• Adam Wilsby

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
Vote for the best prospect (with whatever reasoning you want) from the above poll.

Rankings:

1. Yaroslav Askarov (G, 11OA 2020 Draft)
2. Joakim Kemell (RW, 17OA 2022 Draft)

And just for Viqsi the player names in the poll are now in alphabetical order.

jumb0

Feb 3, 2017
images

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
For whatever reason it seems like the Wood voters get to these threads fastest. He had a commanding lead to start the last poll before Kemell came roaring back to take it.

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
For whatever reason it seems like the Wood voters get to these threads fastest. He had a commanding lead to start the last poll before Kemell came roaring back to take it.
I think wood gonna have this one. Will be interesting to see the vote distribution on 2nd place though. Gonna be interesting who is next

Flgatorguy87

Jul 7, 2011
East Nasty
If Wood truly is looking to move to C...then all bets are off for me as far as rankings for him. That could be a dramatic change for our prospect system and he would be the top choice without a doubt.

BigFatCat999

First Fubu and now Pred303. !@#$! you cancer
Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
Here's where it gets hard. I'm going with Tommasino. I think last year was a sophomore slump and I'm guessing he's top line next year. I know everyone has a hard-on for Wood because "HE MIGHT BE A CENTER!!" but he just got drafted. He's not even in Milwaukee yet.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Here's where it gets hard. I'm going with Tommasino. I think last year was a sophomore slump and I'm guessing he's top line next year. I know everyone has a hard-on for Wood because "HE MIGHT BE A CENTER!!" but he just got drafted. He's not even in Milwaukee yet.
I don't expect Wood to be a center. He was deadly at RW for Team Canada, and that's still where I expect him to play. It's "worth a try" to see if he can play there in the coming season if UConn is amenable, but normally those things have already sorted themselves out and vastly more centers end up going to wing (like Tomasino) than vice versa.

I rank Wood #1 just because I see him as our prospect with the most offensive upside, purely as a winger. He's the only guy who I would still hold out hope of becoming a > 1 ppg NHL star. Evangelista is probably closest to him in terms of this kind of hope, but Evangelista isn't going to be 6'4"/215. I see Evangelista and Tomasino and Kemell more as nice 60-80 pt offensive players if they hit their upside, i.e. more along the lines of Forsberg, Duchene, and Arvidsson... not the "next level" of star player we've been dreaming of. Doesn't matter C vs. Wing. Wood is our only guy who might yet hit that "next level". So that max upside potential still sneaks him into #1 for me, despite that it's early days.

Reactions: Viqsi

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
I realize Wood is going to win just don't know how you put him ahead of Evangelista right now.
Perceived potential vs current results. Evangelista year of his draft was near a PPG in the OHL. Wood year of draft is near a PPG in the NCAA as their youngest player. Evangelista has shown a whole lot since his draft and Wood is all potential. It just boils down to what you value more and how much more does Evangelista continue to improve

BigFatCat999

First Fubu and now Pred303. !@#$! you cancer
Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
I don't expect Wood to be a center. He was deadly at RW for Team Canada, and that's still where I expect him to play. It's "worth a try" to see if he can play there in the coming season if UConn is amenable, but normally those things have already sorted themselves out and vastly more centers end up going to wing (like Tomasino) than vice versa.

I rank Wood #1 just because I see him as our prospect with the most offensive upside, purely as a winger. He's the only guy who I would still hold out hope of becoming a > 1 ppg NHL star. Evangelista is probably closest to him in terms of this kind of hope, but Evangelista isn't going to be 6'4"/215. I see Evangelista and Tomasino and Kemell more as nice 60-80 pt offensive players if they hit their upside, i.e. more along the lines of Forsberg, Duchene, and Arvidsson... not the "next level" of star player we've been dreaming of. Doesn't matter C vs. Wing. Wood is our only guy who might yet hit that "next level". So that max upside potential still sneaks him into #1 for me, despite that it's early days.

You know who fit that positional profile Duchene.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
I'm not even sold they do have higher ceilings, they are just the new toys so everyone wants to pick them.
Ceilings are just a matter of impression at a certain age. At 17, nobody thought Tomasino or Evangelista had particularly high ceilings, hence why they were picked lower in the draft. Where does the impression of a prospect's ceiling go after 3 or 4 more years? Varies, seldom upwards though. Wood is possibly at his "peak ceiling" now after his incredible freshman year and U18 showing. Once he gets 3 or 4 years under his belt like Tomasino or Evangelista, we'll see where his perceived ceiling migrates to. I think if he again leads his NCAA team in scoring, possibly with 40-50 pts, makes the WJC team and is around a ppg, then his ceiling will at least stay where it is today, at the top of our prospect pool for another year.

But that's the thing about these "ceilings", they are just "impressions"... i.e. guesses... since prospect development is non-linear and highly individual, the best you can do is make some estimate against age/level peers, but that doesn't take any of the individual variables into consideration. Tolvanen is a great case of a guy whose ceiling "rose" dramatically after his ridiculous D+1 year. Parssinen's is practically still rising! It is isn't anything real, of course, it is just a measure of "hope" in a way. Hope somewhat influenced by performance to date and relative to peers. But still just hope. I might as well say "I have higher hopes for Wood" than I do for the other prospects as say "Wood has a higher ceiling".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad