2023 NCAA Division I Men's Hockey National Tournament Thread

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
Goaltending was a huge part of this one and Michigan G struggled and had a couple of flukes
Yeah, those bank shots from behind the bet can either be classified as smart shots or bad goals. The fourth goal he probably should have had though.

Hope Quinnipac can win their first title. Or at the very least have a close game. Some comments saying that Minnesota is going to run them over.

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
Yeah, those bank shots from behind the bet can either be classified as smart shots or bad goals. The fourth goal he probably should have had though.

Hope Quinnipac can win their first title. Or at the very least have a close game. Some comments saying that Minnesota is going to run them over.
The Gophers are a pretty deep, skilled team. Not sure if QUI can trap them in the neutral zone.

Reactions: Rob

Mathews28

Nov 24, 2008
Connecticut

I’ve seen that prediction yeah. But I saw it with Michigan too. At the outset of last nights game I thought Quinny was doomed. The talent and speed on Michigan is undeniable. But QU played a very smart and tactical game.

That’s my alma mater so I’m hoping they can come out on top. Either way it’s been another great year for them and for college hockey.

Reactions: Rob and JMCx4

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
I’ve seen that prediction yeah. But I saw it with Michigan too. At the outset of last nights game I thought Quinny was doomed. The talent and speed on Michigan is undeniable. But QU played a very smart and tactical game.

That’s my alma mater so I’m hoping they can come out on top. Either way it’s been another great year for them and for college hockey.
Bobcats game plan is to slow things down and score off of broken plays or turnovers. They've been very successful all season and in the Regionals/Frozen 4.
The Gophers have such depth that I'm not sure the Bobs can shut them down. If you compare rosters the Gophers have the " better" team but QUI is older, experienced and have a game plan other than 'throw out the big line and score 10 goals'.
I'd like to see an ECAC team win it all.

Reactions: Mathews28

Mathews28

Nov 24, 2008
Connecticut
Bobcats game plan is to slow things down and score off of broken plays or turnovers. They've been very successful all season and in the Regionals/Frozen 4.
The Gophers have such depth that I'm not sure the Bobs can shut them down. If you compare rosters the Gophers have the " better" team but QUI is older, experienced and have a game plan other than 'throw out the big line and score 10 goals'.
I hope they can pull it off. QU strength, ironically or not, is their lack of top notch first and second round NHL picks. Michigan loses a lot of talent after their Soph years. So constant turnover impacts ability to really learn their system, improve as a collective group that can withstand multiple styles of play etc.

QU guys stick around since they’re not super high picks (if they’re picked at all) and by the time you reach a final four you’ve got a number 23 and 24 year olds who know the system inside and out, playing against super talented 19 and 20 years olds.

I know me at 24 would have kicked my 19 year old ass bad in just about everything.

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
I hope they can pull it off. QU strength, ironically or not, is their lack of top notch first and second round NHL picks. Michigan loses a lot of talent after their Soph years. So constant turnover impacts ability to really learn their system, improve as a collective group that can withstand multiple styles of play etc.

QU guys stick around since they’re not super high picks (if they’re picked at all) and by the time you reach a final four you’ve got a number 23 and 24 year olds who know the system inside and out, playing against super talented 19 and 20 years olds.

I know me at 24 would have kicked my 19 year old ass bad in just about everything.
Agree with that assessment. Not knocking the 1-and-done schools but that format is boom or bust. Most of the ECAC teams are 3-4 year guys which gives them time to really learn the system. And, as you say, sprinkle in a few young studs and those teams can be very effective.

Shesty31

Jul 10, 2011
Connecticut

QU is my alma too. Praying we can pull out a win tonight!

swoopster

Politally incorrect
Dec 10, 2015
MI formerly MA
I like your talk and love the insight. I am not a fan of the 1-2 yr and done NCAA mega teams. There is never cohesive continuity, just studs on display and moving on. If I were playing for Q tonight, my pride would not allow me to be shown up by Minn. I'd play hard, hit hard and send a message. They must play textbook disciplined hockey...good luck Bobcats

Reactions: Mathews28

Summer Rose

Red Like Roses
May 3, 2012
Gainesville, Florida
Y'all make interesting points and make me respect the hell out of Quinnipiac. On the other hand, I'm a Coyotes fan and would like to see Logan Cooley win a national title. Then again, QU also has Sam Lipkin.

I'm torn on who to root for.

JMCx4

Censorship is the Sincerest Form of Flattery
Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
Y'all make interesting points and make me respect the hell out of Quinnipiac. On the other hand, I'm a Coyotes fan and would like to see Logan Cooley win a national title. Then again, QU also has Sam Lipkin.

I'm torn on who to root for.
I'm rooting for a game as competitive & dramatic as the two semifinal games. You can't ask for more. :popcorn:

Reactions: Summer Rose

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad