• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
That's kind of fair.

Benson SHOULD be a lot better, technically speaking, but Newhook has wheels and was also touted as 'high motor' when he was drafted.
Benson has superior hockey IQ, but Newhook is bigger, faster and a better shooter. Benson is tougher to project at the NHL level as far as Im concerned since Ive my doubts the size/speed combo will translate well. Its not that I dont like him, I just find him a bit more risky and we already have Caufield on our top 6.

Last edited:
Reactions: River Meadow

HabsWhiteKnightLOL

Apr 29, 2017
Somewhere on earth in a hospital
I don't see the same level of killer instinct in Carlsson as compared to Michkov. Michkov wants destruction and wants to score. I feel Carlsson is more passive than Michkov. Michkov from the center ice forward, probably is the scariest player of the draft not named Bedard.
Michkov sounds like a winner , good god that would be bad missing the opportunity!

Jabba11

Hockey Lobby
Nov 28, 2009
hockeylobby.blogspot.com
Michkov sounds like a winner , good god that would be bad missing the opportunity!
Screen Shot 2023-06-27 at 8.56.56 PM.png

HuGo Burner Acc

Mar 30, 2016
If we get Carlson at 5, out center depth will be solved for a decade
He might turn out to be a winger. It's up in the air like malkin in 2004 which is why Pittsburg made sure to emphasize that they were drafting "centre, Evgeni Malkin". I think he'll probably end up a C but it's not as definite as a dvorsky for example

Reactions: SwiftyHab

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Michkov, Leonard or Benson. Please.

And if they really have no intention in drafting Michkov, well best case scenario trade with Flyers 7 and 22, take who's left between Leonard, Benson, Reinbacher or Dvorsky. Pick another good player at 22. Or go with Caps, pick the same guys available and Caps give us also 40, pick probably a goalie.

• Love
Reactions: Rozz and 417

JoelWarlord

May 7, 2012
Halifax
Which of these players was drafted 5OA or above?

How many forwards play a power game and score at a good rate and are under 6’? How many prospects of this mold have been drafted and busted?

We can analyze this and dig around or just wait till tomorrow evening to see if it’s worth our time.
That doesn't really matter, these guys I mentioned are all completely different players to Leonard, and to one another. I only bring them up because they're similar approximate body types and aren't really players that we think of as guys that get pushed around even though they're very different stylistically, they're just examples of how that size isn't really "small".

The two most direct recent comparisons would be Bennett and McTavish, I'm not gonna be a stickler about exactly sub 6'0 given Leonard was measured at 5'11.75 at the combine, and Bennett was famously the "can't do pull-ups" guy, so it's not like we're talking about hulking behemoths here, just an archetype and those guys are superficially similar. McTavish is heavier, Leonard is faster.

Otherwise idk, it's just tricky to really say because if I named other 5'10-5'11 prospects who were drafted high and produced the response will just be that they were more "skilled" than Leonard, because this is ultimately about semantics around terms like "power game" and "skill player", and essentially about branding rather than his actual skillset.

You're looking for me to list 5'11 power forwards who crash and bang like Corey Perry but that's not really Leonard's game either. He plays physical and has a nasty element but foundationally he's a fast forward with slick hands and a good shot who grew a ton as a playmaker the his year.

Reactions: WeThreeKings

malcb33

Apr 10, 2005
New Zealand
This is obviously with 5 included. 5 + 31 + 37 for 4. Thought it didn't need to be said.
If it was that easy I'm sure Huges would have already done it.

Moving into the top 4 would cost a lot more IMO. It's not just moving up one spot, it would be moving into the top tier of the draft, which would be very costly.

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
That's fair. I also value D like Reinbacher more than a ASP when it comes to no. 1 D. For example, Weber was the no. 1 D for team Canada and dude had average offensive skills and an amazing shot. So while some people here are crapping all over Reinbacher, I'm actually closer to you but I still have him outside the top 5
I think Reinbacher's offensive tools and upside are underrated. His transitional skills especially are phenomenal for a 18 yrs old kid, he can skate with the puck, can make short effective little passes, can make long outlet passes, kid is just really smart and already a presence on the ice. I think he will only keep getting better at everything.

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
There are a hell of a lot of possibilities tomorrow with the top 10.

3. Columbus rumoured to be interested in both Smith and Carlsson. Smith gaining late traction.

4. San Jose linked to Smith, Carlsson, Michkov, Leonard, Reinbacher.

5. Habs linked to Smith, Leonard, Reinbacher with outside mentions of Michkov and Benson. Carlsson would likely be a run to the podium situation.

6. Arizona linked to Reinbacher, Leonard and Dvorsky.

7. Philly linked to Michkov, Leonard, Reinbacher, Benson and Dvorsky.

8. Washington linked to Michkov and Dvorsky.

Detroit and St. Louis haven’t heard much but I imagine Sandin-Pellikka, Benson, Wood, and Moore are options there.

The most exciting part of this is always the crazy speculation and possibilities and then to see it actually unfold.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad