Waived: 2023-24 Waivers Thread

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario
The original waiving team can reclaim him and put him in the minors.
Only if they are the only team claiming him.
If any other team puts in a claim, Florida has to keep him on their roster - and they need to be cap and roster compliant, meaning if they want to claim him for tomorrow, they have to be prepared that he may be forced onto their roster

Reactions: Petes2424

Some Other Flame

Dec 4, 2010
Flames were allegedly interested in Jaret Anderson-Dolan in the summer. They might claim him if so, especially since they could use a 4th line center since Schwindt & Hunt are terrible.

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
Only if they are the only team claiming him.
If any other team puts in a claim, Florida has to keep him on their roster - and they need to be cap and roster compliant, meaning if they want to claim him for tomorrow, they have to be prepared that he may be forced onto their roster
Correct and that’s why they likely don’t reclaim them….

Maybe Florida claims Denisenko because of how far down the waiver wire he went… making it to Vegas. The Sens though, have to be really careful because it was the exact opposite. There’s a much better chance Thomson is claimed by one of the teams beneath the Sens, and that would force him onto the roster.

Reactions: uncleben

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario
Correct and that’s why they likely don’t reclaim them….

Maybe Florida claims Denisenko because of how far down the waiver wire he went… making it to Vegas. The Sens though, have to be really careful because it was the exact opposite. There’s a much better chance Thomson is claimed by one of the teams beneath the Sens, and that would force him onto the roster.
After how Thomson showed up in Anaheim, it might be safe for the Sens to reclaim him too..!

caley

Aug 19, 2006
twitter.com
Somebody doesn't want to report to Pittsburgh?
I feel like this move was coming regardless. Never played for AHL Abbotsford last season, despite being on the 2nd year of his ELCm stayed in Europe. When Pittsburgh sent him immediately to Wheeling of the ECHL, rather than even their AHL affiliate, he probably saw the writing on the wall.

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
I feel like this move was coming regardless. Never played for AHL Abbotsford last season, despite being on the 2nd year of his ELCm stayed in Europe. When Pittsburgh sent him immediately to Wheeling of the ECHL, rather than even their AHL affiliate, he probably saw the writing on the wall.
Makes sense.. Thanks Caley!

Reactions: caley

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA

Pretty much. His inclusion was more about the roster spot than value and Plasek undoubtedly will find better work in Europe.

There wasn't much of a road leading him to the NHL with either franchise after that knee injury knocked him for almost all of that first season of his ELC and effectively knocked him off Vancouver's depth chart entirely. I doubt the Pens are upset with gaining a contract spot and I'm sure Plasek would rather play in Czechia than Wheeling.

That Habs Fan

Nov 29, 2008
Toronto

Montreal currently has 3 centers. Ruzicka is a huge Slovak (Slaf/Mesar connection) who plays center and would work on the 4th line.

Makes too much sense not to happen.

Reactions: Evgeny Oliker

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario
feels like the waiver claim % is really high this season.
Long stats, short:
In-season, it's actually slightly down

Since opening day, there have been 134 players waiver requests and 12 claims, or ~9.0% of waiver requests resulting in claims

Last year, from opening day (October 11) to this time last year (end of January), there were 176 waiver requests and 16 claims, for ~9.1%.
From the opening day (October 12) in 2021-22 to the end of January, there were 178 waiver requests and 20 claims, for a claim percentage of about ~11.2%.

So, we're running a little slower.

Where this season stands out is there was a large number of preseason claims, so while only 12 claims have happened in season, there have been 22 claims in total. (I didn't include preseason in my percentages above because there are just so many waiver requests during training camp that it really dilutes the number.)

Let's call this the raw number.

I've been tracking waivers since 2010-11.
The average number of raw waiver claims in a season since then (not including the anomalous 2021-22 season, the lockout 2012-13 season, the COVID 2019-20 & 2020-21 seasons, nor this current season) is 22.

Again, we're at 22 waiver claims so far, since training camp.
We're currently about 60% of the way through this season, so with 22 raw claims so far, we are pacing to finish with between 31 and 38 claims by the end of the playoffs. Pacing decently above the average!

The reason I left out 2021-22 above is because that season had 43 claims.
Just head and shoulders above the other seasons.

2010-1116
2011-1224
2012-1324Lockout-shortened, but many teams had holes from lapsed contracts and compliance buyouts
2013-1415
2014-1515
2015-1620
2016-1730
2017-1825Vegas Expansion Draft and player dilution
2018-1924
2019-2011COVID shortened; fewer games, shorter season and bubble hockey
2020-2121COVID shortened; fewer games, but longer season and taxi squads
2021-2243Seattle Expansion Draft and player dilution
2022-2329
2023-2422...... and counting!

Please, nobody ask me why I took the time to do this. I swear I am alright! We're just in between semesters at school and I have no marking or prepping! lol

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $5,720.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,447.00