Red Sox/MLB 2023 Off Season - Xander Bogaerts and Padres agree to 11-year, $280M deal

Status
Not open for further replies.

GatorMike

Jul 18, 2022
Woburn, MA
Yes they do. Many owners wanting to swoop in and think they can do better.

Look up how much Henry bought the team for compared to what they are worth now.

Incredible return
Listen, there's no doubt that owning the Red Sox has been a very profitable venture for FSG. I won't fight you on that at all.

I just don't understand the argument that making your team worse somehow makes it more valuable.

It's like saying you should trash your house right before you put it on the market because someone will pay more for a fixer-upper than for a house that doesn't need any work.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
I am puzzled as well. Somebody with a business background may be able to speak to the validity of this, but maybe Henry thinks the value of the team etc is bloated and makes it a difficult sell?

Edit: What I mean is the valuation was made on past growth and past accomplishments and maybe Henry feels there is nothing more to develop,off the field in particular.

So, bad teams sell for more money than good teams???

I'm not sure that's the case.

1 or 2 bad seasons won't change the Sox value 1 bit.

It is common practice to lower the operating cost of a business when going to sell it. It makes the business more attractive to a buyer. For a sports team that means shedding payroll so that the new buyer doesn't inherit long term financial obligations

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Listen, there's no doubt that owning the Red Sox has been a very profitable venture for FSG. I won't fight you on that at all.

I just don't understand the argument that making your team worse somehow makes it more valuable.

It's like saying you should trash your house right before you put it on the market because someone will pay more for a fixer-upper than for a house that doesn't need any work.
I think their goal is to build a playoff team without committing to anything substantial long term just in case they get an offer for the team they like. They’ve had the team for what, over 2 decades at this point? Might be time for them to move on

I’m pulling that completely out of my ass

Reactions: BruinsFanSince94

24giovanni

Aug 2, 2005
They still have more than 2x the payroll and will probably approach the CBT threshold again, it’s still an incredibly stupid thing to say

Arguments can certainly be made that they haven’t been run well. The argument that they are run like Tampa cannot be made in any way though. The Rays just gave out their biggest contract to a free agent ever. It was like 3/42. The Sox dropped 5/90 (100+ including posting fee) on a guy and fans are disappointed with their lack of spending. The Rays and Sox are in different universes in terms of how they are run. This isn’t even up for discussion
I didn't say they weren't spending money as you implied. I am referring to the fact they are being run like they are limited on the amount they spend on 1 guy. In other words, Instead of spending $30 a year on one played whose has proven he can play in Boston instead of 2 $15 million contract to an older RP and an unproven Japanese player who has never played in MLB..

GatorMike

Jul 18, 2022
Woburn, MA
I didn't say they weren't spending money as you implied. I am referring to the fact they are being run like they are limited on the amount they spend on 1 guy. In other words, Instead of spending $30 a year on one played whose has proven he can play in Boston instead of 2 $15 million contract to an older RP and an unproven Japanese player who has never played in MLB..
If the Red Sox end up around $235 million in payroll again, why would we care so much about how it's distributed?

Are you saying that it's not possible that Yoshida and Jansen could contribute more towards winning than Bogaerts and some one else making $750,000 who's at or near Replacement Level?

Reactions: CDJ

EvilDead

Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.
Nov 6, 2014
Taiwan
Lol they gave an unknown guy 5/90 and were by far the most aggressive team on him. They gave a closer 16 mill per. Both seen as overpays in the industry. How on earth is that discount shopping?

Doesn’t make them Tampa in approach! If anything it makes them the opposite

So much laziness with these takes. My god. Put in some effort and think for yourselves instead of parroting hack BS guys.

>Masataka Yoshida
>Unknown

Maybe to MLB fans yes. Yoshida is a pretty well respected player for his work in NPB and the Japanese National Team. Also, just because they were the most aggressive on one player when they have multiple holes to fill doesn't mean that they were being smart. It means they let other options slip through their fingers and needed to come up with something. And I say this as someone who is happy that Yoshida is on the team.

Reactions: Walkenthewalk

EvilDead

Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.
Nov 6, 2014
Taiwan

More damage to Red Sox then Yoko did to Beatles

Such a fraud

She didn’t know who he was Bwahahaha

Yah 30 year old women are into 60 year old dorks

Listen...why would you extend Xander Bogaerts when you can get more shoes for Linda? I mean she's TOTALLY not in it for the money. Makes sense to me. :sarcasm:

John Henry is the biggest sucker I have ever seen.

Chaim Bloom is just 100% against having an actual first baseman

What do you mean? They have a first baseman don't you know and his name is Bobby Dalbec! :sarcasm:

Dear God help me from not breaking something valuable.

EvilDead

Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.
Nov 6, 2014
Taiwan
1 or 2 bad seasons won't change the Sox value 1 bit.

It is common practice to lower the operating cost of a business when going to sell it. It makes the business more attractive to a buyer. For a sports team that means shedding payroll so that the new buyer doesn't inherit long term financial obligations

Bingo. It also gives them a fresh base to work with and build the team in their image than maintain the image leftover from the last group. It also gives an incoming group greater flexibility. Keep it lean to start or spend all the money.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
And none of that is similar to what Tampa does

Reactions: BruinsFanSince94

GatorMike

Jul 18, 2022
Woburn, MA
Bingo. It also gives them a fresh base to work with and build the team in their image than maintain the image leftover from the last group. It also gives an incoming group greater flexibility. Keep it lean to start or spend all the money.
I guess.

I mean as far as operating expenses go, player salaries aren't exactly the same as a regular company's payroll. You can't trade Karen from Accounting to your competitor for the rights to two college Juniors.

Mr Cartmenez

May 15, 2009
Mannheim
Another one bites the dust, but I am fine with that. They have several options left at SS/2B. Andrus, Carpenter, Segura. This is probably better value than surrendering draft picks and bonus pool money on top of 177m for Swanson.

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
Horrible. Looking like Christian Arroyo is our starting shortstop.

As for JD, if Hosmer's out of the picture then there's a spot for him. And despite the strange drop of homers he's still a doubles machine and a more productive hitter than Hosmer, but Hosmer was essentially free and they're going to probably be giving him $16 million or so. But they've got room to play with since they're under the luxury tax by about $40 million. And at least he'll provide leadership and continuity.

Decent deal. His wife plays for Chicago of the NWSL. So I totally get him wanting to go to Chicago.
The women's soccer league will probably fold by the time that contract is finished though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad