

But yeah, I think back to when I was 17 or 18 back home staying up until 2 AM watching them lose extra-inning games in Oakland and Seattle and acting like it was the end of the world. Regardless of how bad the west coast teams may be, the Sox always find a way to be out of whack at the plate against them on these trips.

Reactions: CDJ

Mione134

Queen in the North
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2010
Hogwarts-617
View attachment 712088

Between 2001 and 2015, Orsillo’s voice was the soundtrack of some of the greatest moments in franchise history, and his rapport with Remy and Eckersley kept fans entertained during the less-than-great seasons. The anniversary of their iconic pizza game is celebrated each year, and he’ll often send out a tweet for the occasion or reference the moment when showing off his culinary skills.

Then, in August 2015, Orsillo got called in for a meeting on a team day off, and was told that his contract wouldn’t be renewed at the end of the calendar year. He quickly landed on his feet in San Diego, but doesn’t pretend to be unaffected by his firing.

“At the time, it was really devastating for me, because it’s all I knew. It was my dream job, my home team, and I thought I was pretty good at it, and it was going well, and I didn’t see it coming,” he says with a sad smile. “But then, I came here, and I couldn’t love it here any more. I live on Coronado Island, I fish every day, I get to work in 11 minutes, and I work at this beautiful ballpark, and the fan base has embraced me really well, almost as well, I would say, as Boston.”

Orsillo still has immense affection for Red Sox fans, but no longer counts himself among them.

“I keep abreast of all the teams, but my fandom sort of ended,” he pauses and corrects himself. “No, it didn’t sort of end, it ended when I was fired.

Firing Orsillo was easily the worst decision TPTB made. I still don't understand it.

Reactions: CDJ

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
Firing Orsillo was easily the worst decision TPTB made. I still don't understand it.
100%.

They absolutely murdered their own TV product overnight and it's a massive uphill battle to win back viewers.

And I don't hate Dave O'Brien as a radio announcer or even a neutral national announcer, there's no zero charisma or chemistry with anyone in the booth to make it as a regional tv guy. And the difference is magnified by how Don & Jerry had such a great thing going for 15 years. What's worse is that despite the fact that it's not working and the backlash they've faced for the decision they haven't done anything to improve the broadcast at all and have doubled down on DOB.

Monaco/Middlebrooks 2024

Reactions: Mione134 and CDJ

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Kluber to the pen is the right move. Not sure that will improve things but we can at least throw him in garbage time and see if he can get his command back. He can be usable if his command is on, it’s just been off most starts this year

Reactions: Mione134

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
Kluber to the pen is the right move. Not sure that will improve things but we can at least throw him in garbage time and see if he can get his command back. He can be usable if his command is on, it’s just been off most starts this year
He's worth giving a couple weeks to out of the pen. Tell him to focus on throwing strikes, pitch placement, command. 1 inning, don't worry about saving yourself for a 6 inning start. If he can't get it together out there, DFA him. But as a veteran with a track record of good command, you can experiment. Not like it's harming the team to take an inning away from Justin Garza or Brennan Bernardino.

Reactions: Mione134 and CDJ

Mione134

Queen in the North
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2010
Hogwarts-617
Kluber needs to go on the DL with an "injury". See if the staff can fix his issues. If not. He's going to have to be DFA.

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
I didn't mind Sean. He was very good.

Firing Orsillo still sucked. Robbed us of years with Remy

Orsillo stole McDonough's whole shtick, wasn't nearly as good at doing it, and spent the last five years on the job giggling through every f***ing broadcast.

Well-earned firing. He couldn't be serious when the game called for him to be. I know because he was great when he'd call post-season games and wasn't worried about being a chucklehead.

Sounds like he's living an amazing life out West, so good for him, truly. He's not a bad guy at all, I just grew to really dislike how he specifically called Red Sox games.

Reactions: smithformeragent
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad