GDT: 2023 NHL Draft Day #2 - Nashville, TN - 8:00am (AZ) - Rounds 2-7 - NHLN, ESPN+

Freddy Sjostrom

Jun 24, 2018
Check this out, looking at the combine fitness tests results (only top 10):

Functional Movement Screen Total Score
1- Jonathan Castagna
3- Michael Hrabal
Left hand grip strength
5- Terrell Goldsmith
7- Michael Hrabal
10- Carson Musser
Right Hand grip strength
4- Carson Musser
VO2 Max duration
4- Carson Musser
6- Terrell Goldsmith
8- Michael Hrabal
VO2 Max (ml/kg/min)
5- Noel Nordh
Wingspan
1- Michael Hrabal 82.51
3- Carson Musser 79.75
No arm jump
8- Jonathan Castagna
Squat Jump
5- Jonathan Castagna
50 per cent of Body Weight (Power – watts/kg)
7- Jonathan Castagna
Pro Agility Left (sec)
2- Jonathan Castagna
Pro Agility Right (sec)
2- Jonathan Castagna
Wingate Mean Power Output (watts/kg)
10- Jonathan Castagna

gorsk11

Logan Cooley for the win.
Jun 25, 2008
AZ
Steven Ellis with the B+ :laugh:

I just went back and looked at draft grades over the past 6-7 years. Totally wrong for the most part. If you pick with the consensus list or get what is perceived as a faller... good grade.

It is clear to me that the North American list of players is a bit biased by all the media. After watching videos of the two picks I am quite happy. Size and skill players. And so far this scouting team has only had some successful picks.

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
I just went back and looked at draft grades over the past 6-7 years. Totally wrong for the most part. If you pick with the consensus list or get what is perceived as a faller... good grade.

It is clear to me that the North American list of players is a bit biased by all the media. After watching videos of the two picks I am quite happy. Size and skill players. And so far this scouting team has only had some successful picks.
Draft grades are just engagement fodder, what I find valuable are the redraft articles that come out 4-5 years later. That's where you start to see how well the scouts actually did in reality!

Reactions: gorsk11

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
They managed to draft four kids in the 3rd round that I’ve never heard of. Haha. I’ve heard of at least half of the kids who went in the 3rd round.

Dead Coyote

Oct 10, 2017
6- Simashev

Big bruising defender who skates very well for his size. Has some decent offensive tendencies but doesn't do anything elite offensively. Similar player to Reinbacher but bigger, meaner, and I assume the Coyotes felt he had more offensive upside. Didn't really show a lot on the stat sheet but played majority of the time in the KHL against men and looked very solid defensively there.

12- But
Big bruising winger (some people seem to think he might be a center? But not sure if he's ever actually played center before) power forward with a great shot. Physical player who also skates pretty well, has great puck handling skills and a quick release whether pass or shot.

38- Hrabel
Great goalie who's main draw is size, he's simply massive. That's not the only thing he has though as he's very technically sound and I thought he played super well internationally this year, was a big part of why the Czechs did well in the U18s.

70 - Castagna
Honestly never watched this guy but his scouting report says he skates well and thinks fast and is constantly working and putting in the effort. Also performed very well at the combine.

72- Nordh
Smart two way forward who has a solid motor. I'd say he has pretty good hockey IQ, isn't a super high skill guy but he has a good sense of positioning and can create chances through his ability to strip people of pucks and take away passing lanes, just an overall safe bet.

81- Ludtke
Pretty much the same story. Good two way forward, bit more of a playmaker, high compete level, etc.

88- Moroz
Overager who had a decent statline in the KHL this year. Not a great skater but he has good hands and vision, and at worst plays the cycle very well, getting pucks in deep and following up on them. Has a lot of offensive upside if he improves his skating and shot.

Didn't really watch the WHL so I have no idea bout the other two guys we drafted nor do I have any idea about the other goalie.

I will say there were a lot of guys I thought had high potential left that we did not grab and a lot of guys who fell as well. I definitely trust GMBA considering this sort of thing also happened last year though.

YotesFan47

Jun 16, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona USA

Sounds like they felt that they had a pretty good book on the Russians. Couple that with the notion that not all the teams got to see Russians at a rate they'd deem acceptable, and we may have a top 5 pick that slipped under the radar. I don't blame them for making sure they got their guy if that's the mindset, screw what the general public thinks.

YotesFan47

Jun 16, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona USA
8 of the top 9 forward group are 1st round selections. Every forward listed is a 3rd round or better selection.

But - Cooley - Guenther
Keller - Hayton - Schmaltz
Crouse - Geekie - Maccelli
Filitov/Lutz - McBain/Costagna - Matikka/Doan
Fisher

3 of the top 4 D are 1st round selections. Every defenseman listed is a 3rd round or better selection.

Simashev - Moser
Valimaki - Lamoureux
Duda/Langluis - Durzi/Kolyachonok

Hrabel
Vejmelka/Ingram

We have 17 more picks in the top 3 rounds of the next 3 drafts.

Cooley looks like the best player from the 2022 draft so far.

I'm getting pumped for our roster in 5 years time. We look very much on track to meet the parts of BA's plan he's made public.

Schemp

Nov 12, 2018
Forum 40
1 good thing about this draft is that nobody is sniffing, whatever, off of people's butt. Don't need that kind of stigmatization in forum 40. We already get enough crap as it is and it gives a bad impression on the Russians.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
8 of the top 9 forward group are 1st round selections. Every forward listed is a 3rd round or better selection.

But - Cooley - Guenther
Keller - Hayton - Schmaltz
Crouse - Geekie - Maccelli
Filitov/Lutz - McBain/Costagna - Matikka/Doan
Fisher

3 of the top 4 D are 1st round selections. Every defenseman listed is a 3rd round or better selection.

Simashev - Moser
Valimaki - Lamoureux
Duda/Langluis - Durzi/Kolyachonok

Hrabel
Vejmelka/Ingram

We have 17 more picks in the top 3 rounds of the next 3 drafts.

Cooley looks like the best player from the 2022 draft so far.

I'm getting pumped for our roster in 5 years time. We look very much on track to meet the parts of BA's plan he's made public.
We must be getting pretty f’ing good to move Keller to the 2nd line.

YotesFan47

Jun 16, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona USA
We must be getting pretty f’ing good to move Keller to the 2nd line.
It wasn't really a 1st, 2nd, 3rd thing. I started with just prospects but decided to build it out with players that could be here a long time. I've also chosen lines based on a few factors, like Maccelli/Crouse and Keller/Schmaltz being good partners. I also don't think Hayton played all that well with Maccelli and Crouse so I kept him with Keller and Schmaltz. I did try to keep 1st rounders at the top for ease of viewing. But could just as easily bust as he could be a 40 goal scorer in the NHL, But/Costagna/Doan could be a really cool line, or maybe Filatov/McBain/But.

Anyway, don't necessarily view these as 1st, 2nd, 3rd lines.

Reactions: Bonsai Tree

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad