2023 Draft - 3rd Pick: Matt Copponi (C)

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
1 hobbit out.
1 hobbit in.

Know nothing about the guy but as a 20 year old college player should be in Bako in 2 years, if he elects to sign with the Oilers and if the Oilers offer him a contract.

Strange pick but it's the 7th round. Kid has as much a chance to play for the Oilers as I do.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
1 hobbit out.
1 hobbit in.

Know nothing about the guy but as a 20 year old college player should be in Bako in 2 years, if he elects to sign with the Oilers and if the Oilers offer him a contract.

Strange pick but it's the 7th round. Kid has as much a chance to play for the Oilers as I do.
First that's silly. 2nd, it isn't a strange pick he was a highly rated overage prospect.

The Oilers seem to have a mandate of grabbing overagers late, and this one is a nice pick with that idea in mind.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
At least he can score.

Probably less of a throwaway pick than the past few NCAA guys they've taken who have the offensive skillset of a Timbits player.

Reactions: bone

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
First that's silly. 2nd, it isn't a strange pick he was a highly rated overage prospect.

The Oilers seem to have a mandate of grabbing overagers late, and this one is a nice pick with that idea in mind.

What's silly? Little guy in, little guy out.

Strange pick as size seems to be the over reaching quality in the final round. I know nothing of him and it probably is a good pick but like I said, late 7th rounders have little chance of getting a sniff in the NHL. If he does then its great.

gordonhught

Feb 18, 2009
1 hobbit out.
1 hobbit in.

I dont know why they wouldnt at least try to pick an 18 year old WHLer who might have some upside.

Surprised that hardly any Edmonton kids drafted.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
I don't really understand going with NCAA overagers.

There's a snowball's chance in hell he ever sniffs the NHL and if he does, there's also a decent chance he just says he's going to sign with the Bruins or whoever instead.

I'd much rather be throwing picks at high upside CHLers or overagers that are already good pros in Europe.

Davo Ikinzom

Nov 28, 2013
First it’s a joke.

Second he’s listed as 5’10” 167 on what I read.

Third he’s a f***ing 7th round pick. The Oilers struggle with 1st round picks.

Loosen your underwear.

Doesn't look like it was a joke at all.

You made two posts calling him small and saying his size is a concern for a late draft pick. And then right after admit you know nothing about him, not even how tall or how much he weighed.

And then you have the gall to tell me to loosen up when you're the one getting all upset about who they used a 7th round pick on without even knowing anything about the guy.

Seems like you just want to be angry and have already decided you hate the pick. Very well, carry on.

larek

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I do t think any of the 3 will ever play a game for oilers - and that's understandable
They do t have a lot of young up and comers but what they do have is going to have to produce this seaosn

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Doesn't look like it was a joke at all.

You made two posts calling him small and saying his size is a concern for a late draft pick. And then right after admit you know nothing about him, not even how tall or how much he weighed.

And then you have the gall to tell me to loosen up when you're the one getting all upset about who they used a 7th round pick on without even knowing anything about the guy.

Seems like you just want to be angry and have already decided you hate the pick. Very well, carry on.

I think I know when I’m typing up a joke. 5’10” is small by NHL standards. But I guess now I’m “hating” on height challenged people?

I’m not upset in the least about the pick especially considering 7th rounders rarely if ever see NHL ice, but continue on with your outrage.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jimmi McJenkins

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad