GDT: 2023-24 Western Conference Quarter Finals LA Kings vs Edmonton Oilers @7:00pm game 2 Edmonton leads 1-0

Status
Not open for further replies.

shuchukfan

Mar 11, 2015
OC
I do like the chicken sandwiches and chips at Ludo Bird, but I've only eaten there twice. I liked both times, though.

As for tonight's game, maybe this board's ads are trying to tell us something:

poop.jpg

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
I am probably going to watch the dvr'd Merseyside Derby and check the score of the Kings game on my phone.

Been a fan since 77, been my number one passion over the course of my entire life, but this organization is so damn depressing that I don't look forward to a goddam playoff game.

THAT is how poorly this team in managed.

Mentality and leadership are the two biggest deficiencies of the team on-ice.
Only missed a couple of handful of home games in-person from 2021-22 up to the Desjardin season.

Might not go to Friday's game. I never would have imagined a world where I'd contemplate not going to a playoff game that I had tickets for.

Been saying "I hate this team" for a couple of seasons. Just so bland (no offense) and mostly non-descript. Low on passion and testosterone. Granted, I'm 43 years old and that plays in to it a bit but I've never stopped being ready to fanboy or love a Kings player.

Nothing during my ~35 years of being a fan has been as bad as the near entirety of the Bluc years. Being a fan of the softest team in the league is sad. The offset to that would be winning but racking up around 100 points a season in low event, low testosterone games doesn't feel like winning. I used to not want to miss a home game because I didn't want to miss some amazing moment in person: I think I sold around 30 games this season and the only thing I missed that I wish I was there for was the Byfield goal against CBJ and that hit by Englund against Pittsburgh.

It just feels like you aren't going to miss anything special if you don't watch an entire Kings game. A real malaise across the longtime fan base. Like we've been put on a diet that restricts exciting hockey and we haven't been given a cheat day for six years. Playoff avatars created during/after the first game already being in process says it all.

The discourse here is "it could have and should have been better" v. pretty much "it is what it is and how is someone supposed to know". None of it changes the fact that the product we have is trash. I still have season seats and I'm still here talking about this trash because it literally makes me sad.

I envy those that just enjoy it for what it is but also feel like those are people that will give two thumbs up to any movie they see or meal they eat. This is not hockey the way it is supposed to be played and it is sucking the enjoyment out of being a fan.

Oh, and the food at Crypto is complete shit and has been for years. Bring back the cheesesteak at the smoking area outside. Actually, let's just bring back the smoking deck in general and I don't even smoke.

The Butcher

Mammoth Mooseknuckles Hockey
Sponsor
Mar 6, 2011
Mammoth Lakes
Only missed a couple of handful of home games in-person from 2021-22 up to the Desjardin season.

Might not go to Friday's game. I never would have imagined a world where I'd contemplate not going to a playoff game that I had tickets for.

Been saying "I hate this team" for a couple of seasons. Just so bland (no offense) and mostly non-descript. Low on passion and testosterone. Granted, I'm 43 years old and that plays in to it a bit but I've never stopped being ready to fanboy or love a Kings player.

Nothing during my ~35 years of being a fan has been as bad as the near entirety of the Bluc years. Being a fan of the softest team in the league is sad. The offset to that would be winning but racking up around 100 points a season in low event, low testosterone games doesn't feel like winning. I used to not want to miss a home game because I didn't want to miss some amazing moment in person: I think I sold around 30 games this season and the only thing I missed that I wish I was there for was the Byfield goal against CBJ and that hit by Englund against Pittsburgh.

It just feels like you aren't going to miss anything special if you don't watch an entire Kings game. A real malaise across the longtime fan base. Like we've been put on a diet that restricts exciting hockey and we haven't been given a cheat day for six years. Playoff avatars created during/after the first game already being in process says it all.

The discourse here is "it could have and should have been better" v. pretty much "it is what it is and how is someone supposed to know". None of it changes the fact that the product we have is trash. I still have season seats and I'm still here talking about this trash because it literally makes me sad.

I envy those that just enjoy it for what it is but also feel like those are people that will give two thumbs up to any movie they see or meal they eat. This is not hockey the way it is supposed to be played and it is sucking the enjoyment out of being a fan.

Oh, and the food at Crypto is complete shit and has been for years. Bring back the cheesesteak at the smoking area outside. Actually, let's just bring back the smoking deck in general and I don't even smoke.
I'm not there yet, but I would be if I had financially invested in the team the way you have.

Even investing my time into watching on TV has felt like a chore since 14. I feel you man. f***ing sad.

The Butcher

Mammoth Mooseknuckles Hockey
Sponsor
Mar 6, 2011
Mammoth Lakes
The mid and late 90's were definitely worse than this.
I'd have to agree but it's close, with the threat of getting much worse actually. The hope we had to see this team evolve only to witness this is pretty disheartening.

I'm waiting until this series is over to make my final assessment of this era of Kings hockey but things are pretty grim here on my end.

Reactions: kingsholygrail

Nasti

Jan 30, 2006
Long Beach, CA
Kind of funny how on paper, the Kings look deeper than the Oilers. Obviously the Oilers have the higher end talent but this feels more like it’s a problem with leadership, mentality, and just player mix.

I’m also in the same camp as those saying this isn’t exciting and that watching Kings hockey feels like a chore. In my 30+ years of fandom, I’ve never been less excited about playoff hockey. It really just feels like a waste of time this year.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
Talbot's last game in a Kings uniform
bold

i'd feel better if Clarke and Thomas were playing. this team needs some life...they were so flat last game, just watching Oilers fly by them. hopefully theyre sharper tonight and can stay out of the box
Clarke plays with so much piss and vinegar I cannot wait to see him in the playoffs when LA makes it back in three years

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
Kind of funny how on paper, the Kings look deeper than the Oilers. Obviously the Oilers have the higher end talent but this feels more like it’s a problem with leadership, mentality, and just player mix.

I’m also in the same camp as those saying this isn’t exciting and that watching Kings hockey feels like a chore. In my 30+ years of fandom, I’ve never been less excited about playoff hockey. It really just feels like a waste of time this year.

I disagree with this.
Down the middle:
McDavid> Kopitar, Leon>Danault, McLeod=/<PLDS (sadly its close)
Left Wing:
Henrique<Kempe, RNH =/< Moore, Kane<QB
Right Wing:
Hyman>Laf (and not close), Foegle=/<Arvidson, Perry< Fiala

Yay we when third line wingers!! I did not due 4th line because having a better fourth line should not be the goal. It should be closer than what happened the other day though but I keep going back to players not put in the right roles for their skillset.

SettlementRichie10

May 6, 2012

I’m 100% with you on the myopia. I think a part of it for me is realizing the Lombardi years were NOT some magnificent turning of the tide, but a total anomaly. As soon as the old guard could get rid of him, they did so, and less than a decade later we’re right back to the same crap as the early to mid-2000s.

I would say we could look forward to Blake getting fired, but we all know Bergevin will take over and Luc will still be sitting slackjawed atop the iron throne. Maybe a change in ownership shakes things up one day. Who knows. Sucks.

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
The mid and late 90's were definitely worse than this.
That's where being a teenager factors in. Life was easy and the hockey was tough. That 97-98 team was infinitely more entertaining than anything we've seen in the Bluc era. Blake's shining moment as a Kings player, Luc's return, Norstrom becoming a thing, Lappy hitting everything and the team making the playoffs for the first time in years.

You had loveable or memorable role players back then. So many guys are just farts in the wind these days but Doug Zmolek being willing to fight and lose to anyone in the league lives on forever to those of us that were there.

I’ll watch, I’ll root, I’ll post, I’ll probably go to bed frustrated and agitated down 2-0. Such is life. I’ve seen two more cups than I ever thought I would.
That is the better part I guess: I'll be agitated but only slightly whereas I'd be legit upset in the past.

In reality though, I want to still be very upset. That's what sucks.

Omni Owl

No fun, only 1-3-1
Mar 9, 2008
I'm gonna have to take ya'lls word for it about the 90's teams cuz I was too young to remember. But, I do remember that early 2000's era run where they upset a strong Detroit team and took the ridiculously stacked Avs (w/ Blake) to 7 games. I'm almost positive they would've made the Finals that year cuz they were stronger than the Blues and Roman Turek was a terrible goalie.

All The Kings Men

Apr 7, 2016
I'm gonna have to take ya'lls word for it about the 90's teams cuz I was too young to remember. But, I do remember that early 2000's era run where they upset a strong Detroit team and took the ridiculously stacked Avs (w/ Blake) to 7 games. I'm almost positive they would've made the Finals that year cuz they were stronger than the Blues and Roman Turek was a terrible goalie.
1994-5 to 98-1999 were SUPER boring and full of all kinds of tragedy.

Ownership sold the team. New ownership put the team in bankruptcy.

Both ownership groups wound up serving jail time.

They traded Gretzky.

None of the prospects turned into anything. The team missed the playoffs all but 1998 where they suffered an unbelievable loss to St. Louis.... it's traumatic stuff.

the POSITIVES were that AEG bought the club which eventually lead to the golden years

Master Yoda

LA Legends
Aug 6, 2003
El Paso
1994-5 to 98-1999 were SUPER boring and full of all kinds of tragedy.

Ownership sold the team. New ownership put the team in bankruptcy.

Both ownership groups wound up serving jail time.

They traded Gretzky.

None of the prospects turned into anything. The team missed the playoffs all but 1998 where they suffered an unbelievable loss to St. Louis.... it's traumatic stuff.

the POSITIVES were that AEG bought the club which eventually lead to the golden years
At least we had Bob Miller.

AbsentMojo

F-ing get up and hunt! Cmon Todd!
Apr 18, 2018
twitter.com
Clarke plays with so much piss and vinegar I cannot wait to see him in the playoffs when LA makes it back in three years
Clarke has way too much creativity and personality to be part of the current LAK roster. It would be disruptive to a system that is designed to bore their opponents into submission. Honestly its sad he's missing out on this experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad