Prospect Info: 2023 draft 4th overall Will Smith

Shark Finn

∀dministrator
Jan 5, 2012
Herwood
Just about as expected as it could have been for me. Not necessarily disappointed. I wish we could have landed Fantilli, though. Smith over Michkov makes a ton of sense due to Michkov's situation - you can really influence Smith's development better. And with Mickhov dropping to 7th other teams most likely had the same thought process. I really hope he actually develops into a center and doesn't turn into a winger.

Poster credit for my thread Sharks tank miss, now we get Smith :)
Surely, credit given! I wish my two dreams of Carlsson had come true, though.

hotcabbagesoup

why u guys want Celebrini, he played like a weenie
Feb 18, 2009
Reno, Nevada
He's got a pretty big butt but his frame is pretty small. Hoping he learns to lift weights in college. Get up to Crosby's speed and he'd be golden. Strong base, hard to knock off the puck.

Bizz

2023 LTIR Loophole* Cup Champions
Oct 17, 2007
San Jose
seems like a character guy that will be popular in the community as well. Been a while since we drafted someone like that, probably the last one I can think of is Hertl.

I may have some gripes about his game, but his demeanor and how he handles himself in interviews was pretty impressive.

Last edited:

timorous me

Gristled Veteran
Apr 14, 2010
I think he was certainly the BPA at that spot. Hopefully he lives up to expectations!

I was hoping for Carlsson, thank you Noah Gregor…
Who knows--I think there's a very real chance that Smith ends up the better player between him and Carlsson. Where would everyone put those odds? 33% chance, maybe?

karltonian

Jan 1, 2023
Well he's as tall as Patty so that's nice :)

I get passing on Michkov, as much of a painful one that might be if he does pan out. With all the terrible breaks the Sharks have been through leading up to us being where we are now, we really could not afford another one when a less risky 1C prospect was in front of us.

Imagine the mediocrity we'd be mired in if he never came over for whatever reason.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
Well he's as tall as Patty so that's nice :)

I get passing on Michkov, as much of a painful one that might be if he does pan out. With all the terrible breaks the Sharks have been through leading up to us being where we are now, we really could not afford another one when a less risky 1C prospect was in front of us.

Imagine the mediocrity we'd be mired in if he never came over for whatever reason.
How many times has the Michikov panned out, and how many times has he not?

Bizz

2023 LTIR Loophole* Cup Champions
Oct 17, 2007
San Jose
Who knows--I think there's a very real chance that Smith ends up the better player between him and Carlsson. Where would everyone put those odds? 33% chance, maybe?

Carlsson = Getzlaf
Fantilli = Tavares
Smith = Horvat

Smith was clearly the weakest center of the 3 (which is why I wasn't a fan of the pick), but they were both gone by that point so what can you do.

tiburon12

Jul 18, 2009
How many times has the Michikov panned out, and how many times has he not?
too hard to assign comparables, honestly. Are you talking a high-talent player who had issues that tanked his draft stock? Or are you talking Russian players signed to contracts?

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
too hard to assign comparables, honestly. Are you talking a high-talent player who had issues that tanked his draft stock? Or are you talking Russian players signed to contracts?
The former. Kopitar is the premier example of the player planning out. I suppose PK Subban as well...

tiburon12

Jul 18, 2009
The former. Kopitar is the premier example of the player planning out. I suppose PK Subban as well...
The CBJ Kopitar draft story is a great one. Classic old-boy overthinking.

But i feel like the issues with Michkov were more about what wasn't known rather than what was; every bit of info was 2nd hand. Different than Subban or Merkley or Lambert

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021

It's entirely possible Michkov didn't want to play for us. Between that, the contract, the character concerns and the prospect of spending more high end draft capital on a small winger, I understand passing on him.

I would have been fine with any of Smith, Reinbacher, Leonard or Dvorsky at this pick. I think Smith has a great chance to be at least a Nick Schmaltz level player which is nothing to sneeze at considering Schmaltz has averaged nearly a point per game in Arizona the past two years. We will likely continue to be terrible for the foreseeable future and accumulate more high picks. Smith is just one piece of the rebuild.

Reactions: coooldude

Stewie Griffin

What the deuce
May 9, 2019
Canada
Good pick. Even though Michkov is highly regarded, we got one of the best offensive players in the draft with the potential to be a 1C if he figures things out. We got a player excited to be drafted and play for us, and our best prospect in a LONG time.

Smith and Eklund will be tons of fun to watch for years, and a great start to our future core.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad