2023-24 Ted Lindsay Award finalists: Nikita Kucherov, Nathan MacKinnon, Auston Matthews

Mitch nylander

One of the biggest fans from a bipolar fanbase
Jun 2, 2016
I get all the Leafs hate but Matthews scoring the most goals we've seen since 2008 is worthy of a Lindsay nom IMHO. That stands out to players in a huge way. I've got no issue with him getting some love here.

MacK wins the Hart, Kuch wins the Lindsday. It's settled science folks

Exactly this.

The most goals since not 2008, but since 1996, (Mario Lemieux) while also receiving selke, and Byng finalist nominations.

I'd pick kuch for both, but I'd imagine mack gets some love too.

Reactions: x Tame Impala

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
Voter fatigue re McDavid. I honestly dont mind it though, Matthews had an unreal season and his peers felt it deserved recognition. Cant say I disagree with any of the 4.

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
Voter fatigue among the players?
Yeah, I think when you know these guys on a more personal and competitive level, you get to a point where you say "he's gotten his flowers" quicker than an outside observer.

In a field of 4 exceptional performances, 3 of them were achievements that pretty much no one would have believed before the season.

MacMacandBarbie

Dec 9, 2019
Players get voting fatigue too. Gretzky "only" won 5 Pearson/Lindsay awards when he should have would around 10.
I have heard Spittin Chiclets talk about this a bit, and how most players don't put much thought or effort into the vote at all, and certainly don't take it nearly as seriously as the media.
It's always funny to me to see people acting like their own personal opinion is more correct or holds more weight than the peers who are actually voting on their other peers.
I see most people just saying that this award means a lot less than the Hart, which is voted on by the media that puts actual efforts into watching these players throughout the season. The players are clueless with what is going on in the league, and anybody who follows the league likely is more plugged in then the average player.

Buck Naked

Can't-Stand-Ya
Aug 18, 2016
People really think the players, outside of a few, take things like this seriously..? Most of them look at the number 69 and go "yeaahh duuude". Last year they voted Erik Karlsson top 3 because 100, and although he had a fantastic season point wise, he sure as shit wasn't one of the three best players in the league.

Spargon

May 31, 2019
People really think the players, outside of a few, take things like this seriously..? Most of them look at the number 69 and go "yeaahh duuude". Last year they voted Erik Karlsson top 3 because 100, and although he had a fantastic season point wise, he sure as shit wasn't one of the three best players in the league.
Keep the same logic for the other 2 as well. Players probably saw 130+ pts and thought damn nice and picked the top 2 point getters. Your logic doesn't only apply to Matthews vote if that's the case.

Buck Naked

Can't-Stand-Ya
Aug 18, 2016
Keep the same logic for the other 2 as well. Players probably saw 130+ pts and thought damn nice and picked the top 2 point getters. Your logic doesn't only apply to Matthews vote if that's the case.

It's not even remotely the same. Two things that's not been done in 30+ years is not equal to something that was done last season.

Reactions: dukeofjive

Zbynek

Jarry friggin sucks dude
Jun 6, 2011
Madrid, Spain
I was going to say something snarky, but then Youtube suggested me "Maple Leafs choke compilation 2013-2024", so I'll just bite my tongue instead and say congrats Matthews on the Selke and Ted Lindsay noms!

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
You’re right man.

-69 goals, 10+ more than the next player (most in 30 years)

-Nominated for Selke (has a rocket winner ever been nominated/won a Selke?)

-Nominated for Byng

Legitimately one of the greatest regular seasons of our time.
6th in league scoring.. THIRTYSEVEN points behind the leader…

Leaf fans: Greatest Regular season ever ???

Reactions: The Macho King

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
And, magically, 60 points ahead of his 2 linemates who played the last 30 games on his wings.
A whopping what, 8 points ahead of his teammate?

Did you see what Kucherov did with his line mates, and his whole team, the entire season?

Pastrnak also had more points than Matthews while playing the majority of the season with Pavel Zacha and Danton Heinen. Again, lapping his entire team.

But sure, Matthews had one of the best seasons “of all time” :laugh:

Reactions: GirardSpinorama

pcruz

Mar 7, 2013
Vaughan
A whopping what, 8 points ahead of his teammate?

Did you see what Kucherov did with his line mates, and his whole team, the entire season?

Pastrnak also had more points than Matthews while playing the majority of the season with Pavel Zacha and Danton Heinen. Again, lapping his entire team.

But sure, Matthews had one of the best seasons “of all time” :laugh:

I assume, safely of course, that you've never played or watched hockey.

It's a little difficult to contribute directly to a goal when you're sitting on the bench because the goal was scored by a line you're not a part of.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
I assume, safely of course, that you've never played or watched hockey.

It's a little difficult to contribute directly to a goal when you're sitting on the bench because the goal was scored by a line you're not a part of.
How much of the season did Matthews play with Marner and Nylander?

I’ll give you a hint: it’s infinitely more than Pastrnak did, and he still outscored him.

The same applies to Kucherov, who VASTLY put scored him.

But again, “greatest season of all time” :laugh:

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
6th in league scoring.. THIRTYSEVEN points behind the leader…

Leaf fans: Greatest Regular season ever ???

Yet 25 goals more than Kucherov. 18 more goals than MacKinnon.

Leafs fans are correct on this one. Fantastic season. You have to look at the overall picture.

Leafsfanperson

Jan 27, 2024
In what world was Matthews a better player than McDavid? :laugh:
In a world where Auston scores 69 goals, gets nominated for the Selke but Mak steals his Hart nomination.

Yes McDavid is better, but Mathews is number two and it's not close, he plays in the wrong market to recognized.

12ozPapa

Make space for The Papa
Feb 13, 2012
In a world where Auston scores 69 goals, gets nominated for the Selke but Mak steals his Hart nomination.

Yes McDavid is better, but Mathews is number two and it's not close, he plays in the wrong market to recognized.
Huh? Matthews plays in the wrong market to get recognized? Are you being sarcastic?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad