Prospect Info: 2023 CHL Memorial Cup: Quebec Remparts beat Seattle Thunderbirds 5-0

jellybeans

Nov 9, 2007
I'm wondering if they lost purposely to the Petes to create more games for the others they completely dominated this tournament well except against the Petes.

Reactions: rahad and Habnot

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
More and more, I am starting to feel like the Q is massively underrated. Remparts destroyed that tournament. I feel like Halifax, Gatineau and perhaps even Sherbrooke would have challenged or even beat Kamloops, Peterborough and maybe even Seattle.

Is the LHJMQ the best league in Canada?

Or because it's weaker there is less talent being promoted to the AHL/NHL. Therefore the stronger teams keep their stars. Gaucher is pretty close to an NHL player right now (Guenther too, but what I'm saying is the Q has more of these players).

Sam de Mtl

Oct 11, 2021
Or because it's weaker there is less talent being promoted to the AHL/NHL. Therefore the stronger teams keep their stars. Gaucher is pretty close to an NHL player right now (Guenther too, but what I'm saying is the Q has more of these players).
It could be a factor, but I don't really see it. There a lot of players of similar ilk as Gaucher in all teams at the memorial cup.

If anything, the Remparts are much less star ladden than the other teams at the memorial cup (maybe similar profile as the Petes who surprised on their way to their championship). I guess you could compare Gaucher to Othmann. Quebec definitely didn't have an Owen Zellweger or a Korchinski in their lineup. Petes didn't either.

Wateredgarden

Oct 10, 2020
At the same time that Q players have seen a dip in NHL draftees(past 11 years) and overall NHL players, their league has become the most dominant junior league in Canada, and maybe the world. Can somebody explain?

Reactions: BLONG7

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
At the same time that Q players have seen a dip in NHL draftees(past 11 years) and overall NHL players, their league has become the most dominant junior league in Canada, and maybe the world. Can somebody explain?
Was thinking the same thing..............doesn't make sense...
The Q produces some major stars, like Mackinnon, and Crosby and of course some duds, Drouin, and others of course......................
Maybe Grant Mckeg can explain!! LOL

Jul 6, 2016
The Q produces some major stars, like Mackinnon, and Crosby and of course some duds, Drouin, and others of course......................
You should ask Timmins....:sarcasm:

SergeConstantin74

Always right.
Jul 7, 2007

The classic "you go with what you know". Most NHL executives are english speaking Canadians so when it comes to pick a similar player between Jeff Smith from Oshawa playing in the O or Simon Poirier from Shawinigan playing in the Q, they'll go with Smith. That's how the world goes.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com

People will look at it from different view points, you have your NHL fans and then you have just CHL fans. Of course many are likely fans of both but my point is how do you look at the situation. Do you look at it as a fan of an NHL team that is rooting on either a team or league, or are you looking at it as a fan of said CHL team.

As a Habs fan, I don't care where the pick is from, I just want them to pick the best player to help us win games at some point. I could care less about any junior team or league at the end of the day as the only thing that matters is what it means for the Habs. If I was say just a Remparts fan then clearly I'm looking at the Q winning and thinking how great it is for the league and who cares what NHL scouts think of the Q.

The classic "you go with what you know". Most NHL executives are english speaking Canadians so when it comes to pick a similar player between Jeff Smith from Oshawa playing in the O or Simon Poirier from Shawinigan playing in the Q, they'll go with Smith. That's how the world goes.

There's no way that's how NHL teams run their scouting rooms.

Reactions: Habnot and BLONG7

OnTheRun

/dev/null
May 17, 2014
There's no way that's how NHL teams run their scouting rooms.

He oversimplify it, but it's not that far from what is happening.

Lots of NHL execs come from the O, that's where their networks is, and if it come down on taking flyer on a player in late rounds, you're going to be biased toward the league you scouted the most, which in this case is going to be O (There's NHL teams without permanent Q scout still.)

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
He oversimplify it, but it's not that far from what is happening.

Lots of NHL execs come from the O, that's where their networks is, and if it come down on taking flyer on a player in late rounds, you're going to be biased toward the league you scouted the most, which in this case is going to be O (There's NHL teams without permanent Q scout still.)

I've talked to a number of NHL scouts over the years, oddly enough every single one of them was not from the O. Most posters on this board likely don't even understand how the scouting hierarchy works, as how can they but with how it's set up from my understanding would make it very hard to just dismiss a player because one speaks English and the other doesn't.

OnTheRun

/dev/null
May 17, 2014
I've talked to a number of NHL scouts over the years, oddly enough every single one of them was not from the O. Most posters on this board likely don't even understand how the scouting hierarchy works, as how can they but with how it's set up from my understanding would make it very hard to just dismiss a player because one speaks English and the other doesn't.

Well that's not the tie breaker here.

It just come down to being more familiar and watching the O more closely. So for late rounds picks where a bunch of choices can conceivably be considered "equivalent", they go with what they know.

Reactions: Guillermo

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
No way....................GM's could care less whether a kid, speaks Finnish, English, Russian or French......

Absolutely couldn't disagree more.

BPA every single time.................they are running a hockey team and a multi million dollar business.

OnTheRun

/dev/null
May 17, 2014
No way....................GM's could care less whether a kid, speaks Finnish, English, Russian or French......

Absolutely couldn't disagree more.

BPA every single time.................they are running a hockey team and a multi million dollar business.

That's not what he is saying.

And BPA become a -very- subjective concept when you are looking at who to pick @ 143 in the middle of the 5th round.

Habnot

Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
The Q winning 4 straight Memorial's has nothing to do with strength of league. I would argue that's it's easier to build super teams in the Q because there is less top end talent. Look at how far superior the top 4 teams in the Q were this year. The strength of a league is it's it's depth. The Q is far behind and is the dominant factor why there are less Q players drafted.

bcv

My french sucks.
Sep 18, 2010
The Q winning 4 straight Memorial's has nothing to do with strength of league. I would argue that's it's easier to build super teams in the Q because there is less top end talent. Look at how far superior the top 4 teams in the Q were this year. The strength of a league is it's it's depth. The Q is far behind and is the dominant factor why there are less Q players drafted.

Then why is there more bottom of the barrel teams in the O and W if only the Q is top heavy?

Also, how is it easier to build a super team when there is less top end talent? You think only 1 team is trying to win the Q each year?

So heavy that the Q had no team below 20 wins this season while the WHL and OHL had 3 and 1.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Funny how that works. I SWEAR that was the top argument when the Q wasn't winning the Mem Cup. That it was because the Q was the weakest league. And now that we win...it's NOT the argument? lol

Also, look at the bottom teams of each league. And tell me that the weaker teams in the O and the W did not permit every other team to benefit from them? Compared to the Q. Hence less disparity on top. Though, even the O, you could clearly the disparity between the first top 6 teams. While in the Q it's 4.

At best, the very best, you could say that there are better individuals prospects, based on potential NHL play, in the other leagues. I guess you could say that though I didn't check every year to see the percenetage of players that were drafted vs who actually played. 'Cause it's one thing to be drafted 'cause of bias...it,s another to actually play. But individuality doesn't mean team play. And until proven otherwise, when the best of our league beats the best of other leagues, and actually crush them...the burden of proof is on the other leagues...

Last edited:
Reactions: RBZ

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad