2023-24 Utica Comets and ECHL thread

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
ECHL teams only dress 19 players (17 skaters & 2 goalies) for games.

They have 17 skaters without the Utica** guys, Blake is under “defensemen” but is F/D.

The last 3 Utica games only conflict with the first two games:

It shouldn’t be a problem.

I think that is exactly what I was saying.

Reactions: Guttersniped

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Middendorf to Adirondack

Bowers to Utica
Clarke to Utica

No other movement as of 5:22 today (4/16)

Springfield needs to give back Ryan Smith, some real bullshit that random non-affiliated AHL teams can keep loaned players like this.
Booo lol.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
It hasn't appeared on this site yet so here it is.

The Utica Comets have signed BC's Jack Malone to an ATO for the remaining 3 games this season and a 2-yr AHL contract beginning for the 24-25 season.

He was originally signed drafted by the Vancouver Canucks in the 6th round (#180) of the 2019 draft.

He played 4 seasons at NCAA Cornell and played this season for the NCAA Boston College Eagles and put up 12G/13A/25Pts. In his college career he has a .52 PPG.

He is a 23-yr-old, 6'1"/190 Lb RW/C which means he will probably be wing in Utica. With Wendt and Ghantous that means the Comets have acquired and signed 3 recent college players and all of them are RWs. With Stillman, Legare, and likely Clarke that's 6 RWs and building the team for next season hasn't even started/or has it?

Of course we have to realize that Clarke and Legare are RFAs and if they are re-signed would have to clear waivers. I don't think that would be a problem as neither is a major threat to make any NHL team's beginning season roster.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Utica comets lose to Syracuse Crunch 4-3. They are now officially eliminated from playoff contention.

Schmid surrendered 2 goals on 4 shots before being pulled in the 1st. Both shots were wristers from the top of the circle. glove side.
Daws came on and he also surrendered 2 goals, but on 6 shots. One of his goals was a also a wrister from the circle. In total Schmid and Daws lost the game giving up 4 goals on 10 shots. 3 of those 4 goals are stopped by decent beer league goalies.

They have had trouble with wrist shots from the circles all 3 seasons they have played in Utica. They lost in the playoffs in 21-22 because of goals against from those same circle shots. I might add that these 2 have given up the wrist shot goals from even farther out and from the boards. They are often beaten on these shots without ever moving.

In NJ there were huge complaints about the unscreened wrist shots that became goals when either of these 2 played. Vitek gave up the same goals among others.

If a professional goalie cannot stop that shot on a regular basis his days in North America are numbered.

In spite of the problems the Comets had with teams under Vancouver's management, the goalies were not bad. Eriksson, Cannata, Markstrom, Demko, Bachman, DiPietro, and even Kulbakov were not eaten alive by the circle wrist shots.

Incidentally, Poulter has also not been a victim of the phantom wrist shots. Probably how he managed to move into the top 10 keepers in the AHL before his demotion.

I get a funny feeling that we will only see one of Schmid or Daws next season paired with Poulter in Utica. The other will be lost in a summer trade. I am thinking Schmid will be the on the move. Somebody should be throwing baseballs to these guys every minute they are not on the ice all summer. I mean really throwing them hard and in no particlar location. Thus, making them have to move the glove to wehrer the ball has been thrown.

After they seem to have the idea down, have them put the mask and upper body armor on and move closer and keep whipping the ball to them.

I use to play pepper with the batter at home plate while I was maybe 20 feet away in front of a high school backstop. I had him HITTING THE DAMNED BALL! No tapping or half swinging like normal pepper. It is the best reflex game I have ever particpated in. I was actulally using it for baseball as I was playing for a very good semi-pro team in a very good league and as a 1st/3rd basemman was required to cheat way in on bunt situations and had guys swing away when I was charging with the pitch. It was very helpful when I moved to the goal crease when summer ended. Maybe Rogalski could use the tips. LOL

Last edited:

PizzaAndPucks

New Jersey Angels diehard
Nov 29, 2018
Schmid has been a train wreck pretty much all year. I'm hoping Poulter , Daws , Schmid or Brenanan can hold down the fort in Utica. I still think Daws will be an NHL backup goalie at minimum but he needs more time. Ideally none of those 4 should touch NHL ice this upcoming season unless there is injuries forcing them callee up. Fitzgerald is bringing in another goalie 100% to play with Allen. Can't have a repeat of this season in goal again.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Utica comets lose to Syracuse runch 4-3. They are now officially eliminated from playoff contention.

Schmid surrendered 2 goals on 4 shots before being pulled in the 1st. Both shots were wristers from the top of the circle. glove side.
Daws came on and he also surrendered 2 goals, but on 6 shots. One of his goals was a also a wrister from the circle. In total Schmid and Daws lost the game giving up 4 goals on 10 shots. 3 of those 4 goals are stopped by decent beer league goalies.

They have had trouble with wrist shots from the circles all 3 seasons they have played in Utica. They lost in the playoffs in 21-22 because of goals against from those same circle shots. I might add that these 2 have given up the wrist shot goals from even farther out and from the boards. They are often beaten on these shots without ever moving.

In NJ there were huge complaints about the unscreened wrist shots that became goals when either of these 2 played. Vitek gave up the same goals among others.

If a professional goalie cannot stop that shot on a regular basis his days in North America are numbered.

In spite of the problems the Comets had with teams under Vancouver's management, the goalies were not bad. Eriksson, Cannata, Markstrom, Demko, Bachman, DiPietro, and even Kulbakov were not eaten alive by the circle wrist shots.

Incidentally, Poulter has also not been a victim of the phantom wrist shots. Probably how he managed to move into the top 10 keepers in the AHL before his demotion.

I get a funny feeling that we will only see one of Schmid or Daws next season paired with Poulter in Utica. The other will be lost in a summer trade. I am thinking Schmid will be the on the move. Somebody should be throwing baseballs to these guys every minute they are not on the ice all summer. I mean really throwing them hard and in no particlar location. Thus, making them have to move the glove to wehrer the ball has been thrown.

After they seem to have the idea down, have them put the mask and upper body armor on and move closer and keep whipping the ball to them.

I use to play pepper with the batter at home plate while I was maybe 20 feet away in front of a high school backstop. I had him HITTING THE DAMNED BALL! No tapping or half swinging like normal pepper. It is the best reflex game I have ever particpated in. I was actulally using it for baseball as I was playing for a very good semi-pro team in a very good league and as a 1st/3rd basemman was required to cheat way in on bunt situations and had guys swing away when I was charging with the pitch. It was very helpful when I moved to the goal crease when summer ended. Maybe Rogalski could use the tips. LOL
We used a tennis ball serving machine to shoot the trnnis balls inside the gym. It worked well. You could set the machine to as much speed as you wanted and put it as close as you wanted. Similar idea to what you did. It definitely helped. Hopefully Rogalski is purged this offseason but my concern is he’s Brodeur’s buddy and will have plot armor.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
4/20/24
Utica Comets @ Syracuse Crunch

Last night's loss to the Crunch had no effect on the Comets push for the AHL Playoffs. Belleville won and that eliminated Utica no matter what they did this weekend. That makes this game one to go through the motions in order to get the season one game closer to the end of the season, Rochester at Utica tomorrow.

Forwards:
67 Parent/ 26 Schmelzer/ 51 Criscuolo
37 Wendt/ 21 Stevens/ 92 Clarke
79 Laberge/ 16 Engaras/ 11 Legare
24 Halonen/ 14 Bowers/ 13 Malone

D-pairs:
3 MacKinnon/ 5 Russo
93 Misyul/ 8 Hatakka
83 Vilen/ 2 Vukojevic

Goal - 40 Schmid

Scratches:
Kallgren (BU)
Wotherspoon
Osmanski
Fitzgerald
Gambardella (INJ)
Willman (INJ)
Stillman (INJ)

Ghantous was released from his PTO and reassigned to Adirondack
Ibragimov was also reassigned to Adirondack.

The Thunder lost 2-1 to Maine last night in game 1 of their Round 1 playoff series, 2-1.

Last edited:

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Syracuse scored on their 1st shot of the game for a 1-0 lead.

Schmid has been strong for the rest of the period thus far. The Crunch have controlled this game from the drop of the opening faceoff.

SOG at this point are 15-3 with 2:34 to go.

Period ends 1-0 Crunch.
SOG:
16-3 Crunch

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
It's hard to watch a team that knows they will finish the season as the last place team in the North Division. They are not exactly putting out an effort that reflects they care one way or the other.

Schmid let them down last night when they did play their asses off and they are paying him back in kind tonight. Not that there is any intent towards him as they are emotionally shot.

Maybe if they had put forth a little more effort in any of a couple games they blew throughout the season, it would be different. They would have more hockey to play this season. Instead, they have to finish the season against 2 of the Division's top team's in a very tight battle of their own for #1.

Rochester and Cleveland are tied with 86 points with 1 game left to play. Syracuse is in 1st with 87 points. Should the Crunch defeat the Comets , its' all over for Cleve and Roch.

Thus, it's no shock that the Crunch have chosen to take it to the Comets with everything they've got. This is their final game. It's win or pray neither Cleve or Roch win their last game. Rochester is playing Utica tomorrow in Utica. Syracuse has to know those odds are with the Amerks.

I can't believe the Comets have what it will take to knock Syracuse off the throne. Being humiliated shouldn't feel good either. This one is for nothing but pride. How much pride do they have?

Reactions: tailfins

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
The only sign of pride in the 1st came from Sam lebarge. He was given 17 minutes for a single altercation with the Crunch's Chris Harpur.

2 minutes for instigation
5 minutes for fighting
10 minute misconduct for instigation

Reactions: tailfins

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Stevens gets a double minor for high sticking. They were playing 4 on 4 at the time so this will start as a 4 on 3 PP for 90 seconds.

Schmid a big save on a WRISTER!

Now 5 on 4 for 2:21.

Comets get 2 on 1 and with :31 to go on the PK the shot is out of play. The Comets have been very good on these 2PPS. They have killed them both.

1:00 to go.

TV TO
:39 to go What a stupid time to have a TV TO. Oh well, got to have those 4 time outs /period.

2nd comes to an end.

2-1 Utica
SOG:
11-8 Syracuse

2-period total:
27-11 Syracuse

It appears the score by Halonen woke the Comets up. The lucky goal by Stevens off a defender's skate while he was ridding the crease of Clarke brought up the sense of pride tat was illustrated big time when they were whistled for a 4 minute minor for high sticking while killing another penalty at the time.
They killed the 4 on 3 of :90 seconds and still had 2:21 to go on the double minor.
They in turn killed that one as well. They stymied the Crunch all over the ice on both of those kills and sent the puck down the ice on several occasions.

Still a lot of hockey to play with the Crunch having a lot more to lose. However, the 2nd period alone has shown the Comets do still have some pride even if it's fragile.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Now we get to see just how much the Syracuse Crunch want the Division crown vs how fragile the Comets sense of pride is. Would be nice to see both issues answered in the positive.

3rd is underway.

Vukojevic has become a comets turnover machine this season. It has been noted by Dineen as well as he has been a healthy scratch a lot.

Crunch miss an open 6x4 net from a few feet. I mean no Schmid between the pipes and the guy just flat out missed the net.

The Crunch are turning it up and the Comets are on the run. Crunch turning up the physicality as well.

TV TO
11:51 to go

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
WENDT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Right from the slot on the fly.
It's 3-1 Comets on his 1st pro/AHL goal!Q

Wendt 9:07
3-1 Comets

Comets to the PP.
Just don't give up a shortie!

Just as I type it Schmid comes up huge on a 3 on 2 with a wide open shot from the trailer in the left circle. This PP has been much more dangerous against the Comets than for them.

PP is over.

Another Crunch 2 on 1 broken up by a backchecking Comet.

Down 2 the Crunch are throwing caution to the wind and the Comets are backtracking.

Now, with their first rush in a while Schmelzer fires a wrister past the keeper off a shot he wishes he had back.

Schmelzer 12:56
4-1 Comets

Now the Crunch score with 6 minutes to go.

If the Comets want this one they are going to have to match the Crunch's fierce determination.

4-2 Comets

My3Sons

Sponsor
WENDT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Right from the slot on the fly.
It's 3-1 Comets on his 1st pro/AHL goal!Q

Wendt 9:07
3-1 Comets

Comets to the PP.
Just don't give up a shortie!

Just as I type it Schmid comes up huge on a 3 on 2 with a wide open shot from the trailer in the left circle. This PP has been much more dangerous against the Comets than for them.

PP is over.

Another Crunch 2 on 1 broken up by a backchecking Comet.

Down 2 the Crunch are throwing caution to the wind and the Comets are backtracking.

Now, with their first rush in a while Schmelzer fires a wrister past the keeper off a shot he wishes he had back.

Schmelzer 12:56
4-1 Comets

Now the Crunch score with 6 minutes to go.

If the Comets want this one they are going to have to match the Crunch's fierce determination.

4-2 Comets
Isn’t George a little old to score his first pro goal?

Reactions: nugg and Bad Goalie

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
5 minutes

Comets are trying to play Dineen's sit back and defend game.

4 minutes to go.

3 to go
Hallverson is gone to the bench.

Icing Comets 2:35 to go.

Parent shoots it out and misses the net as it goes into the Syracuse corner for icing.

Parent now intercepts a pass at the top of the blueline and skates up the ice alone and ---------------------------------
SCORES into the empty net!

Parent 17:55
5-2 Comets.

Utica put their pride on the line and defeated a team after the North Division crown. Syracuse will now have to depend on Utica to defeat the Amerks tomorrow as well as having Toronto defeat Cleveland.

This one is over and the Comets win it 5-2 .

Last edited:

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
4/20/24
Utica Comets @ Syracuse Crunch
Recap

Final score:
Utica 5 - Syracuse 2

SOG:
UTC - 3 9 6 = 18
SYR - 16 11 12 = 39

PP
UTC - 0/2
SYR - 0/3

Scoring:
Halonen (20) from Vilen (26) and Russo (26)
Stevens (5) from Hatakka (14) and Legare (4)
Wendt (1) from Stevens (14) and Vilen (27)
Schmelzer (18) from Parent (30) and Vilen (28)
Parnet (15) unassisted EN

Akira Schmid SA / 39 - SVS / 37

3*s
3 - Topias Vilen (Utica Comets) A 3
2 - Waltteri (Syracuse Crunch) G 1 / A 1
1 - Nolan Stevens (Utica Comets) G 1 / A 1

Season 2023-24 finale tomorrow at 3 pm vs the Rochester Americans in Utica.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
RECAP
4/21/24
Rochester Americans @ Utica Comets

Final score - Rochester 3 Utica 2

Forwards:
24 Halonen/ 10 Dowling/ 92 Clarke
19 Fitzgerald/ 14 Bowers/ 37 Wendt

D-Pairs:
3 MacKinnon/ 23 Wotherspoon
8 Hatakka/ 5 Russo
93 Misyul/ 2 Vokojevic

Goal - 50 Daws

Scratches:
Schmid (BU)
Kallgren (H)
Stevens (H)
Malone (H)
Vilen (H)
Osmanski (H)
Gambardella (INJ)
Willman (INJ)
Stillman (INJ)

Period 1
0-0
SOG:
7-5 Rochester

Period 2
Rochester scored first at 2:24 of the period.

Utica struck back to tie it up at 8:12 on Graeme Clarke's 25th of the season.

Utica took a 2-1 lead at 10:33 when Dowling sent home a perfect Criscuolo centering pass. Dowling was straight up with Devon Levi in the low slot and beat him clean. It was PP goal #40 for the Comets.

The period ended that way, 2-1 Comets.

Period 3
The Amerks swarmed form the opening faceoff of the 3rd and the Comets were on their heels. Why they didn't expect a considerable uptick from the Amerks who had to have this game for a chance at clinching the North Division title was beyond me.

Their effort was successful as they scored at 5:35 to tie it up and 30 seconds later scored again at 6:05 to take what would be a winning 3-2 lead.

The Comets were kept off the score sheet by a combined defensive effort and the work of Levi.
Utica managed to put 15 shots on goal, but to no avail.

Final score 3-2 Rochester.

SOG:
ROC - 7 14 5 = 26
UTC - 5 13 15 = 33

PP:
ROC - 0/3
UTC - 1/2

Scoring
Clarke (25) from Hatakka (15) and Dowling (26)
Dowling (14) from Criscuolo (26) PP

Nico Daws 23/26

3*s
3 - Graeme Clarke (Utica Comets) 1 G
2 - Justin Dowling (Utica Comets) 1 G / 1 A
1 - Isak Rosen (Rochester Americans) 2 G

NJ Devils GM Tom Fitzgerald was in attendance tonight. He was wearing a very nice blue suit, pale blue dress shirt, no tie. To the NJ poster who said Fitz needed to get another sport coat, the suit he wore for us looked very good).

Nolan Stevens, last night's star of the game in the Comets 5-1 win over Syracuse, was scratched in favor of Ryan Fitzgerald. Maybe because daddy was going to be here? Comets were out of it and and just finishing up a poor season. Fitz either came to see his son play, as many surmised or as I was thinking, checking out the best Comets on NHL deals that he might be able to toss into some of his upcoming lesser trade deals. Those guys would be Clarke, Halonen, Hatakka, Misyul, and Daws.

Schmid and Vilen, both healthy healthy scratches, would also be in that mix.
Comets broadcaster Jason Shaya reported last night in Syracuse that several well known hockey people were in the building. Perhaps Fitz was one of them doing the same thing I have been thinking. In which case he got to watch Schmid (37 saves of 39 shots) and Vilen (assists 26, 27, & 28) last night.

My3Sons

Sponsor
RECAP
4/21/24
Rochester Americans @ Utica Comets

Final score - Rochester 3 Utica 2

Forwards:
24 Halonen/ 10 Dowling/ 92 Clarke
19 Fitzgerald/ 14 Bowers/ 37 Wendt

D-Pairs:
3 MacKinnon/ 23 Wotherspoon
8 Hatakka/ 5 Russo
93 Misyul/ 2 Vokojevic

Goal - 50 Daws

Scratches:
Schmid (BU)
Kallgren (H)
Stevens (H)
Malone (H)
Vilen (H)
Osmanski (H)
Gambardella (INJ)
Willman (INJ)
Stillman (INJ)

Period 1
0-0
SOG:
7-5 Rochester

Period 2
Rochester scored first at 2:24 of the period.

Utica struck back to tie it up at 8:12 on Graeme Clarke's 25th of the season.

Utica took a 2-1 lead at 10:33 when Dowling sent home a perfect Criscuolo centering pass. Dowling was straight up with Devon Levi in the low slot and beat him clean. It was PP goal #40 for the Comets.

The period ended that way, 2-1 Comets.

Period 3
The Amerks swarmed form the opening faceoff of the 3rd and the Comets were on their heels. Why they didn't expect a considerable uptick from the Amerks who had to have this game for a chance at clinching the North Division title was beyond me.

Their effort was successful as they scored at 5:35 to tie it up and 30 seconds later scored again at 6:05 to take what would be a winning 3-2 lead.

The Comets were kept off the score sheet by a combined defensive effort and the work of Levi.
Utica managed to put 15 shots on goal, but to no avail.

Final score 3-2 Rochester.

SOG:
ROC - 7 14 5 = 26
UTC - 5 13 15 = 33

PP:
ROC - 0/3
UTC - 1/2

Scoring
Clarke (25) from Hatakka (15) and Dowling (26)
Dowling (14) from Criscuolo (26) PP

Nico Daws 23/26

3*s
3 - Graeme Clarke (Utica Comets) 1 G
2 - Justin Dowling (Utica Comets) 1 G / 1 A
1 - Isak Rosen (Rochester Americans) 2 G

NJ Devils GM Tom Fitzgerald was in attendance tonight. He was wearing a very nice blue suit, pale blue dress shirt, no tie. To the NJ poster who said Fitz needed to get another sport coat, the suit he wore for us looked very good).

Nolan Stevens, last night's star of the game in the Comets 5-1 win over Syracuse, was scratched in favor of Ryan Fitzgerald. Maybe because daddy was going to be here? Comets were out of it and and just finishing up a poor season. Fitz either came to see his son play, as many surmised or as I was thinking, checking out the best Comets on NHL deals that he might be able to toss into some of his upcoming lesser trade deals. Those guys would be Clarke, Halonen, Hatakka, Misyul, and Daws.

Schmid and Vilen, both healthy healthy scratches, would also be in that mix.
Comets broadcaster Jason Shaya reported last night in Syracuse that several well known hockey people were in the building. Perhaps Fitz was one of them doing the same thing I have been thinking. In which case he got to watch Schmid (37 saves of 39 shots) and Vilen (assists 26, 27, & 28) last night.
Vilen had 3 assists last game and got healthy scratched?

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
The Thunder got reinforcements for Game 2, Utica returned Ghantous (and Ibragimov) and Springfield returned Smith:

Nearly a full 24 man roster, only waiting on D Will MacKinnon & F Filip Engaras from Utica.

Goal for the good guys in the 1st!

Another look at the 1st goal

Harper with his second goal in 1st.

The Poulter shuts the door.

The series is tied 1-1 and they play games 3-5 in Portland, ME next weekend.

Ratitude

May 2, 2020
Nature of the beast. We had the same exact issue with the NJ devils.
Utica exists for them.
Adirondack exist for us.
Who do you get your temporary replacements from? LOL
No Adirondack doesn't exist for Utica lol no way. We are definitely in the chain so to speak, but in no was does Adirondack "serve" Utica. Adirondack like most ECHL clubs are locally owned and can control their own destiny. Adirondack and ECHL clubs appreciate the role they play in the development of players but the AHL is systems development while the ECHL is more individual player development. Adirondack is not owned by NJ like the Comets are, Utica has absolutely no say or no control. Adirondack is killing Utica in attendance and fan suppprt as well. If someone said Adirondack could keep the Thunder as an ECHL team or become the Devils owned AHL club I would say Adirondack Thunder ECHL team any day of the week and twice on Sunday. The Devils don't care about Utica, or it's fans. Adirondack home grown local ownership, they care about success and the fan support shows.

Reactions: Guttersniped

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad