GDT: 2023-24 Western Conference Quarter Finals LA Kings vs Edmonton Oilers @7:00pm game 2 Edmonton leads 1-0

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steve Zissou

I'll order you a red cap and a Speedo.
Feb 3, 2006
City of Angels
Running to cvs to grab some lube before puck drop anybody need anything?

dumb-and-dumber-jim-carrey.gif

DoktorJeep

Winners of the Offseason
Aug 2, 2005
OC
Eight years and $80 million later and still not a single playoff series win.
Hey man, the loser who was previously in charge made trades to try and extend a championship window. Luc and Rob took over a disaster and had to build thing from ground zero.

DoktorJeep

Winners of the Offseason
Aug 2, 2005
OC
Is it just a coincidence that the coaches and TV guys are all wearing shades of purple?

Sausages

Apr 28, 2017
Like what?
My feeling at the time he took over was that he inherited a roster of aging studs and tweeners. Have you ever revisited the 2016 - 2018 rosters?

I don't think the fanbase was ready to give up hope on Kopitar and Doughty and whatever else was left of the corpse of the cup teams. At the time it was felt that scoring was the only problem. No one serious wanted to play here so he takes what he can in Kovalchuk. Not great, but, hey, he signed. At least Blake cut his losses.

The team had not been expected to decline so fast, otherwise Lombardi isn't let go and Sutter survives a bit longer, maybe.

Blake gets handed this lemon to fix and really should have torn it all down, including trading Doughty (and maybe Kopitar). There has been zero benefit keeping Doughty but we could have good young players developed by now (player development is a separate debate).

Anything he did was going to be a risk. Does he incur wrath by betraying (in the eyes of the base) the cup winning hero's, or does he attempt to ride the wounded horse through one more run.

When it comes to drafting, the fanbase seems to have been generally on board with selections at the time of being picked but there has obviously been some really bad luck with injuries, i.e. Turcotte and some that just turned out to be expendable journeymen (JAD, Bjornfot, Kupari).

I also think that better players are coming than traditionally have and that could possibly be because of respect for Rob Blake, the veteran.

It's OK if you don't agree. Happy to have a convivial back and forth. I don't post much coz I think the cynical put downs get to much here at times. Who needs that. My usual comments are light hearted observational nonsense or lame jokes which seem funny when I've smoked up. LOL.

RocketKing

Jul 2, 2017
Kings must do something significantly different or else they will lose. Like an old school shadow on McDickhead like what Kelly Buchburger did to Gretzky. And yeah I know you can’t waterski down the ice like back then.

RocketKing

Jul 2, 2017
Hey man, the loser who was previously in charge made trades to try and extend a championship window. Luc and Rob took over a disaster and had to build thing from ground zero.
You gotta be kidding here? Blake has had ample time to get his team in place and was gifted 11, 8, and a budding star in Kempe with a great deal of prime draft capital. And he BLEW IT. This is his bloody abortion of a sh1t house hockey team.

DoktorJeep

Winners of the Offseason
Aug 2, 2005
OC
You gotta be kidding here? Blake has had ample time to get his team in place and was gifted 11, 8, and a budding star in Kempe with a great deal of prime draft capital. And he BLEW IT. This is his bloody abortion of a sh1t house hockey team.
In fact, sir, yes, I was kidding.

Reactions: RocketKing

BaileyFan

Jun 14, 2023
My feeling at the time he took over was that he inherited a roster of aging studs and tweeners. Have you ever revisited the 2016 - 2018 rosters?

I don't think the fanbase was ready to give up hope on Kopitar and Doughty and whatever else was left of the corpse of the cup teams. At the time it was felt that scoring was the only problem. No one serious wanted to play here so he takes what he can in Kovalchuk. Not great, but, hey, he signed. At least Blake cut his losses.

The team had not been expected to decline so fast, otherwise Lombardi isn't let go and Sutter survives a bit longer, maybe.

Blake gets handed this lemon to fix and really should have torn it all down, including trading Doughty (and maybe Kopitar). There has been zero benefit keeping Doughty but we could have good young players developed by now (player development is a separate debate).

Anything he did was going to be a risk. Does he incur wrath by betraying (in the eyes of the base) the cup winning hero's, or does he attempt to ride the wounded horse through one more run.

When it comes to drafting, the fanbase seems to have been generally on board with selections at the time of being picked but there has obviously been some really bad luck with injuries, i.e. Turcotte and some that just turned out to be expendable journeymen (JAD, Bjornfot, Kupari).

I also think that better players are coming than traditionally have and that could possibly be because of respect for Rob Blake, the veteran.

It's OK if you don't agree. Happy to have a convivial back and forth. I don't post much coz I think the cynical put downs get to much here at times. Who needs that. My usual comments are light hearted observational nonsense or lame jokes which seem funny when I've smoked up. LOL.
I’ve never agreed with the idea that there was this intense fan pressure to keep Kopitar and Doughty “for the culture” once it looked like the rebuild was on. This is LA. I really think a good third of fans who go to games these days wouldn’t recognize either player off the ice and if they do they don’t have some deep understanding of what they’ve done in their careers. If either had been dealt for a good return, the fans would have quickly gotten over it.

I mean he traded Quick for no reason and still had plenty of folks lining up to shill for what a genius he was for trading a 1st for two rentals.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad