2023 Free Agent Frenzy

Marc the Habs Fan

Nov 30, 2002
Longueuil

The Blue Jays are expected to be a player for star outfielder Cody Bellinger now that they’ve lost out for Shohei Ohtani (and missed their opportunity for Juan Soto).

They seek a left-handed hitter, and options are limited.

The Cubs remain a threat to keep Bellinger, who’s said to have liked his first year on the North Side very much.

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
Man...Ohtani signing didn't quite cause the avalanche of deals I thought it would. Lots of minor deals, but tons of big names still on the board. Been very quiet over the last week or so.

Reactions: SnS

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
After a few years of being active from the start of the offseason the Angels have spent the last 3 weeks since losing Ohtani digging in their ass. Can only hope it’s because Arte is throwing in the towel and putting the team on the market again, or Perry is convincing him to blow up the roster and rebuild…

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland

I like this reclamation project a hell of a lot more than the Fedde signing

2 yrs at $15M for Fedde is absurd when his only success as pitcher came overseas. Flexen at least has recent ML success to hope for turnaround.

White Sox going all in on reclamation project pitchers it appears

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
I like this reclamation project a hell of a lot more than the Fedde signing

2 yrs at $15M for Fedde is absurd when his only success as pitcher came overseas. Flexen at least has recent ML success to hope for turnaround.

White Sox going all in on reclamation project pitchers it appears
Flexen only turned his career around after a stint overseas himself though

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
Training camps open in like 6 weeks and so many teams have done jack **** and so many good FA's remain.
A number of teams won't be spending any money this offseason due to the RSN crisis (some of which have been explicitly stated by insiders, others who haven't but won't anyways for this reason). Gonna be like 10 teams that sign all the players

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Training camps open in like 6 weeks and so many teams have done jack **** and so many good FA's remain.
Combination of the Bally collapse hurting teams that would have likely tried to shore themselves up and the market being poor.

No one wants to give Matt Chapman 150+ million after he sucked for 85% of the season and nobody wants to meet Boras' demands for Bellinger because no one is actually sure Bellinger is going to revert back to his terrible late LA days. Blake Snell was mid before randomly becoming a Cy Young winner again.

The only guy i'm kinda shocked doesn't have a deal is JD Martinez. He was great in LA as a merc and hasn't really posted a bad season ever in his career. Figured for sure that would get him a deal even if he's in his mid 30s.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Combination of the Bally collapse hurting teams that would have likely tried to shore themselves up and the market being poor.

No one wants to give Matt Chapman 150+ million after he sucked for 85% of the season and nobody wants to meet Boras' demands for Bellinger because no one is actually sure Bellinger is going to revert back to his terrible late LA days. Blake Snell was mid before randomly becoming a Cy Young winner again.

The only guy i'm kinda shocked doesn't have a deal is JD Martinez. He was great in LA as a merc and hasn't really posted a bad season ever in his career. Figured for sure that would get him a deal even if he's in his mid 30s.

Its interesting cause he received approximately 0 Cy Young votes between his wins.

That has to be some sort of record, no?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad