Boston Bruins 2023 Off-Season CAP, Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk XIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

HustleB

Cautiously Optimistic
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2017
Welcome to the Jungle
It is mighty Eklund, and therefore has no basis in logic, but he says we are interested in Buchnevich. Where the trade assets or monies come from are anyone's guess.
Yeah, the Blues won big in trading for him and then signing him to a great contract. I fear the assets it would take to get him given the value.

SPLBRUIN

Mar 21, 2010
It is mighty Eklund, and therefore has no basis in logic, but he says we are interested in Buchnevich. Where the trade assets or monies come from are anyone's guess.

Buchnevich is a very good player but is a LW, so unless the Bruins view him as a Taylor Hall type of replacement to help drive a line it still dosen't address the problem at center.

Reactions: TCB

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
I believe that in order to win the Cup, you have to have a young (in his 20's) number 1 center driving your offense. You can go back 20 years and not find a single team that won with a #1 center over 30. When Boston won the Cup, Bergeron was 26. When Boston lost the Cup in 2019, O'Reilly was 26 and Bergeron was 33.

Vegas, Colorado, Tampa, Washington, Pittsburgh, Chicago, LA, Boston, Det, Car, NJ... All driven by #1C's in their 20's. Heck, you can go back 50 years and you'll only find a couple of exceptions during the clutch and grab era and even those exceptions are unusual (like Detroit with 11 HOF'ers and a 23 year old Datsyuk on the 3rd line).

So my theory is this... the Bruins didn't "choke" they were simply asking too much from guys who were too old. We know playoff hockey is a different beast than regular season hockey. It makes sense that they could put up impressive regular seasons and then get beat by younger, hungrier players when the refs throw out the rule book and it's no holds barred.
I don't buy this at all. I think it has more to do with teams bottoming out to build contenders thus having younger players. I'm of the opinion that there is more than one way to skin a cat . All those stats are true until they're not. I may be misguided but I wouldn't put any stock in that. Hockey is a funny game.

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
The Bruins have
Marchy
DeBrusk
Tfred
Lucic
JVR
Boqvist

All capable of playing LW, what do we need Buch for?
Apparently he played a small amount of time at center last year and looked good while doing it....small sample but could perhaps be a sneaky choice for top 6 C?

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
I don't buy this at all. I think it has more to do with teams bottoming out to build contenders thus having younger players. I'm of the opinion that there is more than one way to skin a cat . All those stats are true until they're not. I may be misguided but I wouldn't put any stock in that. Hockey is a funny game.
To each his own. I'm not interested in changing anyone's mind. There's enough evidence there for me to believe it and it makes sense to me that a young player in his prime would have an edge over an older player past his. I'm just putting it out there as an alternative viewpoint for folks who have a hard time seeing Bergeron as a "choker."

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
To each his own. I'm not interested in changing anyone's mind. There's enough evidence there for me to believe it and it makes sense to me that a young player in his prime would have an edge over an older player past his. I'm just putting it out there as an alternative viewpoint for folks who have a hard time seeing Bergeron as a "choker."
Choker is a little harsh , gonna be a hard sell around these parts but with that said history has shown what it has shown . Bergy has come up limping in every significant moment since 2013 but wasn't he in his 20's in 2013 ? Punctured lungs, groin, concussions, herniated discs .....

Reactions: PlayMakers

quietbruinfan

Salt and light
Feb 2, 2022
Land of Nod in the East of Eden
Buchnevich is a very good player but is a LW, so unless the Bruins view him as a Taylor Hall type of replacement to help drive a line it still dosen't address the problem at center.
I know, though thinking outside the box a bit, I think he can play either wing and could be a Jake replacement. We could then use Jake as part of a package for a center. (I really think JDB is going to ask for much more than they will pay.)

Caper Bruins fan

Dec 4, 2011
Cape Breton
Particularly when we were only 1 f***ing game away from winning in 2019 .

Reactions: BMC and JOKER 192

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
If Ullmark plays at a top 5 level next year, his value will be higher than it is now just because more teams will have space and know it wasn’t a fluke. Having only one year left on his contract will claw some of the value back, but I still think you get more for him next summer.
If they are willing to wait until next summer. That's the question.

If trades are underwhelming this season and at the trade deadline, I would wait. The old man will get his first round playoff gate, and then they will go from there.

Reactions: Gordoff

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
I don't think he's implicated in the team Canada stuff. What I think is happening here is that teams don't want to make the same mistake the Bruins made with Miller. As soon as the the investigation results are released he will likely have multiple offers provided he is innocent.
The statement is unequivocal. So, if the Young fellow is innocent, great. I hope he gets a decent deal. Perhaps with the Bruins.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
So you feel good that they choked against Chicago and St. Louis in the finals the way they did? And you're okay that they were one can dans in this year's playoffs despite setting records all season long for winning, and being the far superior team? What a really sad take.
Lonnie, I hope you aren’t gritting your teeth as you write this - your cyanide fake tooth goes before you are ready over a Bruins rant isn’t the way you want to go. The foaming of the mouth is whatever, you probably already are, but the blood - ewww

• Haha
Reactions: BMC and LSCII

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Calling Bergeron and Chara losers and that the culture they set isn't worth continuing is extreme though, you do get that right? Like that's basically what you said here:

This is extreme lol
It is, but only in response to the extreme on the other side. In reality, this is a team that should have won more than a single cup. The core was far more talented than that singular win and they had multiple kicks at the can but came up short. The loss to the Blues was a huge upset and that was absolutely a squandered opportunity.

• Love
Reactions: Gordoff and BMC

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
It is, but only in response to the extreme on the other side. In reality, this is a team that should have won more than a single cup. The core was far more talented than that singular win and they had multiple kicks at the can but came up short. The loss to the Blues was a huge upset and that was absolutely a squandered opportunity.
Karma is as real as your hand

When Cassidy scratched an All Time Blues captain for a couple of guys including Danton Heinen who was basically trying to survive shifts - it was over before it started

The Bruins play that game 100 times they win 80….there are no guarantees in sports but I’ll always feel Backes should have been in that lineup

He was good enough for game 3 in St. Louis a 7-2 win he was good enough to get 10 minutes in game 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad