WC: 2023 IIHF Worlds Attendance

Faterson

Delayed Live forever
Sponsor
Sep 18, 2012
Bratislava
Of course. It's been said many times before. With normal prices, every game would be sold out. Issue closed.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Attendance summary after 20 games.

Riga Arena with capacity of 10 300 seats, average attendance 5482 fans, five games with attendance under 4000 fans. Norway vs Kazakhstan with lowest attendance (2870).

Nokia Arena with capacity of 13 300 seats, average attendance 8400 fans,
it Latvia the prices were nuts

Reactions: Kleefeld

Dala

Mar 1, 2006
Because there’s no Russia. Had Russia participated and played in Riga, it’s almost guaranteed all Russia games would’ve been sold out
Nah, wouldn't been able to travel. No visas for entry. No valid credit cards etc. Tournament in Riga with only Russia and Belarus as participants would have been weird as well.

(Well, unless you mean if Russia hadn't invaded Ukraine. If so, I agree.)

Last edited:

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
Nah, wouldn't been able to travel. No visas for entry. No valid credit cards etc. Tournament in Riga with only Russia and Belarus as participants would have been weird as well.

(Well, unless you mean if Russia hadn't invaded Ukraine. If so, I agree.)
Well, I obviously mean “under normal circumstances”

Reactions: Dala

jcbio11

Aug 17, 2008
Bratislava
Looking forward to doing my bit next year in Czechia. Probably won't be able to catch any Slovakia games as they'll sell out fast but I would like to travel to Ostrava and see something. I've never been to that town so I have no idea what to expect.

Reactions: Czechboy

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Looking forward to doing my bit next year in Czechia. Probably won't be able to catch any Slovakia games as they'll sell out fast but I would like to travel to Ostrava and see something. I've never been to that town so I have no idea what to expect.
See if you can find Lendl!

Old Man Jags

Mar 25, 2006
Bad air? (Although many of the coal mines there have reportedly closed business?)
The old nickname of the city was “Černá Ostrava” (black Ostrava) because of the coal mines and industry and resultant air pollution.. I hear that that has changed massively, but I don’t know. Even though I am Czech, I have never been there - never had any reason or incentive to travel there. I have not met a Czech yet who has been to Ostrava and said it was worth a visit…

Faterson

Delayed Live forever
Sponsor
Sep 18, 2012
Bratislava
But I played tennis there recreationally years ago. I mean, it is the Ivan Lendl city... And I didn't dislike the landscape at all, but I guess the air wasn't/isn't award-winning.

Old Man Jags

Mar 25, 2006
But I played tennis there recreationally years ago. I mean, it is the Ivan Lendl city... And I didn't dislike the landscape at all, but I guess the air wasn't/isn't award-winning.
Yes, Lendl is their most famous son I think.. the landscape in the region will be nice, just the city apparently not so much. (Of course, as I said, I do not actually speak of personal experience, but in any discussion about the ugliest city in the Czech Republic, Ostrava tends to feature quite prominently..)

Nexon

Apr 18, 2019
I am not from
Looking forward to doing my bit next year in Czechia. Probably won't be able to catch any Slovakia games as they'll sell out fast but I would like to travel to Ostrava and see something. I've never been to that town so I have no idea what to expec
I am not from Ostrava but I have been going there a lot and it changed drastically. 10 years ago you had a problem going to run there because you could not breath, nowadays it is quite fine. People living over there are often of problematic or gypsy descent so it is not the most safe town in Czech but if you keep yourself from certain places, it is quite pretty city.

Reactions: Old Man Jags

martygod12

Oct 27, 2019
As a guy born and raised in Ostrava, I must say its not that bad anymore, its a nice city, the "dangerous" parts are a bit exaggerrated and not near to where the fans will frequent at the WCH.

Also eventhough there is not that much to do as nightlife goes compared to Prague, there is still Stodolni street, which has a tons of pubs, bars and clubs, and I remember all or most of the foreign fans always gathering there in the evening back in 2015, it was always a really great atmosphere there. So I guess fans will be fine in Ostrava.

As for the tournament as a whole. I fear the tickets will be pricey too. I can already see like 100-150euro for Czech games lol. It could hopefully be a lot cheaper for other teams games, at least it was in 2015.

But even if there will be high prices It will still have great attendances imo. Its always a huge event in Czech Rep. Its relatively close from most parts of europe. Prague is a big tourist city, so it will draw a lot of people also.

Plus it can be a much better tournament quality wise. There are rumours, that Canada promised to bring stars if they are playing in Prague. Czechs will also bring the best available at the time imo, home tournament and especially after this year disaster of a tournament and terrbile performances, there will be a huge pressure for us to win gold or at least a medal, so I think no one will dare to refuse participation lol. And of course this could encourage other countries to also bring stronger rosters then this year, especially Finns and Swedes. And lastly Ostrava will almost be a home tournament for Slovaks and Polish fans so those are also a big attendance boosts.

So yeah it could be a top notch tournament again, especially if Canada brings something close to that 2015 team, it would be amazing and I am really looking forward to it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Faterson

Gold Standard

Sep 7, 2018
Because there’s no Russia. Had Russia participated and played in Riga, it’s almost guaranteed all Russia games would’ve been sold out

All I had to do was google one game of the 2019 WHC in Slovakia. Country whose name is not worthy of writing vs. Norway. Ondrej Nepela Arena capacity 10.055. Yet they fell a little short of a sell out that day with only 7698 in attendance.

So as usual. like everything else. You are wrong. It isn't a guarantee at all.

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
All I had to do was google one game of the 2019 WHC in Slovakia. Country whose name is not worthy of writing vs. Norway. Ondrej Nepela Arena capacity 10.055. Yet they fell a little short of a sell out that day with only 7698 in attendance.

So as usual. like everything else. You are wrong. It isn't a guarantee at all.
You are aware of how many ethnic Russians are there in Riga, right?

ozo

Feb 24, 2010
You are aware of how many ethnic Russians are there in Riga, right?
Dude, I love your work here on HFboards, but what is the point of your post in regards to this thread or more specifically previous comments? Ok allow Russia back into the tournament, but still always host the tournament in countries where there is sizeable Russian minority to profit from extra sellout games? Some, I emphasize, some posters try to spin that nothing matters unless team Russia is back - tournament is a failure, but poster you are quoting is just disagreeing with statement that Russia is a guaranteed sellout no matter what.

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
Dude, I love your work here on HFboards, but what is the point of your post in regards to this thread or more specifically previous comments? Ok allow Russia back into the tournament, but still always host the tournament in countries where there is sizeable Russian minority to profit from extra sellout games? Some, I emphasize, some posters try to spin that nothing matters unless team Russia is back - tournament is a failure, but poster you are quoting is just disagreeing with statement that Russia is a guaranteed sellout no matter what.
I mean it is very strange to compare Slovakia with almost no ethnic Russians living there to Riga.

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
I think it is not strange, unless every future WC is hosted in Riga.
I'm not exactly sure, maybe I've read this conversation incorrectly, but initially it was stated there would be a sellout for Russia games in Riga, then the previous poster replied that it wouldn't and used attendance in Slovakia as an argument and I pointed that it isn't exactly correct to compare those, as local fans there aren't as likely to attend Russia's games comparing to the local fans in Riga.

So everything was about a hypothetical attendance in Riga and not about the future tournaments (and this thread says 2023 attendance). I might have missed something here though.

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
Back in 2006 there weren't any sold out games with Russia in Riga. Similar numbers to other quarter final teams but nothing more.
Back in 2006 Team Russia wasn't much interesting to most of the fans even in Russia, it was after 2007 and, obviously, 2008 when some more hype stuff about it started to happen.

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
Back in 2006 there weren't any sold out games with Russia in Riga. Similar numbers to other quarter final teams but nothing more.
You’re correct, but Russia Hockey was still in a turmoil in 2006 and the roster was all RSL plus Ovie. That was also after the Olympics, and now there’s no best on best tournaments so WHC is the best thing available.

Popularity of the national team is miles higher now and Russia brings a top level roster every year.

Obviously what I said was under normal circumstances - no travel bans, etc

ozo

Feb 24, 2010
So everything was about a hypothetical attendance in Riga and not about the future tournaments (and this thread says 2023 attendance). I might have missed something here though.
If so - fair enough. I can't argue with that. I almost lumped you together with bad faith posters who think that KHL emergence is the holy grail to any other hockey nation other than Russia.

Reactions: Caser

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad