Red Sox/MLB 2023 Off-Season II: Yamamoto to Dodgers As Well

Status
Not open for further replies.

GatorMike

Jul 18, 2022
Woburn, MA
The Red Sox are currently projected to be roughly $50 million under the CBT threshold, and $70 million under the first escalator.

They're going to make some moves - I promise.

Reactions: dangermike

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
The Red Sox are currently projected to be roughly $50 million under the CBT threshold, and $70 million under the first escalator.

They're going to make some moves - I promise.
But are they gonna get top talent or overpay for the next level down like they did with Trevor Story

GatorMike

Jul 18, 2022
Woburn, MA
But are they gonna get top talent or overpay for the next level down like they did with Trevor Story
I still haven't written off Story.

Let's see how he performs when he's healthy and has a full Spring Training.

When he's played, he's given the Sox 3.3 WAR over 137 games. That's not terrible.

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
My concern is that they're building a culture of mediocrity that will discourage any big free agents from coming here even when they're throwing $400 million at them.

They don't have the financial leg-up on 70% of the league they used to. More teams have been willing to give major market money contracts to premium free agents. So you have to be able to sell the market, the culture, the history, and chances of victory. And it can be hard to get out of that cycle overnight. I think they're banking on landing a big fish like Yamamoto to turn it around, but are you really making yourself attractive to him vs. the other 16 teams offering him contracts? Then you're locked in this cycle until your farm system starts hitting, which could be a few years.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
I live here and if I was Ohtani and the world was my scallop I’d sign with Toronto.

Have any of you ever been to Canada or met a Canadian? It’s clean and the women all have clear skin.

Also you become the biggest thing up there since Shane Bieber.

No Canadian hockey team has won a Cup in 30 years and there is no end in sight.

Ohtani in Toronto makes so much sense

• Haha
Reactions: NeelyDan and Ritmo

yazmybaby

Sep 13, 2015
Brampton ON, Canada
I live here and if I was Ohtani and the world was my scallop I’d sign with Toronto.

Have any of you ever been to Canada or met a Canadian? It’s clean and the women all have clear skin.

Also you become the biggest thing up there since Shane Bieber.

No Canadian hockey team has won a Cup in 30 years and there is no end in sight.

Ohtani in Toronto makes so much sense
I have lived in Canada my whole life, about an hour and a half from Toronto.
Its a great place to live.
Lots to do in TO / great restaurants, have the CN Tower, the downtown area is very clean and well designed. The only issues I see are the taxes, which are around 30-40 percent here and is he being paid in CDN dollars or USD? The exchange rate is around 1.36 now, USD being worth more.
We have many famous people here, Jim Carrey / Drake / Avril Lavigne / don't forget that Keanu Reeves was raised in TO as well, so Ohtani does have some competition.

Mr Cartmenez

May 15, 2009
Mannheim
Is the Red Sox fanbase just accepting the fact that they an afterthought on all the high end talent? Seems like they are barely mentioned at all. How does that come together with the highest ticket prices in baseball?

If they miss out on Yamamoto, what are they going to do? Signing Montgomery, who is barely better than Eduardo Rodriguez (who just signed a more favorable contract)? How is that going to move the needle when they still have several more holes on their roster.

The reason they need to sign Yamamoto is a) making a huge splash that puts them back on the map and b) get a potential high end #2 who has yet to enter his prime, which would fit perfectly with their serious timeline beginning in 2-3 years.

The Red Sox were a middle of the road payroll team for a few years now, the can easily shoot through the luxury tax and re-set in a few years if needed when Sale and others are coming off the books.
The upcoming free agent classes are nowhere near close to this one and their farm system isn't all too promising in terms of arms. If they want to get their pitching fixed, they have to do it NOW.

Reactions: Johnnyduke

Therick67

Apr 6, 2009
South of Boston
I don’t get this whole….

”They’re looking at pitching first” garbage.

It‘s not like they only need pitching. Jesus…..if you want Hernandez, go out and sign him.

There are 24 hours in a day!

You can negotiate with more than one player at a time.

I don’t get it either. That’s like my wife telling me she likes me, but if she finds something better first she’s going with him.

• Haha
Reactions: sarge88

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
From today Globe

In 2023, the American League East was arguably the most brutal division in baseball history.
The Orioles, Rays, Blue Jays, Yankees, and Red Sox combined for a 449-361 record, a whopping .554 winning percentage. Outside of the division, the AL East teams had a 189-101 mark, a mind-blowing .652 winning percentage that would translate to a 106-56 record over a full season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad