GDT: 2023 Draft - Wed, Jun 28 @ 5:00 MT & Thu, Jun 29 @ 9:00 MT

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
It's pretty early, but I am curious what player that is reasonable to draft would you like? I assume we'll draft anywhere from 14-22 if I'm going to be honest. Some noticeable names are Matthew Wood, Riley Heidt, Oliver Moore, Otto Stenberg, Axel Sandin-Pelikka, and David Reinbacher.

The first four are all promising forwards that would do well for us. The other two are 2-way defenseman, especially considering we have a good offensive Dman in the system in our prospect pool already.

1. Matthew Wood
2. Axel Sandin-Pelikka
3. Riley Heidt
4. David Reinbacher
5. Otto Stenberg
6. Oliver Moore

Last edited by a moderator:

Some Other Flame

Dec 4, 2010
If they don't make the playoffs, just finish in the bottom 11 to have a chance at winning the lottery. A small at Bedard is better than no chance at all.

But failing that, just look for some fridge with little to no skill. That'll make Sutter happy.

Bjornar Moxnes

Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
If they don't make the playoffs, just finish in the bottom 11 to have a chance at winning the lottery. A small at Bedard is better than no chance at all.

But failing that, just look for some fridge with little to no skill. That'll make Sutter happy.

Well if we have to do the inevitable, I'd pick Reinbacher, seems like a Sutter player that can be a Tanev lite.

23Monahan

Jul 2, 2018
Who cares they are just going to play ahl or bottom six minutes until we inevitably trade them to another team where they will thrive lol

DomBarr

Apr 7, 2014
It's pretty early, but I am curious what player that is reasonable to draft would you like? I assume we'll draft anywhere from 14-22 if I'm going to be honest. Some noticeable names are Matthew Wood, Riley Heidt, Oliver Moore, Otto Stenberg, Axel Sandin-Pelikka, and David Reinbacher.

The first four are all promising forwards that would do well for us. The other two are 2-way defenseman, especially considering we have a good offensive Dman in the system in our prospect pool already.

1. Matthew Wood
2. Axel Sandin-Pelikka
3. Riley Heidt
4. David Reinbacher
5. Otto Stenberg
6. Oliver Moore
How impressive that you think that Treliving/Sutter won't use the 2023 1st to try and stabilize/improve this team. If blazing speed, high IQ, RS and offensive skill are not part of their their scouting report we should pass on them. However Sutter likes quick passing and defensive skill so find the 50th ranked 2 way center and thats the player they will take.

FLAMESFAN

Feb 27, 2002
We better be keeping this pick, do we even have a 1st in 2024/2025?

Ritchie, Barlow, Musty, Stramel are all big forwards who should be available around mid 1st
Maybe Wood & Haltuunen.

2025 looks like a good year to win a lottery.

Bjornar Moxnes

Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
Bump. My top 5 picks that are reasonable where we pick are:

1. Axel Sandin Pelikka
2. Dimitri Simashev
3. Riley Heidt
4. Gabe Perreault
5. Matthew Wood

I would love it if we manage to get David Reinbacher.

DomBarr

Apr 7, 2014
Ha...if Sutter is still in the org, he has pull...so it will be either
1) Daniil But - he is Russian but he is the largest 1st round ranked player, has some offensive instincts for Sutter to kill and the Cherry on the top is he has skating issues so Sutter's "quick" game will fit him. Even though the Flames quick game gets killed by a fast skilled players.
2) Your pick of WHL center's who are known for being defensively sound with untapped offensive potential. Bonus points if they have some sort of small town upbringing.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
1. Bedard
2. Michkov
3. Fantilli
4. Carlsson
5. Smith
6. Sale
7. Sandin-pelikka
8. Benson
9. Yager
10. Reinbacher
11. Leonard
12. Moore
13. Dvorsky
14. Barlow
15. Wood
16. Danielson
17. Perrault

Honestly this is the deepest draft I can remember. Usually there is about 8-10 prospects that are legit blue chips. This year has 17 or more. Personally I think the Flames will miss out on the Cs and D. But one of Barlow, Wood or Perrault gives a potential top line offensive player, which we need.

Last edited:

DomBarr

Apr 7, 2014
If Sutter has input pick the biggest dman or Center with skating issues

My guess is they reach for Daniil But even though he is Russian

Dack

Jun 16, 2014
I just hope they swing for the fences. I wish we were picking earlier after such a god awful season though.

DomBarr

Apr 7, 2014
I just hope they swing for the fences. I wish we were picking earlier after such a god awful season though.
Wouldn’t that be a flames thing. Actual win the lottery to be able to pick 6th

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
I also like that Perrault kid. He’s small but has first line upside. He makes scoring goals look easy sometimes. He is the small winger we draft if all the Cs and D are gone. But I think he goes earlier than us after the u18s.

herashak

Mar 24, 2013
Between the USDP forwards, Yager, Wood, Dvorsky, Danielson, etc.. these guys could hit as top 6 forwards in 2/3 years, not the worst year to draft 16th

Reactions: Bjornar Moxnes

Bjornar Moxnes

Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
If Leonard, ASP, Reinbacher, Perreault, Danielson, and Wood are all gone by our pick, we absolutely need to reach and take Willander. He has legit 1D potential.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Biggest risers from U18s.

Sandin-Pelikka- he’s got wheels.

Perrault- he’s got skill. He just has ability to slow everything down. He has elite finishing ability. He could be the steal of this draft but I think he goes top 10 now for sure.

Wood- he’s been a pretty obvious top 10 pick caliber all season. Dominant against his peers.

Scoring winger with first line potential, two way center or a RD. Can’t really go wrong at 16 in this draft.

Reactions: Bjornar Moxnes

Bjornar Moxnes

Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
Biggest risers from U18s.

Sandin-Pelikka- he’s got wheels.

Perrault- he’s got skill. He just has ability to slow everything down. He has elite finishing ability. He could be the steal of this draft but I think he goes top 10 now for sure.

Wood- he’s been a pretty obvious top 10 pick caliber all season. Dominant against his peers.

Scoring winger with first line potential, two way center or a RD. Can’t really go wrong at 16 in this draft.

I suspect Vancouver might take ASP, but he's for sure my main pick at 16th/17th (If Florida doesn't make the CF). If we can end up with ASP and Willander in the first 2 rounds, I'd be ecstatic. Heck even reaching for Stenberg is worth it.

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad