GDT: 2023 NHL Draft

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
I want a couple of guys like Jones and Savard. They weren’t fighters. But nobody really started stuff when they were on the ice because they were big and tough. This is hockey. We seem to be chasing the next Cale Makar or next Brayden Point by going after a bunch of smaller guys with skill and hoping one is a lottery ticket instead of drafting a well rounded team that balances out the skilled guys we already have.
This is one draft. In the next one we can get the tough guys, there is a word "trade". Besides, even guys like that can play extremely hard. Think Theo Fleury, Sean Avery. James Malatesta and Justin Danforth aren't skyscrapers either, but they play hard. Mathieu Olivier is not afraid to fight with higher players. And I guarantee you that Malatesta -- Pinelli -- Danforth line would get on everyone's nerves.

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
My first point was don't get too worked up about how things go at the draft, especially one isolated draft. Simple.

Then you started with the hoops and that's when I apparently started reading too much into it. For example, your very first post said you don't want Fantilli and Jiricek fighting, you used the word fighting. Then you said later it's not about fighting and referenced Seth Jones, a high draft pick but apparently Fantilli and Jiricek don't count as counters to your point. So I pointed out other guys in the system and you said it's only in rounds 3-4. And now we're talking about motorcycles.

I want some big players and I want some big defensive minded players because that is how you win Cups. Pretty simple.

I don’t see this team moving in a direction that will win Cups. I think our front office is overly concerned with winning trades or drafting a guy who is better than his draft position would indicate, but as I have said numerous times, I don’t see an overall plan to put together a team that can compete for Cups. Some say I just don’t understand the plan, or there is a plan, but I just don’t like it. Ok, if the plan is don’t address the bad defense or bad goalie play and lose games and get more high draft picks and accumulate skilled wings in trades or free agency and then panic and overpay for a guy like Gudbranson or Severson because you realize you are screwing up, maybe I do see the plan and disagree with it.

Reactions: DJA

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
This is one draft. In the next one we can get the tough guys, there is a word "trade". Besides, even guys like that can play extremely hard. Think Theo Fleury, Sean Avery. James Malatesta and Justin Danforth aren't skyscrapers either, but they play hard. Mathieu Olivier is not afraid to fight with higher players. And I guarantee you that Malatesta -- Pinelli -- Danforth line would get on everyone's nerves.

The easiest guys to add are the scrappy guys like Danforth or Olivier, and the smaller ones are even easier to find. The harder guys to add are Eric Cernaks or Adam Pelechs or Brandon Carlos or Brian Doumolins - solid defensive guys with some good size. Everyone wants those guys and they cost a lot.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
I want some big players and I want some big defensive minded players because that is how you win Cups. Pretty simple.

I don’t see this team moving in a direction that will win Cups. I think our front office is overly concerned with winning trades or drafting a guy who is better than his draft position would indicate, but as I have said numerous times, I don’t see an overall plan to put together a team that can compete for Cups. Some say I just don’t understand the plan, or there is a plan, but I just don’t like it. Ok, if the plan is don’t address the bad defense or bad goalie play and lose games and get more high draft picks and accumulate skilled wings in trades or free agency and then panic and overpay for a guy like Gudbranson or Severson because you realize you are screwing up, maybe I do see the plan and disagree with it.
The first part of this post is not what your first post on this topic said. Your first post said you can’t believe Jarmo is drafting only little guys in this draft, shouldn’t we draft some big dudes to protect them?

I understand your point now. In my first post I said I pretty much agree with it. What I disagreed with was what you actually posted.

The rest is apparently just weeds.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I don't mind the Brindley pick at #34, and I really like the Whitelaw pick in the third round. He's a bigtime talent. I like the swing. I don't know Strathmann. Pinelli is where I'm starting to get upset that we blew all our picks on small guys, and in Pinelli's case he seems low upside. I'm curious what they see in him.

Reactions: DoingItCoolKiwi

DougKnowsBest

Feb 6, 2004
Newark, Ohio
i would have been thrilled getting fantilli and harabl... getting the top center and goalie prospects coming out of the draft is a huge win

but not being a goalie expert nor scout im not going to get to fussed over not taking him.... or anyone else for that matter. we got the key piece

Reactions: MAHJ71 and Fro

JacketsFanWest

Jun 14, 2005
Los Angeles, CA

The CBJ have done that and drafting based on size is just as useless. The CBJ wasting draft picks on Per Mårs and Kiel McLeod because Doug was so enamored with how big they were was one of the reasons the early drafts were so unproductive.

If they have skilled players and need someone with size, they can trade them. If they draft players who have 0% chance of ever playing in the NHL and no one else wants them, they have zero trade value.

CalBuckeyeRob

Feb 25, 2012
Outside of Fantilli this draft was very meh for me
After round 1, you are drafting a bunch of 18 year old prospects that are 3-5 years away from having a chance to be in the NHL. How exciting is any draft going to appear at this point?

Reactions: thebus88

tunnelvision

Jul 31, 2021
Pinelli is where I'm starting to get upset that we blew all our picks on small guys, and in Pinelli's case he seems low upside. I'm curious what they see in him.
At least his production went up in the OHL playoffs this year. Doesn't necessarily mean anything if he's on a good team surrounded by high-end talent but I think it's still worth mentioning. Maybe they liked his progress.

I'm going to watch some tapes over the weekend before giving final thoughts of our choices and CBJ's overall draft strategy (or the lack of). Can't say I'm familiar with any of these day 2 picks.

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
The CBJ have done that and drafting based on size is just as useless. The CBJ wasting draft picks on Per Mårs and Kiel McLeod because Doug was so enamored with how big they were was one of the reasons the early drafts were so unproductive.

If they have skilled players and need someone with size, they can trade them. If they draft players who have 0% chance of ever playing in the NHL and no one else wants them, they have zero trade value.

I want to draft well regarded players with size. Guys with 2nd and 3rd round grades with legit chances to be NHL players. I don’t want to use 4 straight picks on undersized guys with skill. Maybe one of those could have been used on a 6’4” guy who skates well and seems to have good positioning, but doesn’t have a great shot so he is not a 1st round talent. I’m not advocating for drafting a guy who is 6’7” 230 lbs who can’t skate. I am not advocating for using every pick on big guys.

When someone offers to trade us a 2nd pair D on a decent contract who can play defense and has an intimidating presence for Jordan Dumais and a 3rd rounder I will believe you can easily trade for size.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
A+ grade

You can pretty much guarantee A+ internet points if you just take the top 5'9 players available. As an actual draft strategy I'm skeptical. Dozens of these guys get drafted each year and yet there aren't that many of them in the NHL.

The Howson era had great day-two drafting with some big guys mixed in. Big hits on Savard, Anderson, and Jenner. No, you can't just swap your 5'9 picks for those guys later.

Reactions: koteka

alphafox

Jun 14, 2011
Finally got a chance to look at the full picks. Interesting draft but it's nothing but swinging for the fences after Fantilli. I would not be shocked if we get only Fantilli out of the whole draft and everyone else effectively washes out alternatively if we connect on a few of the picks this could be a massive draft that powers us to the next level. I really don't see any contributors lower in the lineup either these guys become special or they are in the ECHL.

As for who won the draft its gotta be Chicago Bedard, Moore, Gajan, were all potentially the best guys at their spots and the rest of the picks were all solid value or above.

Reactions: majormajor

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Lol everyone else absolutely loves our draft except the actual fans of the team. That’s hilarious to me.

As for me I’m not sure yet I need to look into these kids a bit. This is the least amount I’ve ever know about a draft (thanks work) so I’ll get into them tonight. I only scouted the top 10.

DoingItCoolKiwi

May 23, 2017
Some draft grades for fun. I'll just skip the last 4 rounds since I don't know the players, and in general the gaps between players are microscopic there.

FantilliABPA
BrindleyBI wanted Cristall, but it's not a bad pick.
WhitelawAInteresting pick. Saw him at Hlinka and while Musty ran that offense, I recall Whitelaw also looking like a potential 1st rounder. On a quick glance I can't see anyone I'd like better getting picked after him.

I guess that's a good A- draft then? Last season's mid round picks were a lot more exciting, though. This years draft was just a complete one man show for me.

Last edited:

Toe Pick

Jun 13, 2011
Columbus, OH
Size convo is interesting and got me looking through the past 3 drafts for the count of sub-6 ft players per round:

2023:
1st - 12 (2 top 10 - Bedard/Michkov)
2nd - 6
3rd - 5
4th - 13
5th - 2
6th - 8
7th - 5
TOTAL: 51

2022:
1st - 10 (2 top 10 - Cooley/Savoie)
2nd - 12
3rd - 9
4th - 7
5th - 8
6th - 9
7th - 7
TOTAL: 62

2021:
1st - 6 (1 top 10 - Eklund)
2nd - 13
3rd - 5
4th - 9
5th - 7
6th - 6
7th - 6
TOTAL: 52

JACKETS TOTALS:
2023 - 4/8 (Brindley, Whitelaw, Strathmann, Pinelli)
2022 - 3/7 (Mateychuk, Dumais, Ivanov)
2021 - 1/9 (Malatesta)
5W, 2D, 1G

Some interesting trends:

- teams tend to draft the majority of the sub-6ft players in the top two rounds which tells me you'd better be a highly skilled player with top half of the lineup potential if you're vertically challenged.

- teams tend to take a lot more swings on the bigger kids in the second half of the draft which tells me teams are looking for more of your role player / depth potential in those rounds.

What do these trends tell you?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad